The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old June 1, 2022, 09:10 AM   #1
FoghornLeghorn

Recommend Quick Release scope mount?

I'm looking at American Defense brand. Hopefully a brand that will not necessitate re-zeroing after removed and reinstalled? Usage is not for precision target work but rather for hogs/deer sized target at <200 yards?

Is that a good brand? Anybody recommend a particular model within that brand?

thnx
Old June 1, 2022, 06:07 PM   #2
BornFighting88

Warne is my favorite brand. They use a square cross bar that seats great in slots.
Old June 1, 2022, 06:36 PM   #3
Polinese

I've heard good things on the American Defense. I'm using several Larue mounts and never had issues with returning to zero.
Old June 1, 2022, 08:27 PM   #4
Shadow9mm

I have looked at American Defense before, and they look really nice, just too expensive for me. I am currently looking at the Midwest Industries mount, which are going for about $190 on midway. the Warne just looked overly bulky to me.
Old June 2, 2022, 09:38 AM   #5
taylorce1

I've only used Leupold QR rings and bases and QRW rings. They were mainly used on rifles that I was taking to AK to hunt. I only had them in case my scope didn't survive the plane rides or the boat trips, and I needed to use the iron sights. I

I did test the RTZ of both systems, and they were close but not perfect, probably within 1.5" of original zero using the levers. Not enough to change my chances of success at 200 yards. If you're using a Pic rail just buy a set of rings you can use a fat wrench or other torque wrench on. Consistency is going to be key when removing and re-installing your optics and RTZ.
Old November 17, 2022, 03:24 PM   #6
Doberman1

I have both an American Defense and a Larue Quick detach mount. Both had no issues with returning to zero. The Larue was a bit more costly than the American Defense. I'd recommend either one.
Old November 17, 2022, 10:29 PM   #7
Shadow9mm

Never used a qd system that did not require a zero check after taking it off. My thought was alway that it was an emergency release so you could use your backup sights.
Old November 20, 2022, 11:24 AM   #8
berettaprofessor

I have Warne on several rimfire takedowns. All return to zero every time. In fact, once, on a 10/22 I thought the 4X32 scope on it was off. It turned out that I had canted the front mount when I remounted the scope and tightened it down. Reseated the mount and it was suddenly okay again.
Old November 20, 2022, 07:38 PM   #9
nettle

I have Warne Maxima QD rings on (4) rifles. Most recently a new M1A.

Old November 28, 2022, 02:00 AM   #10
bamaranger

two

I've used a set of Leupold QRL rings on an early Savage 10C Scout in .308 for at least 20 years. Return to zero is not always absolute, but always within 1 MOA. The IER set up is for a Leupold 2.75x a scout scope. In the past 5 yrs or so, I acquired a Burris 2-7x scoutscope and Warne QR lever rings and have noted the same performance as the Leupolds. Return to zero is within 1 MOA or less. I use the two QR set ups on the same old Savage 10C .308 Scout.

Note I do not mount/dismount the scopes on a daily basis or dork with them back and forth for grins. I run the 2.75X about 75% of the time for GP use, and utilize the 2-7x variable a bit if I hunt the rifle on whitetails. I've shot/dismounted and remounted/ shot the rigs in testing that I have no qualms about swapping scopes and taking a shot on whitetails or some type of threat, but do not claim the arrangement as a precision rig, but a practical arrangement for two different reticles and a spare scope on hand (well, nearby anyhow) if needed.
Old November 28, 2022, 02:01 AM   #11
FrankenMauser

For what rifle?
Old January 23, 2023, 05:01 PM   #12
Doberman1

I too like the American Defense QD mount. Can't go wrong with Larue either.
Old January 23, 2023, 10:31 PM   #13
Nathan

I’m going to second or third Warne QD mounts on many rifles. Also, ADM on AR15.