The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old March 4, 2017, 02:29 AM   #51
rock185

I may have missed it, but does Colt actually manufacture that? I don't know, just something about it makes me wonder if it's actually manufactured by Colt. Or possibly someone like U.S. Armament, Taurus, Charter Arms, etc?
Old March 4, 2017, 06:29 AM   #52
shootbrownelk

My latest issue of Guns & Ammo has a feature article on the Cobra. The Colt representative said that the old Cobra wood grips will fit the new Cobra. Grip makers are supposedly dusting-off their Cobra grip patterns for this new example. The wait to buy a new Cobra might indeed be a long one. The trigger is a most impressive feature, much lighter & smoother than a S&W, they say. The gun is quite a bit heavier than an airweight however. I'll take a look when they become more available.
Old March 4, 2017, 02:14 PM   #53
dgludwig

Quote:
The gun is quite a bit heavier than an airweight however.
Given the popularity of the ccw market in America today, I think Colt missed the boat when they opted to make the "new Cobra" out of steel (for this reason, why didn't they call it the Detective Special?) instead of an aluminum alloy like the original Cobra.
Old March 4, 2017, 03:07 PM   #54
OldMarksman
Staff

Quote:
Given the popularity of the ccw market in America today, I think Colt missed the boat when they opted to make the "new Cobra" out of steel...instead of an aluminum alloy like the original Cobra.
Probably comfort, longevity, and durability. The Cobra required periodic trips to the factory.

Quote:
.... (for this reason, why didn't they call it the Detective Special?)
Marketing. Most detectives who carried revolvers are in old folks homes or are dead and gone.
Old March 4, 2017, 03:23 PM   #55
dgludwig

Most detectives who carried Cobras are there too. Last time I looked, the term "Chiefs Special" is still a marketable name.
Old March 4, 2017, 03:34 PM   #56
dgludwig

Quote:
Quote:
Given the popularity of the ccw market in America today, I think Colt missed the boat when they opted to make the "new Cobra" out of steel...instead of an aluminum alloy like the original Cobra

Probably comfort, longevity, and durability. The Cobra required periodic trips to the factory.
My guess is that most of the people buying snub-nosed revolvers today are buying them for EDC and that a large percentage of them want the revolver as light and compact as practical. The new Cobra is not the same internally as the original and there's no reason that I can see that prevents Colt from making a revolver every bit as durable and as long-lived as Smith Airweight J-frame and alloy-framed Ruger LCR revolvers are.
Old March 4, 2017, 07:19 PM   #57
ThomasT

dgludwig that was my whole point in post #39 when I mused on the possibility of S&W seeing the market potential and making a lightweight 38 with a frame that would take a 6 shot cylinder but be slightly smaller than the K-frame guns.

It was stated it would be too expensive to design a whole new gun. S&W has over the last couple of decades designed several new autos. So I don't think a slightly enlarged J-frame would be too expensive, not if the market is there and it seems to be the market would support just such a gun.

Do I think it will happen? Nope. I think S&W has all on their plate they can handle now making small 5 shot guns.

It was mentioned that the trigger geometry was all wrong on the S&W guns and the trigger pull was too heavy. I don't have a problem with the 6 J-frames I own. But a slightly larger frame may allow the use of a flat main spring as opposed to a coil spring. That one change would provide a much better trigger pull.

I guess I can just dream on. I am happy with the 5 and 6 shot J-frames I own now. I did own a Colt detective special for a short time. I got it in a trade. I didn't like the way the trigger felt. It felt like a toy gun trigger. I dumped it pretty fast. I made a good profit on it too.
Old March 4, 2017, 07:31 PM   #58
snubbyfan

$800 for the Cobra...no thanks.
I paid less than half the price for a lighter, just as concealable Smith 638
Old March 4, 2017, 07:40 PM   #59
kyguy1

I like that Colt's getting back in the revolver game, but the price for that Cobra is ridiculously high. For that price, it should at least have a nice classic looking wood grip (with the option of adding hogue of course). I don't see it resembling the classic Colts that I've seen in gun shops and pawn shops. I'd say it'd be worth less than half of that, based on the pictures.
Old March 4, 2017, 11:01 PM   #60
OldMarksman
Staff

I no longer have the J-frame, but I would readily pay twice as much for something with six shots and with a five pound lighter trigger pull.

That said, it would still serve as back-up.
Old March 5, 2017, 02:44 AM   #61
KyJim

Yeah, the lightweight J-frames are tough to shoot accurately. The weight and terrible trigger make it tough. Will I buy a new Cobra? Maybe. I need to check one out personally. In the meantime, when I carry a revolver, it's my Colt Agent which has a trigger much better than any J-frame I've shot. I shoot soft loads with it at the range but put +P Gold Dots in it for carry. That's not ideal which is why I would consider the new Cobra.

As to why the name "Cobra" instead of "Detective Special" --- marketing. A Cobra sounds "sexier" than a Detective Special.
Old March 5, 2017, 04:35 AM   #62
FrankenMauser

I don't think I could do it, even if the price was half of MSRP.

Basic business approach:
1. Design new revolver.
2. Have custom shop fine-tune new revolver.
3. Manufacture and ship thousands of new revolver.
4. Fire all people involved in development, fine-tuning, and manufacture of new revolver.
5. Try to profit, short-term, for stupid business decision.
6. Give investors an obfuscated picture of the situation, run away with pockets full of cash, and hope no one catches on while the company burns.........
Old March 5, 2017, 10:18 AM   #63
RUT

>>I'm glad to see Colt getting back into the revolver market<<

For Colt it's "too little too late."
Old March 5, 2017, 12:36 PM   #64
dgludwig

Quote:
As to why the name "Cobra" instead of "Detective Special" --- marketing. A Cobra sounds "sexier" than a Detective Special.
That may well be true (people love their reptiles) but for those of us who knew them when they were new, the steel-framed snub-nosed revolver from Colt was a Detective Special and the alloy-framed ones were Cobras (or Agents).
Old March 5, 2017, 04:41 PM   #65
snubbyfan

KyJim "Yeah, the lightweight J-frames are tough to shoot accurately"

Depends on the distance. After a couple of hundred rounds thru the gun I found I can, up to 10 yards, hit an 8" by 10" target consistently. That's what the gun was designed for...close encounters.
Take a look at what a pro (Hickok45) can do.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgl8VuX0LuY
Old March 5, 2017, 05:10 PM   #66
OldMarksman
Staff

Quote:
After a couple of hundred rounds thru the gun I found I can, up to 10 yards, hit an 8" by 10" target consistently. That's what the gun was designed for...close encounters.
How fast are you shooting?

And by the way, ten yards would not really define a "close encounter". Think ten feet, or thereabouts.

And think running attacker. It is difficult to put multiple rounds into the upper chest consistently when the attacker is moving at fifteen feet per second.
Old March 5, 2017, 06:58 PM   #67
Model12Win

Quote:
$800 for the Cobra...no thanks.
I paid less than half the price for a lighter, just as concealable Smith 638
I understand some don't want (or can't) play to play, but in no way shape or form is a S&W 638 comparable to this new pony gun. The S&W guns are quality, but that does not a snake make. This new Cobra has a far better trigger pull and with the additional round on board, it's a no brainer. Add in the vastly improved factory sights and the choice becomes even more clear for the serious wheelgunner. And as far as resale and collector's value goes, the rampant pony will always be worth more. Just my $0.02.
Old March 5, 2017, 09:28 PM   #68
snubbyfan

@Oldmarksman
At 10 yards I'm not firing fast...at 10 ft. I am.
Old March 5, 2017, 09:32 PM   #69
snubbyfan

@Model12 Win
I understand & appreciate what you said ...I just don't believe the Colt is worth 2x the price, or to put it another way, it's not twice as good imo...
particularly since it has an exposed hammer & is 10 ounces heavier,
which is a drawback for me in cc..

Last edited by snubbyfan; March 5, 2017 at 09:39 PM.
Old March 5, 2017, 10:30 PM   #70
Radny97

It will be a crying shame if this newly designed gun never really makes it to market because Colt can't get its act together. I dry fired the gun at SHOT show and the trigger was amazing. The benefit of the v-spring design was obvious. If colt can't bring that design to market I hope the design doesn't languish in some patent office. This design deserves to be on the market.
Old March 6, 2017, 09:28 AM   #71
dgludwig

Quote:
Good point, snubbyfan.
Old March 6, 2017, 09:55 AM   #72
Lohman446

Quote:
I understand some don't want (or can't) play to play, but in no way shape or form is a S&W 638 comparable to this new pony gun. The S&W guns are quality, but that does not a snake make. This new Cobra has a far better trigger pull and with the additional round on board, it's a no brainer. Add in the vastly improved factory sights and the choice becomes even more clear for the serious wheelgunner. And as far as resale and collector's value goes, the rampant pony will always be worth more. Just my $0.02.
Do you have any range time on an over the counter specimen? I'm not thinking like some SHOT show demo that has probably been carefully selected by Colt as a prime example. A real, the same gun any of us would walk in and buy, specimen to base that comparison on?
Old March 6, 2017, 10:07 AM   #73
OldMarksman
Staff

Quote:
Standards vary.

How fast?

How long does it take you to put four rounds into the target at ten feet?
Old April 3, 2017, 02:28 PM   #74
rock185

I wish Colt every success with their new revolver. If they're hoping to put a dent in today's CCW market though, perhaps a lightweight frame would have been the way to go. It may be that my concern as to weight will change if I'm ever able to actually handle one of these revolvers, but I kinda doubt it. I went from a S&W 640 to the lighter 642 Airweight myself just to save a few ounces. With so many very light semi-autos and revolvers now commonly available, I'd hesitate to to assess Colt's likelihood of success in this market. I would think a substantial number might sell, regardless any positive or negative attributes of the revolver itself, because it is, labeled at least, ~COLT~. But for the vast majority of the CCW market that are not particularly Snake this or that fans, I don't know that a relatively heavy and expensive CCW revolver would be a big hit. I guess I've never been obsessed over 6-shots vs. 5-shots in a CCW type revolver or I'd have already been carrying a Colt. Just as I am not obsessed with having an 8-round or 10-round magazine in my 45 ACP 1911 types. The 7 rounders always had the, very desirable IMHO, characteristic of always working
Old April 3, 2017, 02:44 PM   #75
dgludwig

Quote:
I guess I've never been obsessed over 6-shots vs. 5-shots in a CCW type revolver or I'd have already been carrying a Colt.
I now carry either a Colt Cobra or a Smith Model 12. I plan on getting a Ruger LCR chambered in .327 Federal Magnum. I'm "obsessed".