The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 29, 2022, 11:23 AM   #1
BornFighting88

Hungarian FN High Powers

Hello all.

Was at the LGS/parts shop and after I picked out what I wanted, I thought I would burn some time and look at stuff I couldn’t afford, the Lugers, etc.

I came across a dozen or so FN High Power pistols, but the tags specifically all said, and the roll marks all corroborated that they were made in Hungary. “FN/Hungarian Hi Power”.

The pistols looked in good enough shape, the shop was short-staffed today so I didn’t bug anyone to fondle them or look at them much more up close and personal. The 10 pieces in the one case all had asking prices of $400, which FWIW I completely realize that I will be getting what I pay for if I get one and it is a box of crap.

There were two that were in better shape, looking almost unissued, asking $475.

My question to the membership, does anyone here have any leads on the quality level of Hungarian High Powers? Also, are these asking prices in the ball park of realistic?? Should I go pick one up before they are gone?? They are legit priced to sell. Or would I be getting myself into a world of trouble?

Thanks all!!
Old April 29, 2022, 12:55 PM   #2
Bill DeShivs

I didn't know that FN had an agreement to produce the HP in Hungary, but FEG in Hungary made Hi-Powers that were almost indistinguishable from the FN models. They were extremely nice pistols.
I would be all over them for $400.
Old April 29, 2022, 01:09 PM   #3
BornFighting88

I have been reading things that parrot your lines Bill. Ever since I posted the original topic. Reading a plenty. I wanted to see what the fine folks here could share with me, too.
Old April 29, 2022, 04:51 PM   #4
dogtown tom

FN never licensed Hungary to make a copy of the Hi Power.
FEG, a Hungarian manufacturer DID manufacture a very good copy of the FN Hi Power.

FEG also made counterfeit FN Hi Powers. The serial#'s used are the givaway.

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE
Old April 29, 2022, 06:25 PM   #5
jetinteriorguy

My FEG Hipower is very good. Shoots good, reliable, and just balances nicely in the hand. Even though it’s a steel pistol it doesn’t feel heavy in my hands. I’d say if it had a weak point would be the sights, they’re not horrible but could be better. I got mine about six years ago for $250.00 and the bluing is about 85-90% with no messy import marks. I’d say get the nicer one for $475.00 and you won’t regret it.
Old April 29, 2022, 06:47 PM   #6
Jim Watson

I once saw a FEG built Hi Power with very sincere Mauser banner trademark.
Old style sights and safety discouraged me from buying it.
Old April 29, 2022, 07:28 PM   #7
BornFighting88

Thanks everyone!!! Very helpful. Might have to just yank some cash from the gun fund and go nab one of those $475 monsters.
Old April 30, 2022, 12:48 PM   #8
44 AMP
Staff

Friend of mine had one in the 80s. FEG made in Hungary. Only way you could tell it wasn't an FN were the markings and the price. It was a $180 gun brand new when a "real" Hi Power was $350+ USED....

A couple years after he got it, the recoil spring guide broke. I ordered the Hi Power part from Numrich, it dropped right in and worked fine.

At today's prices, less than $500 for a decent Hi Power clone (and there are some that aren't "decent" doesn't seem like too much.
Old April 30, 2022, 07:30 PM   #9
BornFighting88

Just a thought, FWIW, with the plethora of other companies now making them (supposedly Springfield is no longer taking orders, nor fulfilling them anymore for their SA-35), I guess these old relics just haven’t garnered the attention the new ones have/do.

Hopefully none of you guys and gals live close enough and know what shop I am talking about and bought them all up. Hahah
Old April 30, 2022, 09:27 PM   #10
L-2

Post 9,
Unless it's just a timing issue between reality and Springfield Armory's website, the SA35 is still shown, which leads me to believe the SA35 is still a current product. Availability, production, and supply could be another issue or cause for the lack of availability, however.
https://www.springfield-armory.com/s...a-35-handguns/
Old April 30, 2022, 10:42 PM   #11
Geezerbiker

I had one way back when. I also had an Argentine FM. I decided I liked the FM better and sold the FEG. Big mistake. The FM I had was one of the late ones with poorly heat treated slides...

If I had kept the FEG instead, I'd likely still have it. It was a good shooter...

Tony
Old May 1, 2022, 08:11 AM   #12
BornFighting88

Quote:
Originally Posted by L-2 View Post
Post 9,
Unless it's just a timing issue between reality and Springfield Armory's website, the SA35 is still shown, which leads me to believe the SA35 is still a current product. Availability, production, and supply could be another issue or cause for the lack of availability, however.
https://www.springfield-armory.com/s...a-35-handguns/
My old neighbor back home and I still talk often. He had placed an order for one from SA, and after many months of waiting, he tells me he contacted SA directly, to be told that they are not taking new orders, and having trouble fulfilling the ones they have in. He cancelled his and placed an order for a new one from FN.

This could all be misunderstood by him, sometimes he only hears what he wants to hear. So there’s that, too. Hahah

Thanks for the tip, Post 10