The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old December 15, 2020, 11:33 PM   #1
Moonglum

How Do You Evaluate What's Necessary For EDC

There's currently a discussion on another forum that I participate at in which the OP is considering carrying a full size handgun and two spare magazines (for a total of 3) in the backpack that he carries daily to work. He currently carries a J frame in his pocket, no reloads were mentioned.

His rationale is to have the gun available should he want to concealed carry outside of work or to have the gun available should things go crazy at work.

Except for the fact that there is no way that I would leave a handgun unsecured in a back pack at work, none of this really sounds unreasonable to me.

However, as the discussion has progressed a couple of people have responded that they're carrying AR pistols and in one case a CZ Scorpion to work in their daypacks everyday. To me that just seems like overkill. It also seems to me that you're more likely to get caught with that at work and be terminated immediately than you are to need it at work or on the way home.

So my question is how do you make the determination (I'm sorry I can't think of another way to phrase this) that a rifle is what you need to EDC?

To put it a different way how do you determine what weaponry is necessary for your daily life?

I realize that this could be a really broad topic but since the discussion that prompted me to think about this was focused strictly on the gun that's kind of what I'm limiting myself to in this discussion.

I work alone, I'm literally the only person in the building right now. The odds of me being a victim of workplace violence are almost non-existent. I'm literally more likely to be attacked by raccoon (guess how I know).

I live four miles from where I work. If the balloon went up I could walk home in an hour. I'm looking at Cheyenne Mountain as I type this so if the balloon REALLY went up I'd see the beginnings of a bright white flash and that's the last thing I'd ever see anyway.

If the Rapture happens you guys are welcome to loot the building, loot my car, take my gun, whatever I won't need it anymore.

I said all that to say that I judge myself to be adequately armed right now with a Glock 19 two reloads and a can of Sabre Red. At most I've considered throwing a couple extra magazines in my backpack but I haven't got around to it yet.

What criteria do you use to decide what kind of gun you're going to carry on a daily basis? What eventualities are you preparing for?
Old December 15, 2020, 11:58 PM   #2
Prof Young

Clearly it's all circumstantial!

I don't everyday carry. I live in a rural very, very, very low crime town.

If I'm going out of town, I carry. Why? well there is the travel, and more than once I've "ran into" a crazy on the road. And generally when I travel to another nearby town I'm headed from a low crime area to a higher crime area.

My carry gun is a 380 or 9mm. The 380's are single stack six so I usually carry a spare mag for those. The 9mm is a double stack ten, so I don't bring along a spare mag. I figure if I can't get the job done in 10 or 12 shots then I'm in a real gun battle and am an idiot for not running away.

When I head out to the woods or the shooting range I'm usually carrying. I figure you never know when you'll meet that rabid raccoon so woods carry makes sense. And the range? Well I'm going to a gun place so I'll take some guns.

My HD gun is a Public Defender. It's only five shots, and they are all the specialized 410 ammo starting with disks and BB, them moving to 00 buck shot and finishing with a slug. I live in a rural town right across the street from the policer station so I'm not going to have to deal with a home invasion. Five shots will be enough.

So there is what I do and my rationale.

Life is good.
Prof Young
Old December 16, 2020, 01:04 AM   #3
TunnelRat

How Do You Evaluate What's Necessary For EDC

Similar to yourself I am not a fan of a firearm that is not under my control. In my area we have had a few cases in recent years where vehicles were broken into and firearms were stolen. This has soured me on the idea of having a rifle in a car (though I’d still consider it in certain circumstances). As for an AR pistol or larger pistol such as a CZ Scorpion (braced or otherwise) in a backpack at work, for me no. While I get that a theft in an office location might be less typical than say a car (depending on your work, of course), I still don’t like a firearm not being secured on my person or at home. I will caution anyone that if you are an employee at will you can be terminated for many reasons, and violating a company’s weapon policy might certainly fall under that. At the end of the day we all have to evaluate the risks and rewards of our actions and the conclusions differ by person.

Do you mind if I ask which Sabre Red dispenser you’re using? There are a number of them and I’m always curious which of them others have and how they like them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old December 16, 2020, 01:19 AM   #4
Moonglum

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunnelRat View Post
Do you mind if I ask which Sabre Red dispenser you’re using? There are a number of them and I’m always curious which of them others have and how they like them.

It's whatever my employer issued me. It's hanging on my Bat Belt in my den, I'll look the next time I go in there. It's really not a question of my likes or dislikes, that's what they gave me that's what I carry. I pay almost zero attention to it.

When I'm not at work I carry a little can of POM on a pocket clip. I like that because it's as hot as anything available and much more unobtrusive.
Old December 16, 2020, 06:40 AM   #5
Skippy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonglum View Post

When I'm not at work I carry a little can of POM on a pocket clip. I like that because it's as hot as anything available and much more unobtrusive.
POM?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Old December 16, 2020, 07:28 AM   #6
TunnelRat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippy View Post
POM?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

IIRC they are another manufacturer of OC spray.

Old December 16, 2020, 09:04 AM   #7
Carl the Floor Walker

Typically carry

Beretta Pico
Minimalist wallet
Pocket Knife.
House key, car key, cell phone.
Old December 16, 2020, 10:23 AM   #8
cslinger

Many years ago I was on a forum, I don’t remember which may not have been a gun forum, anyway a dude posted his “EDC” and the first reply was classic.

I don’t remember the specifics but generally it was something like.
GLOCK 17 4 extra mags
GLOCK 26 on ankle 2 extra mags
Handcuffs
Zip ties
Two large folding knives
Multi tool
Defensive spray
Large tactical flashlight
Smaller flashlight
Etc. Etc.

It just went on and on. So dude finishes his post with “The way I see it I am prepared for ANYTHING.”

The very first reply....... “Oh yeah, what if you’ve gotta swim?”

Cracks me up to this day.
Old December 16, 2020, 10:31 AM   #9
GE-Minigun

So the question I have for people that carry in a backpack as the OP…in this case the OP mentioned carrying G19…do you carry with one in the chamber or do you figure you’ll have “enough” time to retrieve the gun? I’m not questioning how you carry, I’ve been thinking about starting to carry a backpack as well along with some other stuff and figure might as well toss in a gun.
Old December 16, 2020, 10:58 AM   #10
Nathan

Some guys have all the answers....some guys have none.

I like to have 2-3 trusted rigs...

My off body bag with the basics bigger knife and bigger light. It has a lot of firepower, but I’m not a fan of off body carry.

My shoulder rig with a light s&w shield and 2 mags. I usually carry a SAK utility knife and small light with it. Good stuff.

My pocket holster.....and offside Ghost light. Super small, light and answers most needs.

and sometimes I just carry a blade and light.....it’s ok. I havn’t had incoming rounds yet in my life, so my safety assessments must be keeping me alive better than my shooting.
Old December 16, 2020, 12:39 PM   #11
Moonglum

Quote:
Originally Posted by GE-Minigun View Post
So the question I have for people that carry in a backpack as the OP…in this case the OP mentioned carrying G19…do you carry with one in the chamber or do you figure you’ll have “enough” time to retrieve the gun? I’m not questioning how you carry, I’ve been thinking about starting to carry a backpack as well along with some other stuff and figure might as well toss in a gun.
I think you might want to go back and read the OP. I never said anything about carrying my gun in a back pack at work. I carry in a holster, on my belt, with a round in the chamber.
Old December 16, 2020, 12:48 PM   #12
GE-Minigun

...my bad. I read the second to last sentence wrong.
Old December 16, 2020, 12:56 PM   #13
GarandTd

My situation and carry habits seem quite similar to what Prof Young described.
Old December 16, 2020, 01:06 PM   #14
Moonglum

Quote:
Originally Posted by GE-Minigun View Post
...my bad. I read the second to last sentence wrong.
I do carry a back pack to work but it stays in the car but it's mostly full of winter clothing (it's been known to snow in June here) and sundries like an extra phone charger or pens in case mine disappears. I was thinking of throwing two extra magazines in it for a total of four but I never did.
Old December 16, 2020, 01:27 PM   #15
T. O'Heir

The OP needs to understand that he is not going into combat. Assuming his work place allows carrying in the first place. He sounds decidedly paranoid or really scared of everything.
"...If the balloon went up..." A great deal would depend on what that balloon was. And where you are at the time. If it's one of those bright, flashy, loud, Russian or Chinese ones, you'd be right in saying you wouldn't be there.
Old December 16, 2020, 01:46 PM   #16
Brit

After looking at the need for a defensive handgun, for years, as in where handguns have been deployed, in defensive applications.
My conclusion in carrying of one it needs to be large enough to have enough rounds, more than ten in the mag. Accurate enough in your hands, to hit the torso up to 50 yards. Static headshots at 7 yards.

Reliable. My pick Glock 19 with night sights. Gen 4. Spare G17 spare mag. TruGlo steel night sights.
Benchmade folder. Surefire light, in a belt holster. Apple Cell phone, in cell phone flap pocket. In the house, track pants, Phone and pistol.

As an old guy, carrying every day here in Florida, no problem.
Old December 16, 2020, 01:47 PM   #17
Moonglum

I don't know this but I assume the guys who were talking about carrying AR pistols or even the guy that wanted to carry a handgun in their back packs work in a cube farm. If that's true they really don't have a way to secure their bags so their options are to leave the bag unsecured in their cube or carry it with them everywhere. Sooner or later option one is going to get forgotten or option two is going to get noticed.

Last edited by Moonglum; December 16, 2020 at 10:49 PM.
Old December 16, 2020, 01:55 PM   #18
Moonglum

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. O'Heir View Post
The OP needs to understand that he is not going into combat. Assuming his work place allows carrying in the first place. He sounds decidedly paranoid or really scared of everything.
"...If the balloon went up..." A great deal would depend on what that balloon was. And where you are at the time. If it's one of those bright, flashy, loud, Russian or Chinese ones, you'd be right in saying you wouldn't be there.
Some people read to understand, some people read to respond and prove they're the smartest person in the room.

What I'm hearing you say is you didn't actually read what I wrote at all.

I work alone. There's no one else at my workplace but me. I am literally more likely to be attacked by a wild animal than another human being.

I'm not carrying a rifle to work the posters I referenced were talking about it. I carry a handgun and two reloads (and a broomstick for the raccoons) which is what I carry daily(minus the broomstick) anyway
Old December 16, 2020, 06:27 PM   #19
Kevin Rohrer

To put it a different way how do you determine what weaponry is necessary for your daily life?

Mine is based on training and prior usage.

Caveat Emptor: Cavery Grips/AmericanGripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He is a scammer
Old December 16, 2020, 09:29 PM   #20
FireForged

I think that it is important to have a good understanding of statistical norms. Although a fight may not always fall within those norms, there is a exceedingly high probability that it will. That said, I want to make sure that what I carry at least answers the statistical norm. I dont really subscribe to the 3-3-3 I am more of a 5 shots within 5 seconds within 21 feet kind of guy.

The least I will carry is a 5 shot j frame and 1 reload. The most that I carry is a 13 round BHP and 1 reload. No matter what I carry as a primary, I carry a NAA 22 mag revolver as a back up.

I think that people worry to much about what gun and ammo they carry. Sure you need to carry something that is reasonably up to the task but whether or not you win a fight in not likely to hinge on 9mm vs 40 vs 45 vs 38 or 5-6-7-10 or 15 shots. What its likely to hinge on is how early you detect the danger, your knowledge of fighting , your physical and mental capacity to fight and whether or not your very first active decision is the correct one.

If you carry something at least 380 and up and are actually good with it, who gives a flying flip what it is. I dont think it much matters because the main problem can often be that the majority of people rarely want to prepare for the fight, they just want to carry a gun that others will be impressed with or accepting of.
Old December 16, 2020, 11:28 PM   #21
Moonglum

I've had a couple of DGUs but I've never had to shoot anyone or even at anyone. I base my choice of weapons on training, observation and what recognized SMEs and reputable trainers have advised.

I got several opportunities to attend various defensive pistol classes over a four year period. I had a chance to try several of my guns and weed out the ones that don't work for me. I got to try my other equipment in "field" conditions and refine what I carry and where and how I carry it.

This doesn't really apply to my gun but I've also had opportunities just in my daily life and work life to note what I actually used or didn't use what I got caught short on because I didn't have it.

I've had a chance to observe the local cops (mostly to see what kind of cold weather gear they use) and watch what they do and how they do it. I carry two flashlights because every cop I interact with has a little one in his/her shirt pocket or hanging of their body armor and a big one on their belt. I've also noticed I've never seen a cop in a big, heavy, bulky, would really be a pain in the ass if you had to fight someone while wearing it winter coat unless they're at a traffic accident or some other static scene. It's been my observation that the local cops, the county sheriff and the state patrol all carry two reloads. I've also read blog posts by SMEs such as Masaad Ayoob that say " If the cops carry two reloads it only makes sense that you should carry two reloads.

I've also learned the hard way. After YEARS of saying "It'll never happen to me" I left my gun in a bathroom. Thank God I was alone but I've never had my gun off my person outside of my home since. Which takes me back to what I said earlier, there is no way I'd deliberately leave a gun unsecured at at work. It's also been my experience that even if you're not paying attention your coworkers are paying attention to you. If I were to walk around treating my back pack like my baby it would be noticed and it would be questioned. God forbid someone should find an AR pistol and several magazines in there I'd be the one treated like an active shooter.

I'm getting ready for work I'll add more later
Old December 17, 2020, 12:27 AM   #22
JohnKSa
Staff

Think about scenarios that make sense for your area and situation.

Think about what scenarios that you can reasonably prepare for.

Think about which of those scenarios you, personally, are able to prepare for in terms of physical capability, spending ability, training, aptitude, etc. Some of those factors you can change, some of those aren't so fluid.

Once you have a set of scenarios that you can actually work with, then you look at what people with experience/knowledge and training recommend for those scenarios. Then you look at what makes sense for you and that's your answer.

And finally, this is the most important step, and the one that people seem to have the most trouble with: Realize the limitations of your preparation rather than pretending that you've covered all the bases and now have the perfect approach for anything that comes your way.
Old December 17, 2020, 03:33 AM   #23
MikeG

Also follow the local news to see what crimes occur and how often. I have the distinct impression that Colorado Springs, like almost everywhere, is getting crazier.
Old December 17, 2020, 12:30 PM   #24
Shadow9mm

depends on what you feel you need. Depends on you assessment of risk. If you are talking a work place, it depends on what the job is. Location and job are big indicators. are you in a high crime area has your job been robbed before? has it been robed frequently? do you work in a bank, check cashing location, gas station, pawn shop gun shop, or in a big company office that does not see traffic from the public.

Unsecured and or unsupervised weapon, NEVER. you could secure it, quick access trigger lock and a cable to your desk. Locker would be nice, or in your vehicle. otherwise that backpack has to go everywhere you do, and to me, that would be out of place and a dead giveaway.

Personally, If i feel I need a rifle or PCC type system, I'm avoiding that area or scenario if at all possible, even if it means looking for a new job.
Old December 17, 2020, 01:31 PM   #25
Moonglum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow9mm View Post
Unsecured and or unsupervised weapon, NEVER. you could secure it, quick access trigger lock and a cable to your desk. Locker would be nice, or in your vehicle. otherwise that backpack has to go everywhere you do, and to me, that would be out of place and a dead giveaway.
I can't imagine doing all that in a cube farm without everyone around you noticing what you're doing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow9mm View Post
Personally, If i feel I need a rifle or PCC type system, I'm avoiding that area or scenario if at all possible, even if it means looking for a new job.
Ya think?