The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 26, 2013, 08:21 PM   #1
Merad

Bullet lube question...

I've been ordering supplies for the last few weeks and next week am planning to start my adventure in reloading for .38 Spl next week.

I have a box of Hornady bullets and a box of Speer, both lead SWC. It's my understanding that both are coated with some kind of dry lube. Based on some online reading it seem like most people think the Hornady's are lubed very well but there were some reports of leading problems with the Speer's. Would it be a good idea to go ahead and re-lube the bullets before loading them, or should I just go ahead and try them and see what happens?
Old June 26, 2013, 10:03 PM   #2
ronz

I would try them first

but it wouldn't hurt relubing with LLA or 45/45/10 sometimes can get a bullet to stop leading
Old June 27, 2013, 04:06 AM   #3
Mike / Tx

GO ahead and give them a try first, just bear in mind these are swedged and not cast. They are very close, to if not, pure lead so don't get carried away with pushing them too hard.

If you DO get leading as mentioned dose them up with some LLA and see if they do better. Just remember a little goes a long way.