The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 19, 2013, 07:16 AM   #26
Pilot

CZ's don't have "goopy paint" anymore. Even my 1996 made Turkish contract overrun 75B has a very nice polymer finish. It is somewhat similar looking to Beretta's Bruniton, but not as glossy, IMHO.

You're good to go with a "regular" finished CZ. They are very aesthetically pleasing, and the finish hold up well to holster use.
Old April 19, 2013, 07:23 PM   #27
Rottiegarf

CZ 75b

I pick the good old fashion cz 75b. I think it is still one of the best 9mm out there!
Old April 20, 2013, 01:22 PM   #28
dgludwig

Thanks, JayPee, for providing your excellent review of the 85/85B iterations of the CZ pistol.
Old April 20, 2013, 07:22 PM   #29
TxFlyFish

O wow I didn't even realize that's his article! Again helped me out a bunch navigating thru the CZ timeline...very useful!
Old April 21, 2013, 10:49 AM   #30
Willie D

If I bought another fullsize CZ it would probably be the Phantom just because I could do with something a hair lighter.

I do wish CZ would do a "Retro" in stainless. Something like this:

Old April 21, 2013, 02:28 PM   #31
Walt Sherrill

That's a true pre-B with original grips (which are rare and expensive.)

If you ever have to remove the safety, be sure to stick a pin or toothpick in the small hole on the safety, to engage and hold the safety spring. If it gets out, it's hard to get back in, and it's almost impossible to replace, if it gets lost.

Nice gun.

Is that just the white metal, or has it been plated? I'm assuming it's been refinished, becuase all of the controls seem to match.
Old April 22, 2013, 03:34 PM   #32
tekarra

The is a fine looking 75 Willie D. What type of finish does it have? I have a LNIB 75 and think it looks a lot nicer than the 75B. As you, I would like to have a 75 in stainless steel but it will never happen.
Old April 22, 2013, 03:55 PM   #33
Willie D

^I found that pic on another forum. Apparently it's a refinish by Robarms. I just love the lines of those old pre-Bs although I'd be fine with the mag compatibility of the 'Retro' models.

Walt: I've been tempted to get reproduction waffle grips for my CZ but it wouldn't look right without the spur hammer and rounded trigger guard IMO.

http://vintagegungrips.net/ao-c62a.html
Old April 22, 2013, 04:00 PM   #34
Walt Sherrill

You can open up the top of the mag channel in the grip of a pre-B pretty easily with a flat file, and then the mag compatibility issue goes away. I've talked with several who have done it, but haven't had a pre-B, myself, since I learned of the trick. I don't know if the instructions are on this forum, but you CAN find them elsewhere. They are probably on the CZ Forum.

I had the Waffle Grips on a couple of pre-Bs, but never found them all that desirable. I sold them, in both cases, to someone who wanted to make their CZs more "authentic."

There are too many variations in parts, etc. in the pre-Bs, over time, and I no longer have any. Except for the very late pre-Bs, there are too many minor differences between the pre-Bs and B for my taste -- things like different hammer widths, firing in sizes, barrel contours, firing pin variations, etc. Parts for the safeties on the oldest models are getting hard to find. I just stick to current CZs and have some trigger work done.

As noted, a "Retro" with an "action" job would be the best of both worlds.

Last edited by Walt Sherrill; April 22, 2013 at 04:06 PM.
Old April 22, 2013, 04:09 PM   #35
John Fritz

75BD police.

All done.
Old April 22, 2013, 11:18 PM   #36
magnumPi

just make sure when you get one, to get some of those half checkered cocobolo CZ grips to put on her. I picked up a used one recently that was less than a year old, and the previous owner had slapped a set on them on, and boy is she purty
Old April 23, 2013, 04:11 PM   #37
JayPee

TxFlyFish - dgludwig; Glad to help, guys. Glad you got some good from the article. CZ gives you one heckuva good gun for the money. My old '85 is now up to around 2,500 rounds without a failure.

JayPee
Old April 23, 2013, 04:55 PM   #38
*NOVA*

Another vote for CZ75 BD Police. I love mine, one of my favorites. Its got the factory rubber grips.
Old April 23, 2013, 05:39 PM   #39
Venom1956

Just the standard CZ 75B is great. I wouldn't get any other for my first one. There will be more to come.
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug
Old April 23, 2013, 09:10 PM   #40
TxFlyFish

can one flip the safety without cocking the hammer? ie safety + DA
Old April 23, 2013, 09:26 PM   #41
dakota.potts

Looking at this myself. Considering a BD, BD Police, or SP-01 Tactical. The Police looks to be the cheapest which is curious since I'm pretty sure it has more features than the standard BD. I'm looking for one which can take the extended 19+1 magazines and the Kadet conversion kit. Any advice?
Old April 24, 2013, 03:57 AM   #42
CurlyQ.Howard

If you get the 19+1 model, it will also take this: http://shop.cz-usa.com/P-11109/Mag-C...er-26-Rds.aspx
Old April 24, 2013, 04:37 AM   #43
Pilot

Quote:
can one flip the safety without cocking the hammer? ie safety + DA
No. The 75B with the manual safety is carried at half cock (or hammer fully down). The DA pull is there, like a revolver or other many other semi-autos, with no safety. It can also be carried cocked and locked, so the hammer must be in SA mode to engage the safety. The 75BD model has a decocker and NO safety.
Old April 24, 2013, 06:22 AM   #44
Walt Sherrill

Quote:
Looking at this myself. Considering a BD, BD Police, or SP-01 Tactical. The Police looks to be the cheapest which is curious since I'm pretty sure it has more features than the standard BD. I'm looking for one which can take the extended 19+1 magazines and the Kadet conversion kit. Any advice?
Don't know about pricing -- which has always been "interesting" when CZ does it.

All of the 75B-based models (and the 85 Combat) can use the same full-size magazines, as well as the Kadet Kit.

It's only when you get to the newer models, like the P-07 or P-09, which have different slides and frames, where compatibility may be a problem. You can even use the higher-capacity mags in the "compact" CZs that are based on the 75B design, as well, along with the Kadet Kit. (There are other variants, like the 40B and RAMI, and different issues, there -- I'm not familiar with the RAMI.)

Talking with the CZ-USA or the CZ-Custom Shop, should get you good answers to these questions.
Old April 25, 2013, 12:00 PM   #45
Venom1956

I am assuming you know none of those pistols you listed BD, BD Police, or SP-01 Tactical have a safety only decockers. I've seen several order a SP-01 Tactical assuming it meant something other then just Decocker vs safety and then wanting a manual safety.

I'll agree with those above in saying the Stainless CZ75 with the beavertail is the standard of comfort and ergonomics all pistols should be judged by. Even the SP-01 Shadow felt inferior.
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug
Old April 25, 2013, 04:58 PM   #46
dakota.potts

Yes, I am in want of one that has only the decocker. What is the difference between the standard BD and the Police? I know they have a loaded chamber indicator and some extra beveling but I would think this would make them more expensive, not cheaper. If there is no other difference I would like to save money by getting the police but I don't want to get it and find it inferior to the standard BD because I was not knowledgeable about it
Old April 25, 2013, 07:17 PM   #47
John Fritz

BD / police differences

Hey dp, I'll field that one. I owned a Police and loved its subtle differences over a BD. In no particular order:

1) "Police" roll mark
2) Reversible mag release button
3) Loaded chamber indicator that really works
4) Front and rear strap checkering
5) No front serrations on the slide
6) Lanyard ring
7) Serrated trigger
8) Extra coolness because of it being a discontinued BD Police

Get thee a Police. Then a matte stainless 75B.
Old April 26, 2013, 05:36 PM   #48
model18

Hard to beat the 75B!!!

Great shooter and ergonomics. Eats everything and goes bang every time!!
Old April 29, 2013, 09:13 AM   #49
sirgilligan

I vote for a high polished blue with the CZ wood stocks/grips.
Old April 29, 2013, 03:34 PM   #50

From your list it would be the 75 B in stainless for me. If you consider an 85 B, take Walt's advice and look into the 85 Combat. You'll get the best out of the box trigger and it has an over-travel stop. They also come with adjustable sights.