The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 29, 2008, 05:06 AM   #1
crawdad185

Remington 870 models

Hi folks. I am looking at purchasing a shotgun off of one of the internet auction sites and am a little confused about the Remington models. I am looking at a model 870 Express, but I'm not sure if it is a magnum model. Are all of the Remington Express models magnums or is there a different Express Magnum model? Thanks for clearing this up for me.
Old October 29, 2008, 05:32 AM   #2
jmr40

All 870 Express shotguns will shoot both 2 3/4" shells as well as 3" magnums. They make, or at least used to make an Express Supermagnum that shoots 2 3/4", 3" as well as the 3 1/2" shells.
Old October 29, 2008, 10:19 AM   #3
Scattergun Bob

Hi crawdad185

I think that correctly ALL 870 Express receivers are 3" compatible, however a 2 3/4" barrel could be placed on this receiver! BigJim's advice is good here, IT IS THE INTERNET and you get what you get!

Good Luck & Be Safe
Old October 29, 2008, 10:35 AM   #4
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

I know in my circle of shootin' folks we do not consider nor address a 3 inch shell as a magnum. we will say there are 2 3/4, 3 inch and 3 1/2inch magnums.
So if this is what you mean in the original post Than I think you have to know what remington calls the 3 1/2 inch capable gun model. I know with Mossberg the 500 series is NOT a magnum capable. You actually buy a different model... The 535 and 835 Ulti-mag are both 3 1/2 capable pump guns.
Brent
Old October 29, 2008, 10:59 AM   #5
BigJimP

Since Scattergun Bob jumped in and defended me ... he's the 870 expert ... and on the 3" vs 3 1/2" chamber issues, I believe he's right as well.

For an entry level shotgun like an 870, or most any gun for that matter, you'll be way ahead to go to a local retailer - so you can look and touch all the different models. If you want to buy a used gun - there are lots of good guns out there - gun shows, shops that deal in used guns, etc. - and I can't tell you the last time I went to a gun show and didn't see at least a dozen good clean used 870's for sale ( they're everywhere ). Personally, I get a kick out of stopping by the shops that deal in a lot of used guns ....there are some great buys out there ....and sometimes the hunt is more fun than owning the gun. Everybody has budgets - but even saving $ 50 on a gun / over 10 years is only $ 5 a year ...and not all of the internet sites put your money in escrow .....and if you buy it and don't actually get the gun.....or it is not in the condition advertised, you are sometimes on your own. I have bought 3 shotguns off the internet over the last 5 years - 2 were because the model and gague I wanted was not available from dealers in Washington or Oregon for over 18 months / but in both cases, I used a licensed dealer in the midwest - called him on the phone, asked for updated photos, serial numbers, etc and they turned out great. The 3rd gun was a special engraved Browning BT-100 ( only 200 of them made by browning, wtih that engraving ) - and a guy I did not know, but we had bs'd over the internet a couple times - had purchased it in an estate sale. Again, 3 or 4 conversations on the phone, lots of photos ...and I was very pleased with the purchase. But the minute I sent that cashiers check off in the mail for about $5,000 - I knew there was a risk that I was being taken ..... and I was lucky it turned out great. Unfortunately, not all stories work out that way.

It's my opinion, balistically, a 3" chambered shotgun will do most anything a
3 1/2" chambered shotgun will do ( but it won't shoot 3 1/2" shells ) - and even for waterfowl, I think a 3" chambered gun is just fine. A gun chambered to fit 2 3/4" or 3" shells is often a little cheaper than a gun chambered in 3 1/2".
Old October 29, 2008, 11:18 AM   #6
Scattergun Bob

BigJim

No defense necessary for GOOD ADVICE Jim, hope you don't mind me quoting you.

My best to you, Bob
Old October 29, 2008, 12:19 PM   #7
BigJimP

No problem.
Old October 29, 2008, 07:30 PM   #8
crawdad185

Thanks for the good advice folks. When I said Magnum I was actually meaning a 3" chamber. I've noticed that some of the Remingtons will have just Express on the side and some will have Express Magnum. I just wasn't sure if the models that just said Express would have the 3" chamber. Again, thanks for your help.
Old October 30, 2008, 08:50 PM   #9
rem870hunter

if its a 12 gauge model there would be an M at the end of the serial number,as well it would have stamped on the side of the receiver REMINGTON 870 EXPRESS MAGNUM. the remington home website has a question and answer area. i believe someone asked the question awhile back and it was answered on there. it should still be available. they did make a 2 and 3/4" chambered wingmaster and an express model 12 ga. you can put a 3" magnum barrel on a 2 and 3/4" receiver. i would'nt suggest shooting 3" shells with it though.
Old November 1, 2008, 03:56 PM   #10
crawdad185

This gun says just "Remington 870 Express" on the side, doesn't say anything about magnum. However, the serial number ends in "M".
Old November 1, 2008, 04:40 PM   #11
Scattergun Bob

crawdad185

Thats OK, it is a 3" receiver. Like a child you love who does stupid things, Remington is not maintaining "Standards" in marking there guns. You should see the mental exercises you go thru to get the year of manufacture for wingmasters produced in the past 20 years

Good Luck & Be Safe