The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old July 28, 2019, 03:57 PM   #1
Gulfcowboy

Rock island armory M200.

I've been throwing the idea lately of buying a Rock Island Armory M200. Anybody have any experiences with these? Is the $200 price tag too good to be true? this would not be a self-defense pistol I have many others to fill that role. This would be a plinking / Jon Boat pistol. Thanks for any input given
Old July 28, 2019, 04:40 PM   #3
Cheapshooter

Haven't even shot it yet, but I have one of the 206 snubbie versions.
Great first impression though. The trigger is surprisingly smooth and crisp. The build quality seems very good. Lacking only in a not so necessary, but expensive beautifully buffed, and polished fit and finish.
It is what it is, and your example the best I have heard. A jon boat of a gun. Gets the job done without any unnessary for the task fanciness.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old July 29, 2019, 04:05 AM   #4
TruthTellers

Not a fan of the M200 not because I find it a bad revolver, there's just better 4 inch revolvers out there that you can get in .357 Magnum instead, specifically Charter Arms. Yes, you'll pay $50 more for them at the least, but we're talking a better made revolver that weighs less, shoots a much more powerful round, and has better sights. The only thing it lacks is the 6th shot and I don't see that as good enough reason to buy the M200 over a Charter.

As for the snub M206, it is a good snubbie. Heavy for carrying and it's clunky when reloading, but the trigger is very good. I had been down on it recently, but after shooting it a week or two ago, I can't say that anymore. It's a lot better than I gave it credit for and now I can't say a 5 shot Charter Arms you could get used for about the same price is a better revolver. It's a lighter revolver better for carrying and that's all.

If all this will be is a boat gun or plinking gun, the M206 will do that just as well as the M200.
Old July 29, 2019, 08:23 AM   #5
osbornk

I have a RIA 1911 I like and considered this gun when I was shopping for a 38 Special. Rural King had both the RIA and Taurus 856 in stock. Side by side, the Taurus was a little nicer looking but was slightly more expensive. I bought the Taurus because I have had good experiences with a prior Taurus revolver and I have been happy with it. I would not hesitate to buy either one. I also considered a Charter Arms that are matte stainless (they all are at Charter Arms) but they were about $50 more than the Taurus (but maybe worth it as I have a Charter Arms in another caliber I like)
Old July 29, 2019, 10:39 AM   #6
Cheapshooter

From the OP
Quote:
this would not be a self-defense pistol I have many others to fill that role. This would be a plinking / Jon Boat pistol. Thanks for any input given
Quote:
Not a fan of the M200 not because I find it a bad revolver, there's just better 4 inch revolvers out there that you can get in .357 Magnum instead
Not much reason to spend more money for that power which will never be used as per the original post.
Old July 29, 2019, 11:27 AM   #7
Aguila Blanca
Staff

My M206 had a better trigger out of the box than either of two Tauruses (Tauri?) that had both had trigger jobs done on them. My FFL said the M206 trigger compared favorably with his tuned S&W.
Old July 30, 2019, 12:26 PM   #8
Cheapshooter

Having just the 206, and never trying the 200, is there any noticable difference in the triggers?
Old August 1, 2019, 11:07 PM   #9
CommandoX

Well....I own one.

I bought one because I wanted a "different" 38 Special at a budget price. The one I bought ended up having to be returned to Armscor in Nevada. It had no crown, an improperly cut barrel at the muzzle (at an angle) and the cylinder stuck on one hole. Ya, sounds bad I know. It shot great accuracy wise but I got tired of having a 5 shot pistol. I bought this gun from one of the ROs at my range. HE bought it many years ago for a gift that never got given.

I sent it back to the manufacturer and they ended up destroying it because it was so far out of spec. They sent me a brand new, fully functioning, properly manufactured pistol. It shoots great and works 100%. I have over 400 rounds through it now and take it to the range at least every other time I go. It's a great range gun and would be fine as a truck gun. As long as you remember you're not buying a Smith, you're good to go.
Old August 8, 2019, 07:49 PM   #10
Gulfcowboy

Thanks for all the good information fellas. I was hesitant to take the leap to purchase one of these firearms. I went ahead and purchased a leather holster for a colt police postive Which should fit it. Seems like I'll be picking one one these up in the future. Seems like ria stands by their product. You cant beat a lifetime warranty.