The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old August 4, 2005, 02:41 AM   #1
106RR

Couple's Class at ITTS

My wife and I attended a two day Couple's Class at ITTS in LA. It was one of the most useful classes I have ever taken. The Eagle's Nest which is ITTS home range is one of the best equipped that I have seen.
After the first day of live fire we went to a sterile environment for airsoft. We were able to use the shoot house for hot prowl incident training. Old cop cars were available for the carjack scenarios and proved invaluable. Each couple was presented with different scenarios in carjacking, home intrusion, first aid, etc. There was no advance warning of the content of the scenario. When the situation presented itself, the couple had to solve it. We all had a chance to shoot Uncle Scotty with an CO2 powered airsoft. Only one couple took advantage in a carjack and shot him repeatedly in the butt with two guns.
ITTS also provided an EMT for medical training on gunshot and knife wounds, an Arson Investigator for the Fire and Earthquake training. We had realistic up to date scenarios for the EMT training and learned to use and make the right bandages. Quick Clot and other products were also covered. Home intrusions were realistic with both knife and gun being used by the bad guy (Uncle Scotty) Good judgement and good training were taught by very experienced people. Some situations required no shooting at all. My wife and I got out of a carjack without a fight.
I highly recommend the Couples Class at ITTS. As you might have guessed the class was the brainchild of Brett McQueen and carried out by a talented experienced team of Scot Reitz and Brett McQueen. I think the price was a bargain at $550 a couple.
Old August 4, 2005, 10:17 AM   #2
psssniper

Sounds like a neat time, where is this place at?
Is "LA" Los Angeles, CA or Lousianna?
Old August 5, 2005, 09:33 AM   #3
106RR

It's in the hills north east of Los Angeles in a suburb called Lake View Terrace. Get directions to the Angeles Shooting Range and continue up the hill to Eagles Nest. ITTS is a well known training school.
It's run by a guy named Scot Reitz. He is a trainer for LAPD and a member of LAPD Metro. He worked on the Hillside Strangler case and the Night Stalker case among many others. His partner and the brains of the outfit is Brett McQueen. The Couple's class was her brainchild. The class is taught by Scotty and Brett but Scotty is the Principal Instructor. They are renowned for running a safe operation at Eagles Nest.
Old August 5, 2005, 12:22 PM   #4
Cazach

How is Uncle Scotty? I took a class with him earlier this year and he was still slightly paralyzed in his right hand from his back surgery. He was using his middle finger on the trigger and still making 100+ yard shots with other people's pistols.

Great guy and great instruction.

My wife and I will definately be at the next couple's class.
Old August 11, 2005, 04:08 PM   #5
106RR

He still shoots with his middle finger but his back is better. Fortunately his middle finger was not disabled because you need it to drive in LA! He seems not to have any apparent disablity other than middle finger trigger work. He will be teaching a class in Stanislaus County, California sometime in the fall.
Old August 11, 2005, 04:17 PM   #6
migrantmigraine

I read an old late 1800s novel reccomending point shooting and the middle finger as trigger finger. The regular trigger finger/pointer lays on the side of the gun, pointing to your target. Anybody ever try middle-finger shooting?
Old August 20, 2005, 02:00 AM   #7
106RR

Even Scott Reitz does not recommend the use of the middle fonger for the trigger. He uses it as a temporary aid during post surgical recovery. He is not handicapped and gets around the range with agility. His teaching is not limited by his temporary use of the middle finger. Besides, in CA you can't drive without the use of your middle finger. It is called the traffic finger out here.