The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 2, 2011, 06:50 PM   #1
MDS

picking a load

I always look at three or four loads before I pick on to try. (1st load) Is there any reason to not just pick a published load and go for it?
Old January 2, 2011, 06:55 PM   #2
noylj

I check a couple sources just so my starting load is the lowest of the two or three I find. I have had a couple of cases where the starting load for one source was at max pressure in my gun.
I also tend to stay away from powders that have spikey pressure at max or have real sensitivity of temperature.
Powders I am hesitant to use for a wide range of calibers are N310, TiteGroup, and Clays.
Old January 2, 2011, 07:34 PM   #3
PawPaw

Some loads work fine across a variety of rifles, but each rifle will show you which load it likes best.

For example, in .308 Winchester, I've used a load of 43.0 grains of Reloder 15 and a 168 grain Sierra Matchking. Some rifles like this load just fine, some rifles really like it, every .308 I've tried it in seems to do okay with this load. It duplicates the Federal GMM load.

Almost every .38 special likes a wadcutter load of 2.7 grains of Bullseye under a 148 grain wadcutter. It's a standard load that's been around for a long time.

Sometimes using a standard load works just fine. But you won't know what your firearm likes until you try several loads.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old January 2, 2011, 10:12 PM   #4
MDS

I guess that would be the best reason.