The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old March 16, 2001, 11:34 PM   #1
dick w. holliday

going to our club monthly match in the morning-we try to do things that make them fun and different each month. last month we had a dynamite throw to get some claimjumpers out of our mine. the dynamite was actually broomstick painted red with some cannon fuse hanging out of a hole drilled in the end. the stage started with the shooter lighting the fuse and trying to throw it into the mineshaft (Foottub). extra points if dynamite lands in tub.

this month we're having a cowpie throwing contest. cowpie is made of spray foam insulation and painted a nice shade of brown. if you saw it you would not want to step in it.

any other suggestions for something fun??? thanks "Dick W. Holliday"
Old March 17, 2001, 08:25 AM   #2
griz

We had one stage where you moved from one side of the horse to the other before using the next gun. Cow pies were scattered along the short path around the back of the horse (55 gal drum with saddle and scabbard). If you stepped on a pie, which was actually a clay bird target, you lost 5 seconds. I've wandered through enough pastures to not lose any time on that stage, at least from the cow pies, missing is another thing entirely.
Old March 17, 2001, 02:30 PM   #3
dick w. holliday

just got back from match and cowpies went over great-we made the cowboys attempt to throw 4 pies in a rope circle prior to shooting pistol. Sort of windy and styropfoam pies acted kinda like frzbys, but did have one cowboy get two in for bonus points. i think he might have been some sort of ringer that grew up on a farm as opposed to the other dime store cowboys in attendance.

we did use some skeet targets that were launched by something akin to a pepper popper with a seesaw on the back to throw them in the air. i sort of ruled that event since i am a AAA class skeet shooter in 12 ga.,but what to hell everybody had fun.

Keep posting those good ideas for events....Thanks ...Dick
Old March 18, 2001, 12:57 AM   #4
Mike Irwin
Staff

How about the "Chug-a-lug Shootoff?"

Shooter starts sitting at the bar with his back to the "targets."

In front of him is a full "beer" (iced tea, water, whatever, but no alcohol, of course).

At the start, the shooter has to chug the "brew" stronghand, and then spin on the barstool and engage the targets with his weak hand while still holding the beer mug. Then he has to spin back and order another beer.

Points are deducted for spilling the beer.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old March 19, 2001, 05:33 PM   #5
Jeff, CA

Riding a stick horse, throwing a lariat over a steer's head.

Throwing a bundle of "dynamite" sticks at a "campfire" silhouette.

The group at my local range has about 60' of narrow-gauge rail and a "mine car". Try hitting the bison silhouette at 325 yards while riding in the car as it's bumping down the track - not easy. "Mine car" doubles as a railroad car and stagecoach for those "holdup" scenarios.

Same group has a "mine entrance" up on the hill above one of the bays, with a welding gas bottle hanging in it. This is invariably used for long-range precision pistol shooting. No points lost for missing, since it's a good 50 yards, but a healthy bonus for connecting.

Old March 20, 2001, 03:43 PM   #6
DCR

Something about making a shooter wear a bonnet really throws them off. It's rattled some fine shooters to they point they are in the middle of the pack for that stage.
Old March 21, 2001, 08:04 AM   #7
Ned Roundtree

We cut garden hose into 18" strips. You had to blast "snakes" so many feet to get credit as a hit with your shotgun.
Old March 24, 2001, 09:33 PM   #8
dick w. holliday

well i think the april match may have our cowboys wearing bonnets and shooting snakes..Dick