The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 16, 2017, 09:00 AM   #1
ammo.crafter

FTE Hi-power 9mm

Recently my Hi-Power has failed to extract fired rounds and the hammer is in the half cock position after firing the a round.

Apparently, the slide is not traveling completely rearward as noted by failure of the hammer to be in its proper position subsequent to firing a round.

If anyone out there has any alternate thoughts, let’s hear ‘em.
Old September 16, 2017, 09:04 AM   #2
Hun Shooter

Is this an older surplus Hi Power? I would start with the extractor and recoil springs, Wolff has a spring pack for Hi Powers for cheap.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Browning-193...0AAMXQxKxR9Xrb
Old September 16, 2017, 09:19 AM   #3
ammo.crafter

HP

Thanks.

This is a 1980'ish Belgium made/Portuguese built two-tone HP purchased new.

Extraction and feeding work perfectly by hand manipulating the slide.

I have never had the hammer fail to fully cock before.

I’ll be getting a spring kit from Wolff ASAP.
Old September 16, 2017, 10:09 AM   #4
Bartholomew Roberts

Is the empty casing still underneath the extractor claw when this happens?
Old September 16, 2017, 12:38 PM   #5
T. O'Heir

Change ammo before you do anything else. Except a really good bath. Then think recoil spring directly from Wolff. 9mm has a 17 Lb. factory recoil spring. E-Bay is evil.
https://www.gunsprings.com/
Old September 16, 2017, 07:58 PM   #6
James K
Member In Memoriam

Spring failure always involves a spring becoming weaker, not stronger. I don't see how a weak spring would cause an auto pistol slide to not come back all the way. More likely it would cause the slide to not return to battery, but that is apparently not what is happening. I think the OP needs to look elsewhere for the problem.

Jim
Old September 16, 2017, 09:42 PM   #7
WVsig

Take the extractor out and clean it as wells as the extractor channel. On the BHP it has a tendency to get dirty and bind. Also check the face of the extractor.

Most of the time if you have a weak recoil spring the gun does not return to battery and will eject caves further than normal.

Depending on round count of the gun and if it has had any "tweaking" the hammer follow could be the mainspring but I would clean and inspect the extractor first.
Old September 16, 2017, 11:06 PM   #8
ammo.crafter

Thanks everyone.
Old September 17, 2017, 09:00 AM   #9
ammo.crafter

more HP

Going over my HP issue I recall that all cases did eject and next round from magazine did feed.

But the hammer returned to 1/2 cock when the slide returned to battery.

Tried several magazines and brands and weights of ammo.

Same issue.
Old September 17, 2017, 11:25 AM   #10
jonnyc

Check your sear spring and sear engagement. The spring might be out of its spot or need replacement.
Old September 17, 2017, 12:09 PM   #11
WVsig

Do the click test to check your seat to hammer engagement. Has the pistol been modified in anyway? Trigger job? Has anyone lightened the hammer spring?

Something is causing the sear to let go of the hammer.
Old September 18, 2017, 07:34 PM   #12
ammo.crafter

...and more

The slide does not retract fully retract to the rear and apparently this is why the hammer fails to cock fully.

When manually retracting the slide, the slide hold open safety is unable to engage the slide.
Old September 20, 2017, 09:58 AM   #13
Ibmikey

If you are unable to manually retract the slide fully you have an entirely different situation than originally described. First check the spring guide to see that it is assembled correctly (not up side down) then check the recoil spring for crimps or other reasons to bind the slide. Will the slide move far enough to remove it from the frame?
Old September 20, 2017, 08:30 PM   #14
larryh1108

I think mikey is on to something. It is easy to put the guide rod in upside down after reassembling the gun. Simple mistake, simple cure.
Old September 20, 2017, 08:33 PM   #15
WVsig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibmikey View Post
If you are unable to manually retract the slide fully you have an entirely different situation than originally described. First check the spring guide to see that it is assembled correctly (not up side down) then check the recoil spring for crimps or other reasons to bind the slide. Will the slide move far enough to remove it from the frame?
If that is what has happened here the OP needs to carefully inspect the guide rod for damage. If it is deformed at all he needs to replace it. No shame here. He would not be the first one to make this mistake.
Old September 21, 2017, 01:41 PM   #16
jonnyc

Sounds like he has too much motion for an upside-down slide stop.
Old September 26, 2017, 01:42 AM   #17
Ibmikey

Ammo crafter, Did you ever get the blasted thing apart? Running correctly? Share the findings.