The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old August 24, 2017, 10:59 AM   #1
Doc Holliday 1950

Ammo Advice

I'd like advice about SD Ammo for my Glock 19 gen 4 and for my Glock 43.
At this time I use Federal 124gr. HST and Speer Gold Dot 124 gr. For practice
I only shoot 124 gr. plinking ammo.

As always, all responses are appreciated and welcomed.

Doc
Old August 24, 2017, 12:22 PM   #2
P5 Guy

Doc, I'm of the opinion that any of the current crop of "premium" 124 grain hollow points will do the job when we do our job. Putting hits in the places that stop attacks.
Old August 24, 2017, 12:22 PM   #3
Sweet Shooter

I have really gotten to like the Sig Elite Performance V-Crown. I carry it in a P-01 and so have run it in that pistol for practice/to see where it hits. I printed a 4 inch, 10-shot group on my steel gong at 40 yards with it. and it shoots one ragged hole at 10 yards. It is very punchy. It does have a fair amount of fireball from the compact.
-SS-
Old August 24, 2017, 12:40 PM   #4
45Gunner

As a former government agent, I was issued Speer Gold Dot ammo. (.40)

For my own personal carry, I trust and rely on Speer Gold Dot. Never had a defective round.
NRA Life Member
Old August 24, 2017, 12:48 PM   #5
T. O'Heir

You should practice with the ammo you intend carrying. Not one load for practice and one for fun. Otherwise, use the ammo you and your pistols shoot best. Isn't likely both pistols will shoot the same ammo the same way, but you might get lucky.
Old August 24, 2017, 01:15 PM   #6
Spats McGee
Staff

FWIW, I carry Remington Golden Sabers.
Old August 24, 2017, 01:25 PM   #7
Eazyeach

Don't overthink this one. The federal 124 hst you are already using is good to go.
Old August 24, 2017, 03:10 PM   #8
TailGator

Those are both good-performing rounds. The vagaries of the wound track might well render them equal. Availability is a key for me. I want to be able to buy the same thing after I shoot out a carry load and not spend the money proving a new round.
Old August 24, 2017, 03:20 PM   #9
JoeSixpack

Im going with EZ on this one.. HST is GTG.
That's what I carry.
Old August 24, 2017, 03:25 PM   #10
FITASC

My Glocks and HK seem to like 124s the best. I buy Speer lawman 124 fmj flat point for practice and use one the previously mentioned premium ones for carry. I found Target Sports USA to have a great price on the Speer delivered when bought by the case.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old August 24, 2017, 03:34 PM   #11
BigJimP

When I carry any of my 9mm's -- ( Sig 239's, Sig 226, 1911 in 5"...) ..I carry them with Remington Golden Saber 124gr ..and I have a supply of both 124gr and 147gr....they both perform very well / but I usually have the 124gr in the gun. But both work 100% in all of my 9mm's.

What I practice with ( 8 - 10 boxes a week ) for my Tactical Drills ( Draw and Fire, Speed Reloads, etc...are my own reloads ...with 115gr FMJ ). You should run enough of the carry ammo you choose thru your gun of choice to make sure that it runs 100% ...and a couple of boxes should be enough. If I didn't reload....I would probably practice with something like the Federal White Box or Magtech in 115 gr...as an economical alternative.

I do not think you have to practice extensively with your carry ammo of choice...its too expensive ....and its not necessary. What is necessary -- is that you practice !!
Old August 24, 2017, 07:46 PM   #12
stephen426

I have 124 grain HydraShoks +P+ in my Kahr PM9. I had Gold Dots in my XDs .45, but I got rid of that gun. I think most modern ammo designs will do their job if we do ours. I would avoid the crazy exotic stuff that make incredible claims though.
Old August 24, 2017, 11:02 PM   #13
bamaranger

practice ammo v. fun ammo

Given the price of quality SD ammo we're discussing here, if you practice with what you carry, if your like many of us, you won't get much practice unless you: -are issued the stuff and are not buying it on your own
-have some extree angle on factory ammo prices
-break the college fund or re-finance the farm

At close to $20.00 for a box of 25 (that's a G17 magazine and a half) your practice sessions will be expensive. So will any matches in which you might compete (50-100 rds). It is common and accepted practice to practice/train with more affordable FMJ ammo, and reserve the good stuff for SD/duty/qualification, provided your pistol is reliable with both types and the point of aim/point of impact is acceptable. Certainly one must be familiar with their carry load, and for an agency, there are certain legal aspects of qualifying and documenting a duty round and qualifying with same. But to state that "one load" is the way, is just hogwash.

I'll will add that the point of impact between a quality SD load, and FMJ training ammo, provided bullet weights and velocities are similar, is, in my experience, inconsequential at handgun distances and when fired unsupported in typical combat/SD fashion. You might find a difference in 5 rd groups at 25 yds from a mechanical rest, but not shooting 2 rds in 3 sec from the 7 yd line. Far too many rounds downrange to think otherwise.
Old August 24, 2017, 11:12 PM   #14
Jim Watson

Been carrying the same old Federal 9BP for years. I have accumulated enough experience to trust it for reliability and accuracy. Doesn't mushroom as much as the Bullet of the Month but I trust it to Just Work.
Old August 24, 2017, 11:15 PM   #15
JC57

HST is my choice for carry/home defense. 124+P for 9mm. 180 for .40 S&W.
Old August 24, 2017, 11:43 PM   #16
mete

Federal 9BP .Jim are you assuming that that or any other bullet is the same over the years ? I assume that there is always change as more is learned about ammo. I also like tests to be made on live targets. Feral dogs ,chucks ,etc . Chucks especially make good targets as they are tough creatures.
Old August 24, 2017, 11:47 PM   #17
hubris

For what ever reason Gold Dots have become rare around here. Now using either Hornady 135gr or the Sig HPs. My 9's seem to like both and I get good results at the range. Have not had good experience with Federal in 124 or 147.
Old August 25, 2017, 11:52 AM   #18
Doc Holliday 1950

I try to use Lawman 124 gr TMJ for practice. They seem to feel about the same as when I use the Federal or Gold Dots. I always make sure that I use at least one mag of the SD ammo when at the range so I don't want any surprises out in the real world.
The Lawman costs me $9.95/box of 50 & the Feds costs $20.95/box of 50 & Gold Dots costs $22.95/ box of 50. I only buy my ammo on line. I know, I should learn how to re-load.
My Glocks have taken every brand of American made ammo that I've used so far and from what I've read, the Gold Dots & the Feds seem to be the preferred ammo.
I would use Hornady( like I use in my 357's) but see no advantage to using them
in my Glocks. If I am wrong, please advise.

Doc

Last edited by Doc Holliday 1950; August 25, 2017 at 12:34 PM.
Old August 27, 2017, 03:22 PM   #19
rodfac

Doc,keep using that same ammo....that's good stUff and well documented in its effectiveness. Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old August 27, 2017, 11:28 PM   #20
Jim Watson

Quote:
are you assuming that that or any other bullet is the same over the years ?
I don't guess I should.
Hydra Shok .45 went through a reported five variations, three of which are apparent to the naked eye.
I shoot some 9BP every once in a while to get down to fresh ammo and to confirm reliable function. If they have changed it, it is not anywhere that affects function, which is about all I can test.
Old August 28, 2017, 01:03 AM   #21
mr bolo

GLOCK 19

does anybody use 115 gr JHP? like the SIG SAUER Elite Performance V CROWN JHP

I practice with standard 115 gr fmj thats why I chose 115 gr JHP for defense
Old August 28, 2017, 06:09 AM   #22
Spats McGee
Staff

I carry a G19, but I use 124 or 147 grain. I think it's 124, but I'd have to go look at the box to be sure. I practice with 124 grain.
Old August 30, 2017, 03:48 PM   #23
briandg

I use the Sig v crown. A bit less expensive. jello testing shows good performance.

Any difference between this and any other premium rounds will be too small to concern yourself with. Random hits, one to the next, would probably be more of a factor than bullet choice. An inch, a bit here or there, and either one will lessen the injury, a dead certain shot to the heart, they will almost certainly do equal damage.
Old August 30, 2017, 08:15 PM   #24
Deaf Smith

I used to search for the super top load for the 9mm. I used Winchester +p+ 125 gr JHPs, Cor-Bons, DPX, etc...

Now days I use Federal 124gr. HST 9mms and I don't loose any sleep over it. The Federals shoot to the same point of impact as Walmart Winchester 125 grs and just kick a tiny bit more. Quite accurate and in every test I've seen they do fine.

Thing is, on the internet I can order them are very good prices to.

Deaf
Old August 31, 2017, 03:15 AM   #25
JDBerg

I can vouch for Hornady American Gunner / Custom 124 grain, regular and / or +P in a Glock 19. Very reliable and super accurate and readily available when I want to get more.