The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 28, 2015, 09:36 AM   #1
David Ozlo

Who loads the 357 mag 180gr hard cast bullets.

I'm wondering who makes the best 180gr hard cast bullets for hunting, and reload data.
I'm amazed that lead bullets have been around the longest and have the least reloading data. Hornady, Speers, and Lee really don't give you much on the heavier hard cast bullets.
Old November 28, 2015, 09:51 AM   #2
stubbicatt

The data provided by the bullet manufacturers are naturally skewed to their offerings.

If you visit the powder manufacturers websites they will generally have data available for cast bullets, maybe not a lot, but some. Same too with Lyman's cast bullet handbooks.
Old November 28, 2015, 11:54 AM   #3
GilaDan

Stubbicatt, the 180 cast bullet is one of my favorites in 38spl/357. I have come to appreciate the 180 Missouri Bullet but assume there are other good ones out there. Since I cast, the 180 is one that I don't cast. Also prefer to load it in 38 spl. because I have more brass. The 180 over 8.0 grains of AA#7 is an exceptionally good load for me.

Load data is tricky. For the 'old' powders the older publications on load data are a great resource. Fortunately, my Dad who is 80 and still reloads saved all his books. Newer data on newer powders is hit and miss, depending on the powder. I don't load without data from somewhere and then I scrutinize it. But this and other forums are great to tap into the older data. Holler if you want me to share what I can find. I will quote the source for the data and you can decide.
Old December 1, 2015, 12:57 AM   #4
passtime

I have only used Cast performance 180gr. LWFNGC so I cannot give you a comparison. I load them over 2400 for 1133fps. and get good results. My start load was 11gr. I worked them up for deer hunting. I get good penetration and accuracy out of the load. I plan on trying the MBC 180gr bullets mentioned by GilaDan to see how they pan out. If you are interested here is a link to the cheapest I could find them.
Old December 1, 2015, 01:21 AM   #5
mxsailor803

Honestly, your best bet would be to look online at the powder manufactures data. I've had to do that for several of my reloads and works just fine.
Old December 1, 2015, 02:07 AM   #6
Dufus

Shooting a 180 gr hard cast bullet at the velocities that you will get from a handgun will shoot like a solid. Even at rifle velocities, expansion will not be there or will be minimal.

Plenty of penetration, but no expansion at all.

I cast mine soft and still do not get much expansion.
Old December 2, 2015, 07:25 PM   #7
rob-c

I load the rim rock 180 grain gas checks over 13.5 grains of 2400 shot high 12's low 1300's over my chrono from my black hawk. worked great on deer. for those who don't know the reason behind hard cast, they are made to not expand and penetrate like crazy, BUT the frontal area (meplat) of a hard cast bullet will cause a much larger hole then the meplat diameter because it tears the skin muscle etc. and causes a splash effect.go to bear tooth bullets they give a great explanation of meplat and bullet velocity and how it effects wound channel size. they have some cool calculators you can play with...by the way with a 357 and hard cast aim for the deer's shoulder it will break the deer down.
Old December 2, 2015, 08:42 PM   #8
Kosh75287

6.4/Unique/180L, 7.4/Herco/180L, 13.4/IMR-4227/180L. Treat all of these as maximum loads, until you find information that makes you question it. They should NOT be maximum loads, but all firearms have their individual differences.

Good luck and good hunting.

انجلو. المسلحة. جاهزة. Carpe SCOTCH!
Old December 2, 2015, 09:32 PM   #9
Kosh75287

6.4/Unique/180L, 7.4/Herco/180L, 13.4/IMR-4227/180L. Treat all of these as maximum loads, until you find information that makes you question it. They should NOT be maximum loads, but all firearms have their individual differences.

Good luck and good hunting.

انجلو. المسلحة. جاهزة. Carpe SCOTCH!