The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old September 5, 2013, 01:16 AM   #1
SpookBoy

ak opinion, serbian vs chinese

Im getting an ak that i want to last a lifetime & mu budget is around 700
Im down to Two one is http://www.armslist.com/posts/203265...a-serbian-ak47
The other is a polytech .marked 386 circled serial cw-1207X can anyone help me on pros and cons, which one is the better buy sinch there both about the same price?

"Once you familiarize yourself with the chains of bondage , You prepare your own limbs to wear them."
- Abraham Lincoln
Old September 5, 2013, 08:23 AM   #2
jehu

The Chinese AK's were among the finest AK's ever imported into this country. I have owned and still do own many Norinco & Polytech AK's and if you can get a Polytech for $700 you are getting a good deal even if it's a Mak90. Milled would be worth alittle more but stamped is OK.
Old September 5, 2013, 10:14 AM   #3
SpookBoy

Any advice on the egyptian?

"Once you familiarize yourself with the chains of bondage , You prepare your own limbs to wear them."
- Abraham Lincoln
Old September 5, 2013, 10:15 AM   #4
SpookBoy

Any advice on the egyptian? Or serbian

- Abraham Lincoln
Old September 5, 2013, 01:51 PM   #5
Southside830

Egyptian Maadi's are supposed to be made on Russian tooling. I've heard they are of good quality. If it were me I would look Russian or Bulgarian. Specifically Arsenal in the SLR, sgl lineup. These rifles are made of brand new Saiga Rifles or brand new Bulgarian parts kits. That being said a Polytech for 700$ is a good deal.
Old September 5, 2013, 02:05 PM   #6
Fishbed77

Quote:
Any advice on the egyptian? Or serbian
Need more info on what Egyptian rifle you're considering. Assume it's a Maadi, but quality depends on who built it. Also, that Armslist listing for the Serbian doesn't give much info at all. Is it a PAP conversion with a single-stack bolt? If so, you don't want it. Is it a well-built M70 or NPAP? I'm no expert, but I can't tell from the photo.

Keep in mind also that brand-new Serbian Zastava NPAPs and OPAPs (which have the heavier PRK-style receiver) are selling for $600-650. The new OPAPs in particular are building a very good reputation and are a great value for the money.
Old September 7, 2013, 08:49 AM   #7
SR420

Quote:
jehu The Chinese AK's were among the finest AK's ever imported into this country. I have owned and still do own many Norinco & Polytech AK's and if you can get a Polytech for $700 you are getting a good deal even if it's a Mak90. Milled would be worth alittle more but stamped is OK.
I agree, and $700 is a steal of a deal.
Old September 7, 2013, 08:53 AM   #8
TXAZ

+1 Chinese Polytech or Norinco

Cave illos in guns et backhoes