The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old January 15, 2013, 12:24 PM   #26
CTS

Quote:
I'd rather have a tube mag I can keep topped off rather than a detachable mag.
I agree. In the military we were taught to "combat load" the 870 where your non shooting hand was inserting more rounds into the mag while you still had your target covered.
Old January 15, 2013, 12:27 PM   #27
allaroundhunter

Quote:
Why 7? Seems like such an odd number.
Because that means that most semi-automatic rifles and pistols will be illegal....

10 round magazines for such firearms are fairly commonplace, NY wanted as many of these firearms as possible to be illegal.
Old January 15, 2013, 12:43 PM   #28
Auto426

I don't know what exactly is contained in New York's new statewide AWB, but I'm pretty sure the 7 round limit was chosen to screw with gun owners who's weapons were grandfathered in. Most manafucturers already have sku's for guns that ship with 10 round magazines, and mags limited to 10 rounds were fairly common. Now, only a handful of single stack magazines for guns like 1911's or PPK's will be legal.

I believe they included a "one military feature" test for new guns as well, banning pretty much everything but a handful of guns. Let's just hope this turns out to be another piece of legislation that the courts get rid of, like the D.C. handgun ban.
Old January 15, 2013, 01:10 PM   #29
allaroundhunter

Auto, grandfathered in magazines with a max capacity of 10 are okay, I believe, but they can only be loaded with 7 rounds?...
Old January 15, 2013, 01:27 PM   #30
lcpiper

+1 for the lever guns. Pick your caliber although in a handgun caliber I think I remember some handy little velcro pouches that would hold about a reload worth of cartridges that would ride easy on a belt, or just a good leather cartridge belt like mine. All you gotta do is keep it buckled and ready near the rifle. just throw it over the shoulder in a quick situation.

Oh, and if you take one of those cut down pistol versions spend the cash and apply for the SBR stamp and put a full length stock on it
Old January 15, 2013, 01:39 PM   #31
allaroundhunter

Quote:
Oh, and if you take one of those cut down pistol versions spend the cash and apply for the SBR stamp and put a full length stock on it
Magazine capacity is being cut down to 7 rounds....and somehow we are going to continue to get SBR approval?...
Old January 15, 2013, 01:50 PM   #32
lcpiper

Act fast while you still can

Hell, right now it's supposition and a scare at the Fed level, they might never get a thing passed in Congress. Lord knows they can't get a budget passed.
Old January 15, 2013, 02:00 PM   #33
Alabama Shooter

Quote:
Also if the magazine only holds seven, I'd rather have a tube mag I can keep topped off rather than a detachable mag.
I did not know they came in a seven round magazine.

I commend you for your choice of military style assault rifle.
Old January 15, 2013, 02:52 PM   #34
Bart Noir

Quote:
Mini-14. You can modify the 5 round mag to hold 6 rounds and with one in the pipe you have 7 rounds.
If the limit-we-all-live-in-fear-of is 7 rounds in the magazine, why would you pick any solution that only holds 6?

Much better to have 7 in the magazine and 1 in the chamber. Doing the math, I see 8 rounds here

Bart Noir
Who expects to modify M1 Garand clips for only 7 rounds...
Old January 15, 2013, 03:33 PM   #35
CTS

Quote:
I did not know they came in a seven round magazine.
Mag extension for Remington 870.
http://www.brownells.com/magazines/s...5.aspx?ttver=1
Old January 15, 2013, 03:47 PM   #36
Cheapshooter

Good ole, "thudy-thudy". Marlin, or Winchester lever gun.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old January 15, 2013, 03:56 PM   #37
lcpiper

Of course, if 7 round mags become the limit manufacturers will start making 7 round mags pdq.
Old January 15, 2013, 04:06 PM   #38
Dondor

It is the first step to get the vast majority of the semi auto weapons off the streets. Wait.. I said that wrong.. get them out of your house.

No magazine will be grandfathered. 1 year to sell it outside of state, after that it is a misdemeanor to own one. At least that is what I got out of the law about to pass.

Glad I live in the South.
Old January 15, 2013, 04:38 PM   #39
Alabama Shooter

Quote:
Mag extension for Remington 870.
He was talking about a .45-70 Rifle.

Quote:
No magazine will be grandfathered. 1 year to sell it outside of state, after that it is a misdemeanor to own one.
If it is over ten rounds. If it is ten or under you can keep it you just can't put more than seven "bullets" in to it. How they plan on enforcing that law is a mystery of modern science.
Old January 15, 2013, 04:57 PM   #40
Yankee Traveler

Code:
Why 7? Seems like such an odd number.
NY is proposing a ban on all magazines larger than 7 rounds. Furthermore the proposal that all magazines larger must be sold out of state within a year of enacting.
Old January 15, 2013, 05:05 PM   #41
ThomasT

Quote:
If the limit-we-all-live-in-fear-of is 7 rounds in the magazine, why would you pick any solution that only holds 6?
Bart in some places minis are sold with 5 round mags only. This lets you get one more round in the rifle without trying to block a 10 round mag.
Old January 15, 2013, 05:09 PM   #42
ThomasT

Quote:
@ratshooter- The OP did say "rifle or other long gun." While you are right, this is the Rifle forum, the OP did open it up to shotguns, albeit perhaps not intentionally. I will refrain from making a comment about criticizing people for reading the original post...

@OP- While I would normally reccomend a shotgun, to keep ratshooter from bad mouthing me , I would have to suggest my Mosin m44- 5 rounds of heavy ammo, and with the bayonet out, I might stab a threat before shooting him...
JimmyR you are correct that he stated "or other long gun" but this is the semi auto forum. The two other rifle forums would have had a little more leeway. But it really sounds like the OP wants a rifle with an odd sized mag.

But go ahead and suggest a shotgun. You are safe from ridicule.

By the way this was the title of his thread.

Quote:
Best Choice for HD Rifle With Only Seven Rounds
I guess thats why I thought we were talking about rifles only. So maybe I didn't misread the OP after all.

Last edited by ThomasT; January 15, 2013 at 09:38 PM.
Old January 15, 2013, 05:11 PM   #43
Skans

MechTech Carbine using a Glock 20 (10mm) as the base. Really, any carbine that is .45 or 10mm. In fact, the Kriss Carbine would be great for home defense. For the short distances encountered inside of a house, I really like certain handgun rounds over .223,, 7.62x39, 30 carbine, 308 or any other rifle cartridge. 45ACP defense
Old January 15, 2013, 05:41 PM   #44
Alabama Shooter

Quote:
The two other rifle forums would have had a little more leeway. But it really sounds like the OP wants a rifle with an odd sized mag.
In most home defense situations ideally the best HD rifles are AR-15s with a fully loaded magazine or an AK/ similar. You can argue the point forever if you want to but a reliable, light recoiling, semi-automatic rifle in cartridge that gives great terminal performance at close range is near impossible to beat.

Some situations do vary.
Old January 15, 2013, 07:28 PM   #45
CTS

Quote:
I am leaning towards shotgun or .45-70 lever gun. If you are limited to seven, they might as well be big and powerful. Also if the magazine only holds seven, I'd rather have a tube mag I can keep topped off rather than a detachable mag.
Not sure how you get that he was talking about a lever gun. Most lever guns load from the right side. Kind of hard to keep loading and firing with the same hand. Maybe I misunderstood but with a pump shotgun that loads from the bottom, you can keep loading rounds with your left hand while you still have your finger on the trigger covering your target with your right hand. Keep a round in your left hand and every time you eject an empty hull, stuff another round in the mag, reach in the ammo pouch for another, all the while covering your target. Not hard at all with a little practice.
Old January 15, 2013, 08:23 PM   #46
ThomasT

Slappy you can insert extra rounds on a lever action just like you can a shotgun. The lever has to be in the up or closed position. Fire three rounds and quickly slip in three more to replace them.

Quote:
In most home defense situations ideally the best HD rifles are AR-15s with a fully loaded magazine or an AK/ similar. You can argue the point forever if you want to but a reliable, light recoiling, semi-automatic rifle in cartridge that gives great terminal performance at close range is near impossible to beat.
There are other guns besides ARs that will shoot the same 223 round. Like a Mini-14, Kel-Tec Sun 2000 or whatever its called and IIRC Beretta makes a 223 carbine. I would rather use my Marlin 9mm carbine than my AR. Less muzzle blast and with the right bullets no over penetration.
Old January 15, 2013, 08:24 PM   #47
CTS

Quote:
Slappy you can insert extra rounds on a lever action just like you can a shotgun. The lever has to be in the up or closed position. Fire three rounds and quickly slip in three more to replace them.
I am well aware of that but, can you do it with the gun to your shoulder and finger on the trigger while still covering your target?
Old January 15, 2013, 08:36 PM   #48
ThomasT

With your finger on the trigger? Nope, no more than you can insert rounds in a shotgun with your finger on the trigger at the same time.

But you can have the rifle cocked and pointed at the threat will you slip the rounds in. And I don't know about you but if needed I can get my firing hand back in position shoot in a fraction of a second if I need to.
Old January 15, 2013, 08:39 PM   #49
CTS

Quote:
Nope, no more than you can insert rounds in a shotgun with your finger on the trigger at the same time.
I have to call BS on that one. I have done it many times, was trained to do it in military and law enforcement training. Why in the world would you no be able to?
Old January 15, 2013, 08:42 PM   #50
Alabama Shooter

Quote:
I am well aware of that but, can you do it with the gun to your shoulder and finger on the trigger while still covering your target?
Except for finger on the trigger I could do the rest with my friends Win 92 clone. I did not see that in his post anyway. I try not to read into things that are not there.

Quote:
Like a Mini-14, Kel-Tec Sun 2000 or whatever its called and IIRC Beretta makes a 223 carbine. I would rather use my Marlin 9mm carbine than my AR.
Those would all be good too, hence/ "similar". However good the Marlin is, it is still not superior to the others for a host of reasons. Regardless, your situation might lend itself to being a better fit for your particulars. You would be a much better judge of that than me.