The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old October 24, 2012, 07:36 PM   #1
mr.t7024

Another Marlin 60

Y'all know I am a Marlin Fan ,esp.the Model 60. I just picked up A Marlin 60,with the bolt hold open,and last shot bolt hold open.The barrel is 22 inches long and the Magazine tube is about 3 inches shorter. It has a stained Birch stock , with the Tested and Targeted sticker still on it it and another sticker regarding important info on the rear part of the stock.The rifle is in excellent shape and almost appears brand new. I paid 80.00 dollars for it, and I can't wait to shoot it. Just had to share. Cliff
mr.t7024 is online now Report Post Edit/Delete Message
Old October 24, 2012, 07:55 PM   #2
OEF-Vet

Congrats on a fine purchase. I too love ny Marlins.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2
Old October 25, 2012, 01:40 AM   #3
okiewita40

I would rather have a marlin 60 than a ruger 10/22. I grew up shooting my grandfathers old glenfield 60 he had bought at sears I think. To me a 10/22 is more of a toy and marlin 60 is a hunting rifle for small game.
Old October 25, 2012, 03:16 PM   #4
Bamashooter

Not knocking marlin's but okiewita40 thinks 10/22's are toys and not real hunting rifles. I have 2 10/22's and I promise you they arent toys and are capable if not moreso than any marlin when it comes to squirrell killing. Personally, I wouldnt own a marlin but I am not gonna knock what people like and buy. Cant say the same for most others in this place. There is alot of narrow minds and big mouths in these forums.
Old October 26, 2012, 11:19 AM   #5
loose_holster_dan

both guns are great. i don't get to shoot often, so when i do, i usually stick to my higher caliber rifles. this meant it only made sense to keep one 22 and i settled on the 10/22, but only because i have the red jacket bullpup stock on the way for it. stock guns without mag changes, i prefer the model 60 myself.
"A Sig is like a lightsaber - not as clumsy or random as a Glock."
Old October 26, 2012, 01:52 PM   #6
Bigfatts

Yup, the 60 is a good one. I don't own one myself but last season used my brother's to whallop 3 good sized shoats (piglets for you non-hoggers) for the table.
Old October 27, 2012, 04:53 AM   #7
okiewita40

Bamashooter I have owned both the marlin 60 and the ruger 10/22. I just prefer the marlin over the ruger. Different stroke for different folks is all.

What i do not understand is why some people will call a 10/22 a 10/22 after they have replaced everything on it i.e. barrel, trigger, stock and are only left with an action. To me that is a custom rifle based on an action not the rifle it-self. But it is their gun so they can do as they want to with it.

I know that I like the feel of a marlin 60 when i hold it to my shoulder and shoot vs. a ruger 10/22. Your mileage may vary though.
Old October 27, 2012, 04:43 PM   #8
Crazy88Fingers

I just picked up an old Glenfield 60 from the pawn shop. Haven't shot it yet, but it feels good on my shoulder. And once I wiped off some of the rust it's a pretty good lookin' gun too. Especially with the checkered stock.
Old October 27, 2012, 05:59 PM   #9
g.willikers

Model 60s are so good, that ya' only really need but one.
Old October 29, 2012, 03:36 PM   #10
defcon

i just bought 4 marlin 60's. cant wait to shoot them after their tacticool makeovers

Old November 9, 2012, 01:20 AM   #11
J_Beaux

Marlin Model 60 - Quality issues since Remington

I just bought a model 60 a month or so ago and was not thrilled with it. I had one as a kid and got this one since my little guys are almost shooting age. I have to say the quality was not what I expected from the most popular .22 ever.
In the interest of full disclosure, I did walk out of the store with a sealed box, not the display model I actually inspected. My mistake aside, I found out when I got home that the rear buckhorn sight flops almost 1/2 inch to either side. The action was also bone dry. This isn't what I bought a Marlin for. I have several of them and love them all (with the exception of this most recent purchase - I like it since I put a new set of tech sights on it, but it hasn't fully recovered from a bad first impression).
Like I said, I love my Marlins (I have a 1988 model 795 and a 1969 model 336T), but I will never buy another one made after Remington took over. Not what I expected from a Marlin.
Old November 9, 2012, 05:23 AM   #12
Metal god

I have an older 60 . 22" barrel and holds 17 rounds . It is old and acts like it . I think it's tired and needs all new springs . It sat in the closet of the guy I got from for years . It came to me I bad shape . I did clean it up put a new ATI stock on it and it works really good as long as I use mini mags or better . It will not shoot bulk ammo , feed jams almost every shot . I just think it's cus its old and tired . All in all it works good , exept for the fact that you pretty much need a come-a-long to pull the trigger . I would love to have shot this thing when it was new-ish . Maybe some day I'll fix it up to like new condition.

Quick funny story . I was at the range a little while back. There was a guy and his son there . They were a couple tables down from me and were shooting a newer 60 among other things . We all got to talking and they asked me what I was shooting . I should them the guns I had with me and I got to the marlin there eyes opened wide . They asked " thats the same gun as the one we have " I said yes and should them the new stock and how had a longer barrel and stuff .I also have a scope on mine and they were just using the iron sights . They went on to tell me how they were have problems with theres cycling all day . I gave them about 50 or so rounds of the mini mags to try . We all went back to shooting and when they were leaving I asked . How did those mini mags work ? They said the gun worked perfect while using them but still woud not work well with the bulk wal-mart stuff .

At the time I thought that made sense mine does the same thing . How ever everybody that talks about them here at TFL posts how great they are and they NEVER have any problems with them . So I guess I'll ask this now , how often do you have feed jams or any cycling issues with the model 60 ? Is there ammo that yours just hates ?

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .

Last edited by Metal god; November 9, 2012 at 11:35 PM.
Old November 9, 2012, 11:02 PM   #13
mdThanatos

I use Federal blue box and bulk Federal red box in my 30+ year old Model 60, all I have done is replace the plastic buffer in it (this year for the first time, inherited the rifle from my father who didn't shoot it for a good 15 years). Occasionally I get a jam but not very often.