The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old August 21, 2012, 06:14 PM   #1
MugenSi

Navy Arms Co mini pistol

Hi all, I was searching through some stuff which used to belong to my dad (RIP) and i came across a mini pistol (I vaguely remember seeing it years and years ago and my dad telling me that an uncle of his brought it home from the US some time in the 50's or 60's)

I know absolutely nothing about guns and i dont even know if its classed as a pistol so i'll descibe it for you and maybe someone could tell me some more about it.

Its tiny and fits in the palm of my hand, It has 4 barrells (two on top of two) and they are 0.22 as there was also a box of .22 rounds and they fit perfectly in it. The main body is brass and the handle part is wood (or wood effect) and ornate. On the side is stamped Abberti & C Gardone VT Italy. Further along the body is stamped PDF XXIV and the serial number on the end of the handle (butt?) is 12074. Navy Arms Co. Inc Italy is stamped along the centre of the top of the top two barrels.

The gun is in a small leather holster. The firing mechanism works perfectly and each time its cocked and triggered, the hammer revolves and a little protruding pin lines up with the next barrell.

I dont really know what to do with it. I live in Ireland and hand guns/pistols are illegal unless theyre for competition use and even then its hard to licence one. Some firearms can be retained as ornaments so long as the firing mechanism has been removed or made so it doesnt work.

I'll wait and see if i can find out some more about it before deciding what to do with it.

I took a photo of it but it doesnt show the whole thing as i was trying to photograph the markings/stamps but can get more pictures of it if it would help identifying or getting me some more info on it.

Old August 21, 2012, 06:59 PM   #2
RJay

Replica of a Sharps derringer. Made in Italy by Uberti { Italy }. They are neat little guns and fun to play with, most , if not all, were in .22 short. They have some value here in the states ( maybe a hundred dollars ) but in your location, well, don't know. They are not a antique or historical firearm and have no collectors value as a old west firearm. Perhaps a fishing trip is in order? It would be a shame to accidentally drop it overboard but if you have no other options. Added: Yes it is a firearm.

Last edited by RJay; August 21, 2012 at 09:02 PM.
Old August 22, 2012, 03:38 AM   #3
pitfighter

There is one for sale near me, here in CA, in it's original little box, too.
$175 - this one is .22 short and looks very similar to your photo section.

It is a firearm by every definition I know, and certainly by Irish legal ones.

They are neat, but it is no great loss to the gun collecting world if it get's lost.

Pit.