The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old February 16, 2009, 03:24 PM   #1
RGR3/75

M1A SOCOM II - scope ring mount query

as you can see i installed that little rail extender but the problem is it sits exactly 3/16" too low. i've been pondering the idea of putting 2 different sized scope rings on it (one taller than the other), but does anyone know if they make scope ring mounts with adjustable height?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001.jpg (140.8 KB, 337 views)
Old February 16, 2009, 03:43 PM   #2
zoomie

I think you're gonna run into more problems than it's worth trying to match two scope rings, and you might damage your scope in the process.

Either call SA and get the "extended" top rail, like what comes on their AA9629 model, or mount a "scout" optic with longer eye relief.

http://www.springfield-armory.com/armory.php?version=31

Old February 16, 2009, 03:59 PM   #3
RGR3/75

i just called SA and it's gonna cost me $540 to get the extended rail so they can suck it. know where i can find a cheaper version of this http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetac...tail.bok?no=40
Old February 16, 2009, 05:26 PM   #4
zoomie

I wonder how those mounts (i.e. adding to the rail height) will affect cheek weld. You might need very low rings to keep the scope axis low enough over the receiver.

ADM makes a marginally cheaper version of the LaRue mount, but I think the price difference is small enough to go with LaRue - their stuff is phenomenal.
http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/Ameri...on%20x%201.htm

Rock River has a couple cantilever mounts onto which you mount standard rings. They're meant to be mounted forward to extend the scope over the handguards, but I guess you could turn them around to shorten the eye relief.

http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.c...ategory_id=317
http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.c...ategory_id=385

With all that said, obviously you can afford nice stuff - you bought a SOCOM. Don't choose the mount based on price.
Old February 16, 2009, 09:58 PM   #5
Danny Reid

I know I am gonna get hit in the mouth for asking this, but...

Why mount a scope on that at all? That is a CQB rifle. A rifle with a barrel that short was not intended to be a long distance hitter. The 308 Win is certainly capable of long distance shots, but that version is designed for 50-100 yard shots where a scope clearly isn't needed.

I don't get it
Old February 17, 2009, 01:25 AM   #6
IZinterrogator

I took my SOCOM II out today and made a 220 yard hit with an Aimpoint mounted just forward of the receiver. It is more than capable of making a hit out to 300 yards. I zeroed it off of a bench at 300.

Unfortunately, because I was shooting off hand while standing, that hit I made hit the stand instead of the steel plate and shattered the joint I hit into 20 pieces. Killed my new steel target stand on the fourth shot.
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!” - Samuel Adams
Old February 17, 2009, 05:24 PM   #7
RGR3/75

that's why i'm not getting a LR rifle scope. but 16" is plenty especially with a 7.62 to hit out to 600yds. maybe 8 out of 10 but still...

http://www.opticsplanet.net/leupold-...fle-scope.html

http://www.opticsplanet.net/leupold-...iflescope.html

I love how they throw the word tactical on there and it automatically becomes like $200 more. regardless, i'm looking at a few others but those are my main choices. i finally found mounts that fit perfectly and they're low enough to where i wont need a cheek rest. any other ideas on scopes? i was thinking about a scout type scope possibly. i don't really want a reflex sight.
Old February 23, 2012, 03:38 PM   #8
Gunny I Corps

To Danny Reid

I have a Socom II. For a couple of years I had an Aimpoint on it, but thought I
wasn't getting full use out of the rifle.
I agree that it is a CQB rifle, but it has more capabilities than just CQB.
I took the Aimpoint off and put on a Leupold scope. I tried a Mark IV 6.5x20first, but decided it was overkill. I put the Mark IV back on my 308 Sendero and put another scope on the SOCOM II with its extended rail. It's a Leupold Vari-X III 2.5 X 8 with a mildot reticule and M1 tower turrets. I then have a Predator offset mount coming off the rail with a Trijicon RMR with a Triangle heads up display.

The scope lets me reach out to six hundred plus (I think the gun and scope combination could do better if the shooter was better.)
For the CQB stuff all I do is cant the rifle to my weak side and the Trijicon RMR, with the triangle, is right there because it's zeroed on the same axis as the barrel and I don't loose my cheek weld.

I tried this recently in a three gun shoot, and it worked out great.
Bottom line with all of that is, I prefer to have one gun do as much as possible because it may be the only gun I have with me when the $hi# hits the fan, and that may be shortly.

I've seen someone else use this quote after their post. I liked it and so I think I'll start using it after my posts as well ... I don't think he or Sam Adams will mind.
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!” - Samuel Adams

Last edited by Gunny I Corps; February 23, 2012 at 03:52 PM.
Old February 23, 2012, 03:41 PM   #9
zoomie

Danny Reid hasn't logged onto the forums in almost 2 years.
Old February 23, 2012, 03:53 PM   #10
Gunny I Corps

Too bad. It may help someone else though.