The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 16, 2010, 08:17 AM   #1
mapsjanhere

357 Mag, how cheap can you go?

My reloading is usually limited to rifle rounds, single station press, individual weighted powder charge, miking every case and cartridge. Now, I got my wife into shooting, and during our biweekly range sessions, she goes through a couple of boxes of 357 in her 1894, and I'm starting to consider reloading those for cost reasons.
Factory loads I can get for around 45 cents each. If I did the math correctly, to hand load I have to pay 3.5c for primer, around 15c for bullet and 2c for powder, so about half of the factory round.
My question is, am I missing something substantial here in my cost analysis, and is it worth getting a dedicated set-up just for this? I saw a Lee progressive kit for $150, are those going to work reliable enough to speed up the process significantly? Other suggestions? I'm more time limited then money wise, but the whole thing should still be aimed at reducing overall cost (so no Dillon 1050 with the full expansion pack).
Old May 16, 2010, 08:46 AM   #2
palabman

An indexing turret press may be the answer. The Lee Classic Turret uses a turret head that can hold up to 4 dies. Instead of the shell holder assembly turning with each pull, the turret head does. I recently upgraded to this setup from my Rock Chucker and am very happy with it. While it isn't a true progressive as a loaded round doesn't drop with each pull, it has really sped up the process. You can buy multiple turret heads and set up your other calibers for quick change. I've seen the kits on sale for as low as $177.
Old May 16, 2010, 09:26 AM   #3
catzor

I just bought the lee 4 hole turret kit from midway a couple days ago. The kit itself was only $110 and the dies - carbide with the FCD - were an additional $35. I think I payed $159 delivered to my front door. Not a bad deal at all, and there's no reason not to use it as an upgrade for your rifle loading setup, too.
Old May 16, 2010, 12:37 PM   #4
Hydraulicman

don't forget about cast bullets
http://www.missouribullet.com/result...5&secondary=10

at around .10 cents a bullet

the lee classic turret will turn out a few boxes of 357 in short order

if you want full power 357 with H110 or W296 you might consider a rotary drum type powder measure like the RCBS uniflow.

personally I load all my .357 mags to near max. if i want less i use .38

When i reach for 357 mag ammo i want MAGNUM ammo and some measures don't do well with magnum powder. blue dot might be a good alternative or little gun but i have not tried them.
Old May 16, 2010, 09:07 PM   #5
zippy13

Hydraulicman suggests using commercially cast bullets. If you really want to save, consider casting your own bullets.
Old May 16, 2010, 10:40 PM   #6
oneounceload

I prefer to load on a single press using the batch method - I'll resize and deprime a batch, then I'll reprime and flare; last, I'll add powder and seat the bullet.

I can keep good QC that way, and IMO, I can go faster than using a turret loading each complete round

YMMV
Old May 17, 2010, 11:22 AM   #7
IllinoisCoyoteHunter

+1 on the Lee Classic Turret Press. Buying commerical cast bullets or casting your own boolits can save substantial $$$. I cast my own because I have time and a steady supply of lead.

~NRA LIFE MEMBER~
~NRA CERTIFIED INSTRUCTOR~
Old May 17, 2010, 11:27 AM   #8
Don P

.15 seems a bit high for bullets. I am shooting lead and paying .06 per bullet. You may want to look at lead bullets to further reduce your cost per round. You can also load 38spl. for just a little less than the 357's. Your choice for the Lee press is my choice and will serve you well for what you are going to do.
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old May 17, 2010, 11:48 AM   #9
Doodlebugger45

I pay 7.5 cents per bullet for hard cast 158 gr bullets. I only use the jacketed bullets for the really hot stuff using 296/110 powder. If you are insistent on loading up the really hot stuff with jacketed bullets, then your powder costs will go up to 4.5 cents per round also. But I find that I can run the hard cast bullets fairly fast with 231 or TiteGroup with no leading and my total cost is around 13 cents per round.

No doubt casting would be even cheaper but there is no way that I will get into that particular hobby.

I just use a single stage press. It is fine for my needs. But if your wife is shooting 200 rounds per week, that would certainly involve quite a bit of time at the reloading bench. Maybe the turret would speed things up, although some people here claim the time savings with the turret press is pretty minimal. Once you get a flow going though, you'll find that it doesn't take more than 90 minutes or so to load up 200 rounds. Perhaps you can convince the wife to help out with some of the tedious stuff like brass prep. Or maybe she will even get the bug and do all her own reloading. Once you get the seating/crimping die set up, it's not very complicated at all if you are loading the same bullet/powder all the time.
Old May 17, 2010, 02:31 PM   #10
IllinoisCoyoteHunter

Quote:
No doubt casting would be even cheaper but there is no way that I will get into that particular hobby.
That's what I said when I started reloading too....

My name is IllinoisCoyoteHunter and I am addicted to boolit casting.......

(The first step in rehab is aknowledging that you have a problem...)

~NRA LIFE MEMBER~
~NRA CERTIFIED INSTRUCTOR~
Old May 17, 2010, 02:52 PM   #11
Doodlebugger45

Well... maybe if I just try it one time...

I could do it just for social purposes, ya know?
Old May 17, 2010, 04:12 PM   #12
briandg

Take it from a caster, it ain't gonna save you any money. When you are paying fines for stealing the wheel weights off of cars, it adds up quickly.
Old May 17, 2010, 04:18 PM   #13
AlaskaMike

Quote:
When you are paying fines for stealing the wheel weights off of cars, it adds up quickly.
That's what I use the neighborhood kids for.
Old May 17, 2010, 05:10 PM   #14
BigJimP

Sure its worth it to get set up to load .357 mag ....

I like a progressive press / you sure don't need a Dillon 1050 ....but a Dillon SDB is about $366 / or a 650 ( which is a better press, because it has a powder check die option in it for about $545 ) - and either press will turn out a very high quality cartridge.../ and way faster than a turret press ... There is nothing wrong with a single stage or turret press ...it just takes time. My Dillon 650 ( with a case feeder will easily crank out 1,000 rds an hour ) but even the SDV is a solid 400 or 500 rds an hour.

I don't load or shoot any lead bullets ... but I'm only paying about $0.07 cents for a 125 gr plated bullet ( Rainier ) or $0.08 for 158gr ....Montana Gold CMJ bullets 158gr and about $ 0.105 but no need to go there for range ammo ... and $ 0.01 for powder / $ 0.03 for primers ...buy everything in case lots .....so I'm showing my finished cost around $ 0.12 each or $6 a box for a little over a 70% savings over your factory cost ammo.

You're saving $ 16.50 a box and even at 4 boxes a month .... you'll save almost $ 800 a year. Now we both know what'll happen - instead of 4 boxes a month / she'll shoot 10 or 12 ....but hey, she's having a good time ...spend the money on a good press / teach her how to use it ...
Old May 19, 2010, 09:12 PM   #15
K96771

http://www.missouribullet.com/result...5&secondary=10

Less than .07 cents each and good quality. You should be able to load a box of 50 for around $5 to $6. I use the Lee Turret and love it. Good luck!
Old May 19, 2010, 09:35 PM   #16
zxcvbob

158 grain cast bullet, 8.0 grains of Herco powder, and a Wolf SP or SR primer. About 10¢ each total, not including the brass, for a not quite full power load (like you could get with 2400, W296, H110, or #9 powder) but close enough to still get you attention.
Old May 20, 2010, 10:18 PM   #17
mapsjanhere

Thanks a lot on all the recommendations, especially in regards to cheaper bullets. I might put that Dillon on my Christmas list after all, and tell my wife it's just for her.
Old May 23, 2010, 06:35 PM   #18
TriumphGuy

Two trips a week to the range? Sir, I envy you and your spare time. If you're not going to buy your wife a .22, I would certainly get into reloading. The suggestions above are great.

If you want to go into an auto-indexing press, the Lee Loadmasters are great, so long as you're willing to tinker and adjust them as required.
Old May 24, 2010, 01:11 AM   #19
DocAitch

I'll chime in here.
I've used a 4 hole turret to load complete rounds without removing the case and I've used the same press as a single stage ,using one die at a time and batching the rounds. The first method is faster because you cut down on the brass handling motions but you lose the opportunity to eyeball every powder charge in a tray at one time- I believe this is a MOST important safety feature. You can also lose your rhythm and screw up, so I batch load.
I have also used the Lee Pro 1000 (the $150 press that the OP mentions above)and you can make good ammo on one but you have to be extremely careful. The primer feed ties up quite easily and it's easy to produce a squib load. I don't believe this is a tool for a novice.
I do have a Dillon 650 for which I do most of my pistol loading and I absolutely love it, I depend on the Lee classic cast press for those calibers for which I don't yet have a Dillon caliber change and dies (.380ACP and .45 Colt). I single (batch) load all my rifle ammo.
If your wife will pop for the Dillon for Christmas, YOU ARE A LUCKY GUY. I consider myself lucky that my wife only grumbles a little bit about those odd packages that arrive by FedEx (she's gotten good enough to identify a bayonet inside a closed box)
DocAitch