The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 13, 2009, 03:33 PM   #1
poetic332

Info on LYMAN METTCALDIE bullet seating die???

Anyone ever heard of this? I am wondering if it will fit in a Lee press. looks wierd and I can't find any info on this die.

Ebay listing for the LYMAN Die

Anyone? Much Thanks for any info.
Old June 13, 2009, 03:39 PM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

It's just a variation on the RCBS competition seater. It looks wierd because it has a quick change die collar on it, but the die itself has standard threads and the collar is an adapter than can be removed.

Personally I prefer the Redding Competition Seating Die with its sliding sleeve that forces case coaxiality with the bullet and floating bullet seater. Forster makes a sliding sleeve type as well that costs less and I hear is also good, but I haven't tried one personally. The Reddings I have leave virtually no measurable cartridge runout other than that caused by neck wall thickness unevenness.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old June 13, 2009, 03:49 PM   #3
poetic332

Thanks for FAST the info. ... Why I really appreciate all the knowledgable people like you who subscribe to TFL Forums.

I agree the Redding die does appear to be a bit nicer going by the write ups and user reviews. Hopefully the Factory Crimp Die I have will help compensate for the runout problem if this seating die poses any.

But... I just won the auction for $15 as apposed to $80+ for the Redding. Lol.

Thank you again.
Old June 13, 2009, 03:56 PM   #4
Unclenick
Staff

The rifle type Factory Crimp die won't do anything for bullet straightness in the case, but it can make some bullets/cartridge combinations shoot better at close to moderate ranges (say, to 300 yards) by improving bullet pull and with it, powder ignition and velocity consistency. You just have to try your loads with and without it to see which ones it helps? I have never tried them at long range, fearing the indentation in the bullet might be great enough to affect ballistic coefficient out where wind drift is more critical and bullet trajectory is steep.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle