The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 15, 2009, 06:18 PM   #1
number9

Advice for new reloader

Guys, I know I am late to the party, but I am leaning very heavily on getting into reloading. I am looking at reloading for 9mm for my XD and .223 for my AR's.

I am not looking at hot loads or super accurate, just general plinking loads - like copying the 115gr FMJ bullet loads like the WWB or Blazer Brass 9mm I buy at walmart. These are the cases I'd be reloading anyway.

For the AR's, just looking at 55gr FMJ bullets and using PMC or Privi M193 spent cases. Again, just normal plinking loads along the lines of wolf steel cased ammo. I know the Privi M193 is NATO load, not trying to copy that, just use the spent brass when I shoot it up.

I am looking at the Lee Classis Turret press and the Lee Pro Auto-Disc Powder Measure setup for equipment. Either Lee or Hornady dies from what I have been able to dig up in searches on the net.

My questions are......

I will need small pistol primers for the 9mm?

I will need small rifle primers for the .223?

Can I get a powder that can be used in both loads so to keep costs down?

What bullets / primers / powder would you with experience suggest?

Thanks guys.

Old April 15, 2009, 06:28 PM   #2
rwilson452

uys, I know I am late to the party, but I am leaning very heavily on getting into reloading. I am looking at reloading for 9mm for my XD and .223 for my AR's.

I am not looking at hot loads or super accurate, just general plinking loads - like copying the 115gr FMJ bullet loads like the WWB or Blazer Brass 9mm I buy at walmart. These are the cases I'd be reloading anyway.

For the AR's, just looking at 55gr FMJ bullets and using PMC or Privi M193 spent cases. Again, just normal plinking loads along the lines of wolf steel cased ammo. I know the Privi M193 is NATO load, not trying to copy that, just use the spent brass when I shoot it up.

Quote:
I am looking at the Lee Classis Turret press and the Lee Pro Auto-Disc Powder Measure setup for equipment. Either Lee or Hornady dies from what I have been able to dig up in searches on the net.

My questions are......

I will need small pistol primers for the 9mm?
yes

I
Quote:
will need small rifle primers for the .223?
yes

Quote:
Can I get a powder that can be used in both loads so to keep costs down?

no

Quote:
What bullets / primers / powder would you with experience suggest?

far too many choices to list them all.

The first thing you need to get is a reloading manual. at this juncture I would suggest you get Lee dies and the Lee "Modern Reloading" for a manual.

READ THE MANUAL FIRST!

Thanks guys.
Old April 15, 2009, 06:35 PM   #3
Sevens

You will need small pistol primers for 9mm, and small rifle for .223. Right now, all primers are hard to get. Out of stock everyone, pricey when you do find them.

You can use the same powder between many different handgun calibers, and some powders work well across a range of different rifle calibers... but for use between both 9mm and .223, NO, there's really no powder that can pull this off. But look at it this way... your powder supply will last longer since you are using them for their own calibers.

In 9mm, I've had great luck moving to the 124/125 grain bullet weight. I found that this weight is more common in both jacketed and cast lead, so it's what I use and it works well.

For powder, you can do well with Bullseye, Titegroup, W231, Accurate #2 or #5, and many others, but these are some suggestions.

In .223, I have no experience in advice for the AR platform... all my .223's come out of a 14-inch Contender... but I've successfully used from 40 to 60 grains in many different styles. The two powders that work well for me include H335 (which meters GREAT!) and H4198 which performs just as well with a lower charge weight and less pressure, but doesn't meter as nicely.

I think your press is a great choice, I would also recommend the Lee dies as they give you the most for your money. But in the end, you'll probably buy whichever you can find in stock, because it's all tough to find right now.

I would argue against the Pro Auto Disk powder measure, because I'm not sold on a fixed chamber system. I prefer an adjustable system, like Lee's Perfect Powder measure. Either way, you will need a scale, too.
Old April 15, 2009, 06:58 PM   #4
SKULLANDCROSSBONES65

G'day and welcome to TFL.
SIERRA #1355 is a 55gr FMJBT that is intended to duplicate the M193 bullet.
Old April 15, 2009, 07:27 PM   #5
number9

Quote:
I would argue against the Pro Auto Disk powder measure, because I'm not sold on a fixed chamber system. I prefer an adjustable system, like Lee's Perfect Powder measure. Either way, you will need a scale, too.
I was looking at the Lee Classic Turret kit from Cabelas or the same kit from Kempf - can the Perfect Powder measure be mounted on the Turret press?

Old April 15, 2009, 09:11 PM   #6
Sevens

I don't believe that it can, but I can't answer that for sure.
Old April 15, 2009, 10:17 PM   #7
rwilson452

Using the universal charging die you can mount it on the turret press but there is no way to get the measure to return to the starting position. you would need to work it manually. Be real careful doing this as it can result in no charge or a double charge. Either of these can absolutely positively ruin your day. I have loaded rifle cartridges this way but I was NOT using the press in auto indexing mode. More like a single stage press that incidentally held more dies.

Quote:
I was looking at the Lee Classic Turret kit from Cabelas or the same kit from Kempf - can the Perfect Powder measure be mounted on the Turret press?