The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 2, 2006, 08:35 AM   #1
carl418

Reloading questions

I'm thinking of taking up reloading, but I have no experience at all. Any suggestons/comments are welcome! Also, I am looking for detailed suggestions on brand of equipment and prices to expect. Thanks!

S&WCA | SAF | GOA Life | NRA Benefactor
Old July 2, 2006, 08:56 AM   #2
WESHOOT2

I'll do it

JUST DO IT! Start NOW!

1) Safety glasses; wear if touching anything other than paper.

2) RCBS offers excellent equipment with a lifetime warranty; can use dies from Lyman, LEE, RCBS. Dillon, Hornady, Redding, others.

3) Ensure safety; use data from multiple sources.

4) Buy best buy once (but can buy used gear, especially Dillon and RCBS).

5) Learn; there are no stupid questions.

6) Have a goal when developing a load, and record its specifics in a Lyman Reloading Data Log; do this as if it's mandatory (because it is).

Mine?
LEE presses (both broken), Bonanza Co-Ax, Lyman Crusher II, Dillon XL650; dies from LEE , Lyman, Dillon, Redding, RCBS, Hornady; RCBS 505 Scale and Lyman weight Check Set (used religiously, and every single time I set up my scale); LEE chamfer tool and primer-pocket cleaner; Hornady/Pacific powder measure and case trimmer; $25 sets of dial calipers (but a 0--1" ten-thousanths micrometer); other stuff.

Questions? answers ... [email protected]
Old July 2, 2006, 11:53 AM   #3
tburns234

I'm going to jump in with my first post on this board by saying this....go Dillon. I jumped into reloading three years ago with a Dillon 650 with a case feeder and all the other bells and whistles. I didn't find it intimidating or difficult to learn how to use. They even sell a video on how to set up the machine. I highly recommend that, btw. Once that I learned how to make it all work, I can crank out ammo in any quantity I need from a few to a thousand in short order.

Go Dillon early and often. My 2ยข worth.......
Old July 2, 2006, 01:07 PM   #4
skeeter1

Probably belongs in the "handload & reloading" forum, but I'll reiterate WESHOOT5's comment: There are no stupid questions. People around here tend to give knowledgable and honest answers to questions.

I'm using a Lee press and Lee carbide dies, but I just got some Hornady lock rings because the Lee ones just wouldn't hold. I think they were about three bucks each, so not a big deal.
Old July 2, 2006, 04:19 PM   #5
carl418

Thanks for the info, guys. Please keep it coming, especially any comments on start-up costs!
Now that it's been pointed out, I see that I should have put this thread somewhere else. Sorry about that... how can I move it? Thanks.....

Old July 2, 2006, 06:42 PM   #6
amamnn

reloading

I would say buy a press that takes STANDARD dies--save yourself a lot of grief--Lee makes good equipment and dies to start out on. get "the ABCs of Reloading" and/or "Modern Reloading" read the book for the information about the process and take it to heart.
Don't get obssessed with accuracy until you know what you're doing with standard loads. Don't use brass you picked up at the range; it can be that the guy who left it had already worked it to the point of failure. It may be perfectly ok but why take a chance?
You can find good deals on reloading components and equipment online at Midway USA and Midsouth Shooter's Supply and Graf & Sons among others. Good luck, have fun.
Old July 3, 2006, 01:10 AM   #7
joneb

What are you thinking to reload ?
Old July 3, 2006, 05:24 AM   #8
carl418

Mostly all I shoot is 357 mag in my 586. I have a M29 on layaway, so at some point, I will need to load 44 mag also. (or 44 special)
What is the difference in a single stage press and a progressive press? someone told me to start with a single, as a progressive might be too much to learn on.
Thanks for all the suggestions and please keep them coming! All is welcome..

Old July 3, 2006, 07:19 AM   #9
straightShot

Thinking about taking up reloading?

DON'T DO IT!

You'll go in thinking that you'll be saving money, but you'll just end up shooting more! It happens to all of us!

On the serious side, read and then reread. Take your time, and things will turn out fine.

straightShot
Old July 3, 2006, 08:45 AM   #10
Nortonics

Lee Classic Cast Turret Press - you won't regret it. Excellent reviews here, among a ton of other places:

http://www.realguns.com/archives/122.htm

http://www.realguns.com/archives/123.htm

http://www.realguns.com/archives/124.htm

Get that entire setup with your first set of dies for less than $150. Next set of dies with an additional turret to load 'em into is about another $30 or so. You'll be doing 250 rounds an hour of perfect handoaded ammo.

Absolutely nobody could fault this setup, especially for a new handloader...
Old July 3, 2006, 10:59 AM   #11
Buckythebrewer

Read the books 1st before buying any gear.You will learn alot from the reloading books as well as what gear you will wan't and need..Get the lyman book, or the lee book,maybe the abc's of reloading(don't have it but hear its great)..I recommend Lee products because they work great and don't cost much..If you get into it just be safe and use starting loads with all your ammo and learn whats O.K. from there in safe steps..If you wan't accuracy handloading is the best way to get it good luck
Old July 3, 2006, 11:27 AM   #12
joneb

I reload with a RCBS rockchucker press, it a bit slow...My scale is a Redding RS-1 a simple balance type, and my powder measure is a Redding #3k this has a micro pistol meter. You'll need a caliper. For straight wall cases get the CARBIDE dies.
The most important thing you'll need to reload is knowledge, at least two reloading manuals that gives you the "how to" and what to do with all this stuff.
http://www.eohc.ca/reloading.asp#dillon
Old July 3, 2006, 12:22 PM   #13
temmi

It's a great hobby!
There is some outlay of cash… so you may not see a savings for a while
DON’T Start at MAX loads… I would not push your Cartridge to the limit… you will never turn a 30-06 into a 300 WM.
Your biggest benefit is FUN and accuracy.

• Get the best equipment you can afford.
• RCBS is great, I have a rock chucker from the 80’s it is still good
• Unless otherwise specified RCBS is my number one choice for all reloading products
• My rifle die choice is “Forster Bench Rest Full Length”
• Get a power trimmer as soon as you can, I have a Lyman Power Case Trimmer…
• I would not load without a “RCBS ChargeMaster 1500 Powder”, I know opinions will vary here… This is mine
• Don’t forget the little things Steel Electronic Caliper, neck brush, a RCBS kit will have a lots of these items like case tray, case lube pad,…

You will need several good manuals my favorites are Speer, Hornady, A-Square "Any Shot You Want Handloading and Rifle Manual" , I use them as a cross reference…Don’t just jump in and start loading read the front ob the books… they will give you a lot of good information. If you start low and work up you should be OK.

Lastly, Remember it’s not a race you are not a factory… take your time… and “measure twice and cut once”
It is better to find a mistake than to shoot one…
I like to weigh each component; I sort cases in to .5 grain groups, bullets into groups of exact weight and weigh every powder charge… I can then predict what each completed cartridge should weigh and then I weigh the completed cartridge… it the last check… it makes me feel safe. Also Label each box with all the info you can, Brass type (do not mix brass manufactures) and weight, Powder weight and type, Primer type, bullet type and actual weight/advertised weight (199.9/200 gr)…
I enjoy the extra work. You will get a lot of good advice from forums like this… but we are not the word of god, do not be shy about calling the component manufacturer, they want to answer our questions too.

Last edited by temmi; July 3, 2006 at 01:57 PM.
Old July 3, 2006, 07:35 PM   #14
carl418

Wow, guys...... I'm impressed with the answers I'm getting! Thanks a lot! I've finally read thru all the links provided, and my head is spinning..... lol. This will take some time to sort out, but time I've got! lol...
Any more suggestions/comments are certainly welcome! Thanks again...

Old July 3, 2006, 08:22 PM   #15
skeeter1

If you get into reloading...

First, the best advice above is to get yourself a good reloading manual. It could save you a lot of grief.

Secondly, a Lee hand press and a set of Lee carbide dies won't set you back much and is a good starting point.

Thirdly, this guy, Bill Hoff, [email protected], (a.k.a Southern Brass & Reloading) is a great source for cleaned empty brass. I've dealt with him a couple of times and he's reliable and prompt when it comes to shipping.

Fourthly, I like Hornady jacketed hollow-points, http://www.hornady.com/, for my .38 Spl reloads, and I'm sure they would work well in your .357 as well.

Finally, relax and enjoy reloading. It's just another hobby, and beats watching re-runs on TV!
Old July 4, 2006, 11:43 AM   #16
npv

I agree with tburns234 on the Dillon comments. I have a Square Deal B and a 550B great products. No regrets w/ this purchase

In addition to the manuals mentioned above I would get the ABC of Reloading... great book to get you started. http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...eitemid=738288

Have fun.

-npv
Old July 6, 2006, 07:46 PM   #17
carl418

Thanks once again for all the great advice! I've ordered a couple of manuals, and will start on buying equipment after I understand everything a little better. So, soon enough, you'll see MORE questions from me!

Old July 7, 2006, 09:58 PM   #18
Toolman

Join the crowd

I started reloading for rifle & pistol about a year ago. I bought the Lee Anniversary kit and I'm still using it. Get at least two reloading manuals.
So far Lee equipment has done everything I've asked it to do. I also bought the Frankford Arsenal Tumbler and a Redding powder trickler. I'm not into speed loading, just like to take my time & enjoy it. The most time consuming task is case preparation for rifle brass. I've loaded over 3500 rounds of .223 and several hundred rounds of .357 & .45 ACP.
I just ordered the dies for 7.5 X 55 Swiss & 7.62 X 39.
Old July 7, 2006, 10:49 PM   #19
Bud Helms

temmi and npv said it ... reloading manuals and READ, Read, read ...