The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old September 1, 2017, 02:37 AM   #76
Concerned Citizen

Quote:
Anyone CCW a Revolver?
Well, I imagine that since you are asking on "The Revolver Forum", you will get a lot of "yes" answers.

Quote:
You folks that carry revolvers, of any size, in your front pockets must be wearing some baggy britches!
I often carry a 642 Airweight in the front pocket of cargo pants/shorts or loose fitting jeans (not baggy) during warmer weather. It's comfortable and no one has a clue. As long as the pants/shorts have deep pockets and you can still breathe while wearing them it isn't an issue. Most people are off in their own little worlds and wouldn't look up from their phones long enough to notice someone pocket carrying a 1911 much less a 642.

Last edited by Concerned Citizen; September 1, 2017 at 04:26 AM.
Old September 5, 2017, 02:11 PM   #77
Mike_Fontenot

My EDC is a S&W69 4-1/4" 5-shot .44mag. It replaced my 10mm Kimber Eclipse Custom II for that duty about a year ago.
Old September 5, 2017, 02:48 PM   #78
CDR_Glock

Both 15 yards. That wide shot was my lack of concentration.

Kimber K6s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old September 6, 2017, 10:09 AM   #79
357 Python

I usually carry a 4" Colt Python or 4" S&W 686. When I don't carry one of them I carry a 3" S&W 65. I started with revolvers and have transitioned to semi-autos but still love my revolvers.
Old September 6, 2017, 02:14 PM   #80
TruthTellers

Went shooting with my friend today who, because he lives in a free state West of the Hudson River, has a CCW permit. His carry gun is a S&W J frame with exposed hammer, my future carry gun is a Glock 27 Gen 4.

Shooting that J frame, with +P ammo is not easy. He never goes to the range to shoot and he was throwing 6 inch groups at 5 yards with his carry ammo at first. I brought some standard pressure 158 grain LRN and after some more practice, with ample time taken to aim between each shot, he was getting 2 inches at 10 yards.

I was getting 3 inch groups at 18 yards with my Glock 27 with fairly rapid shots.

My point is that small snub revolvers with little grips are very hard to aim and me, not being one who shoots them often, have come to the conclusion that they are not for me as carry guns. For the size, you can get a .380 that's much smaller or a 9mm that's roughly the same size.

This coming from someone who bought a Rock Island 2 inch .38 revolver 3 weeks ago. I bought that to use as a nightstand gun or a garage gun, not for carrying. My current disposition is that if I'm going to carry a revolver, it's going to have a barrel length of at least 3 inches and a medium to full size grip and it's likely going to be an open carry gun.

EDIT: And after seeing how poorly my friend was shooting with his .38 that he rarely shoots, it becomes all the more clear to me the value of a .32 caliber revolver. Why? .32 beats any .22 for performance and accurate shooting and it has less recoil than .38.

Last edited by TruthTellers; September 6, 2017 at 02:59 PM. Reason: More thoughts
Old September 6, 2017, 11:13 PM   #81
Concerned Citizen

Quote:
Went shooting with my friend today who, because he lives in a free state West of the Hudson River, has a CCW permit. His carry gun is a S&W J frame with exposed hammer, my future carry gun is a Glock 27 Gen 4.

Shooting that J frame, with +P ammo is not easy. He never goes to the range to shoot and he was throwing 6 inch groups at 5 yards with his carry ammo at first. I brought some standard pressure 158 grain LRN and after some more practice, with ample time taken to aim between each shot, he was getting 2 inches at 10 yards.

I was getting 3 inch groups at 18 yards with my Glock 27 with fairly rapid shots.
Well, someone who never goes to the range and shoots really isn't a good case against the overall worth of the snubnose revolver. Yes, they are more difficult to master then a comparably sized semi-auto and it takes practice but it can be done if one is willing.

Even though modern day J-Frames are rated for +P ammo, I don't shoot or carry those in the Airweight models, only in the full steel frames as they do effect my follow up shot potential, but that's just me. Standard pressure in aluminum frames is OK if you choose the right load and are still a better bet then .380acp and more reliable.

I also doubt that most people who never go to the range and practice would be able to navigate the manual of arms with a semi-auto if they ever were to have a malfunction in a self defense scenario so you've got to ask yourself what's worse: someone who gets 6 inch groups at 5 yards with a snubbie or someone who can't rack a slide or remember to flip their safety off or correct a FTF or FTE under stress because they never practice or shoot their gun? Case in point: Know how your firearm works and practice with it, whatever platform it may be. How well a person shoots greatly depends on their training and on the gun itself.

Quote:
My point is that small snub revolvers with little grips are very hard to aim and me, not being one who shoots them often, have come to the conclusion that they are not for me as carry guns. For the size, you can get a .380 that's much smaller or a 9mm that's roughly the same size.
A J-Frame is not that big. I manage to pocket carry my Airweight all the time and have never been called out for it yet. Yes, a pocket .380 is certainly smaller and that is a real advantage but size isn't the only thing to consider. How about reliability and stopping power? The .380acp and the small pocket pistols they are chambered for are notoriously lax in these aspects.

I have not tried out a so-called pocket sized 9mm yet that I felt was a true pocket pistol. Some were roughly the equivalent size of a J-Frame but due to their blocky shape did not pocket carry well for me and they felt heavier when fully loaded. They were not exactly pleasant to shoot either. 9mm is no slouch and in one of these guns feels more like the equivalent of a .38special +P in an aluminum J-Frame in terms of recoil. The only true semi-auto pocket pistol for me would be chambered in .380acp or less.

Last edited by Concerned Citizen; September 7, 2017 at 06:06 AM.