The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old September 5, 2017, 05:15 PM   #1
Stopsign32v

(picture heavy) $600 used Cimarron Uberti Cattleman...I think I could have done worse

Looking on Collectorsfirearms.com which most of the time is nothing but firearms way out of my price range, I decided to stop drooling and admiring and type in "Uberti" and see what popped up. I came across this listing, the grips are what grabbed me first.

http://www.collectorsfirearms.com/ub...ecial-pr35308/

I liked 44 Special and those were very attractive grips but I had no idea who they were made by. Their description leaves much to be desired so today while looking at it again I decided to give them a call and ask some questions. I guess my main question was what was the extra cylinder and if it was 44 Special as well, why? You are probably thinking exactly what I was hoping for...

I gave them a call and asked what was the extra cylinder. They didn't know but he would get his gunsmith to find out. I also asked if the 2 piece grips had the frame drilled and pinned or what. He said he would call me back.

I get a call later and he said the cylinder was a 44/40 cylinder. SCORE! And that the frame was not drilled and pinned for the grips. This confused me and I wanted to know how they were secured to the frame. So I requested more photos with the grips off the gun and pictures of the frame and inside of the grips. He said he would pass my request along and hopefully they could fulfill it. These were the photos I received...

Old September 5, 2017, 05:16 PM   #2
Stopsign32v

And I saved the last picture for a reason and something that really really got me excited. I have always wanted a pair of these and to my knowledge the man has passed away and is no longer making these. They are very well known and I'm sure some of you will know what they are. This honestly was the deal sealer for me because of what they are and how well they fit...

Old September 5, 2017, 06:26 PM   #3
Model12Win

A .44 special single action would be amazing! What a BUET!!!!!!!!!!

LOVE that Uberti!!!! DO WANT!!!!

Very nice gun! A good single action is one gun type I've yet to find. Maybe I should get a .44 special SA? Supposedly easier to reload than .44-40, and such a sweet gun OP!!
Old September 5, 2017, 06:44 PM   #4
Hawg

Mine is a bp frame with stag grips and marked a little different. I never used the .44 special cylinder.

Old September 5, 2017, 08:14 PM   #5
Rockrivr1

I have the same gun except mine came in 44-40 with a 44 special conversion cylinder. Really love that revolver. Though your grips are better!
Old September 5, 2017, 09:24 PM   #6
4V50 Gary
Staff

It looks like it has grains. Real ivory grips? Win!
Old September 6, 2017, 10:37 AM   #7
Stopsign32v

Thanks guys. Sadly these aren't real Ivory grips. If they were they would cost close to the whole value of the gun! But these are thought of by most to be the next best thing. Tru Ivory grips had a colt following of their own it seemed.

I think I'm going to put a bit of money into this revolver.

-A tune and action job by someone.
-Maybe a 4.75" barrel (maybe even a Colt one).
-Finally have Fords nickel plate the gun.