The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old February 27, 2017, 10:19 AM   #26
g.willikers

Most folks don't even begin to know how to run a business.
And that's essentially what a club is doing, especially when trying to promote match attendance.
Those in charge with promoting a match are as likely to chase folks away as attract them, without much of a clue either way.
Most clubs would benefit from hiring an actual business manager, but try and convince anyone of that.
Old February 28, 2017, 10:42 PM   #27
PPGMD

$100 more for non-members? That is ridiculous. For $150 you can attend some smaller major matches.

In fact I did a quick survey of matchsignup, out of 12 major matches listed, only two had match fees more than $150. One was a USPSA match at $155/170 (it bumps up), the other is the A6 USPSA 3gun championship at $175.
Old March 1, 2017, 05:13 PM   #28
1-DAB

my local range has monthly IDPA matches that i attend. $10. if you aren't a member, $15. fees go toward supplies and equipment.

i have in the past lent my spare gun and gear to someone who either forgot something essential (like the gun) or had a mechanical problem with theirs. and ammo too.

i think it's more important that you come out and shoot than that i hoard my ammo. i can get more another day.

and i'm sure if you pled your case, i or someone else would cover your fee for one or two matches until you got your feet wet.

as noted above, it's important to attract new shooters.
Old March 2, 2017, 09:30 AM   #29
lmccrock

$100 extra is punitive. They only want members to shoot.

My experience is USPSA and 3-gun. A $5 member discount is common for a local match fee of $20 to $30. The venue gets $5-$10 per shooter. Big regional or national matches are $200-$300, and I do not recall a venue giving discounts for its own members. And a $25 discount for early registration is not unusual.

At the big matches I worked, the venue got a fixed rate, based more on downtime because the match takes over the place. They did not care as much how many shooters so much as the range being closed to their members/regulars for a week or whatever.
Old May 15, 2017, 12:44 PM   #30
Grizzly Targets

Entry Fees to Stir Membership

It's a fine line between upcharging in order to spur activity towards signing up as a full time member, vs over charging people who aren't currently members and leaving a sour taste in their mouth.

One interesting way to do it is to cap membership, create a little scarcity. Anyone have any experience with ranges that cap membership numbers?
Old May 15, 2017, 02:00 PM   #31
g.willikers

Yes, I have.
A member had to leave or die before a new one could join.
No thought about how to increase the number of members instead of having a membership cap.
Most club officers have no clue how to run a successful club.
Imagine a business that limits the number of customers because they
have too many.
Old May 15, 2017, 03:13 PM   #32
FITASC

Quote:
Anyone have any experience with ranges that cap membership numbers?
Yep, I was a member of a small rifle/pistol club. Stopped because life got in the way for a few years. Still capped with a two year + waiting list. Nothing fancy or special - they say if they go above a certain number of members that their insurance goes up a lot. (With the number of folks waiting, I would bet they could cover that increase immediately.) I think those in charge like to think it is their own "private club" for just them and their friends.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old May 18, 2017, 10:31 AM   #33
PlatinumCore16

Quote:
Anyone have any experience with ranges that cap membership numbers?
Yes, and the flip-side.

Personally, I don't think that's a very creative or good way to deal with "too many" people. Over charging non members is also not a good business practice, but I think that FITSAC has a very good point that some people just want to have their own little club. In that case, go buy some land and make your own country club.

I was also part of a hunting club in NY that couldn't get enough people. They liked to be around 60 members, but they never got close enough to really worry about what to do if they went over.