The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 6, 2012, 11:29 PM   #1
Atbat82

My First Handgun - how'd I do

I bought my first handgun (or any gun truthfully) today. I've been looking, learning and lurking for a couple months now and was pretty convinced I'd be getting a Ruger SR9C. I'd decided on 9mm for the cost of ammo and minimal recoil. I figure it makes it more likely that I'll practice more often.

I went to my LGS today all set to buy the sr9c, when I noticed a Ruger P95. It was used, but seemed to be in fine mechanical shape. The bluing is a little faded/worn, but the gun cycled well, the trigger was good, and everything else checked out. Best of all it was $199 including case and two mags. Instead of $425 for the sr9c, I saved $225 that I can spend on ammo and range time.

It's obviously bigger than what I planned on, but I'm really looking for a range and nightstand gun. Not comfortable enough with my abilities yet to carry (drawing from concealment, weapon retention, etc). It's also DA/SA and hammer fired. But I don't really mind. I gotta learn on something right?

So, my question(s): how'd I do on price? And what are the general opinions about the P95. Also, anyone have suggestions/experience on what ammo works well or what to avoid?

Can't wait to get to the range.

-Tom
Old December 6, 2012, 11:34 PM   #2
Xfire68

The P95 is a fine gun and is accurate as heck.

It is big but who cares!
Old December 6, 2012, 11:44 PM   #3
chris in va

You did very well! Practical, and reliable.

I've never heard anyone having an ammo issue with the 95, but you'd probably do well to stick with CCI Blazer Brass.

I have to ask, have you taken a safety course yet?
Old December 6, 2012, 11:54 PM   #4
Atbat82

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris in va View Post
I have to ask, have you taken a safety course yet?
I have. I took a basic 8 hour handgun safety course. I've shot probably a dozen or so times with friends and I'm generally comfortable with operating a firearm. Of course, it's a little psychologically on a range than in your home.

Hope to God I never need to use it, but I want to be sure in proficient should that day ever come. I'll definitely be practicing frequently and will probably invest in a few more training classes.

I appreciate the knowledge on this forum. I've learned a ton over the last couple months.

Best,
Tom
Old December 7, 2012, 12:12 AM   #5
tahunua001

I think you did very well with your first purchase. the price sounds more than reasonable. the general consensus is that Ruger's P series guns are not the best but well suited to shooters on a budget. furthermore the P95 is not well suited as a concealed carry gun, due to it's large size it is difficult to conceal.

however they do make good range guns and the recoil of a full sized handgun is easier to adapt to than the recoil of a lightweight compact and you can still pick up all the the finer points of firearms safety; loading drills, clearing drills, sight picture, trigger control and get a feel for what you like about your gun and what you would change with your next purchase. when you are ready to buy a concealed carry gun, this purchase with give you the first hand experience you need to make an informed decision on what you want to trust your life to and what is the best fit for you.

a life time reading forums is no match for a year spent with a gun in your hand. congratulations on your first handgun and good luck with what could be the most addictive hobby you've ever picked up
Old December 7, 2012, 12:21 AM   #6
johnwilliamson062

Sounds good to me. If you find you need a smaller one you can trade/sell that at little to no loss. Probably better just to have two though.

"two is one, one is none" Who said that?
Old December 7, 2012, 07:07 AM   #7
Kreyzhorse

You did well. The P95 is a great gun and perfect for home defense. It is a bit big for concealed carry but you have some time to decide on a carry piece if you go that route.
Old December 7, 2012, 08:40 AM   #8
AdrianVall

I'm also in the market for a used P95. They are fantastic guns from all the reading I've done. Incredibly reliable and very inexpensive for what it offers. I'm most certainly sold on it. I just have to find one. They sell like hotcakes around here!
Old December 7, 2012, 10:33 AM   #9
Yung.gunr

Congrats.

I've never shot one, but heard only good things about them. They are big, but that is usually a pro vs a con based on why most people buy them (home & range).

Have fun & be safe.
Old December 7, 2012, 11:04 AM   #10
pgdion

Congrats and I think a good choice. 9mm is a great round (it's my all around favorite) and I like the P95's .... good guns.
Old December 7, 2012, 11:08 AM   #11
Rodger_p

A cousin by marriage has one. it is one of the most reliable guns I have ever seen.

That thing will even cycle 9mm shot shells
Old December 7, 2012, 01:29 PM   #12
lee n. field

Quote:
So, my question(s): how'd I do on price?

$199. You did good. If I saw something like that, I'd snap it up.

If you're looking for reassurance on your first handgun purchase, well, you did fine. Don't worry about it. If you decide down the road you'd rather have something else, this shouldn't be hard to move.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old December 7, 2012, 01:35 PM   #13
9mm

I do not recall if I ever heard anything bad about them. Buds has like 80 reviews @ 5 stars. It seems very solid.
Old December 7, 2012, 04:03 PM   #14
dgludwig

A great price for a handgun that is well-suited for being a person's first semi-auto pistol. The Ruger might be big and bulky but they are tough and reliable.
Old December 7, 2012, 04:13 PM   #15
TailGator

You got a very well-thought-of pistol, rugged and reliable, and a great value for you at that price. Good job! Get thee to the range and have some fun!
Old December 7, 2012, 04:16 PM   #16
blackamos

Big Ruger autos are the Ford trucks of the gun world. They all ways seem to work. My brother had a P90 and he shoots it better then his 1911. I think you made a wise choice.
Old December 7, 2012, 04:37 PM   #17
Atbat82

Appreciate the comments guys. I had little case of the "what did I just do?" last night. Like I said, I had planned on the smaller SR9C, but this price just seemed to goo to pass up. It was a quasi-impulse buy.

Hopefully I can get to the range this weekend and really get to know her. Until then, y'all have definitely put my mind at ease. Many thanks.

-Tom
Old December 7, 2012, 07:07 PM   #18
pat701

I believe that it has polymer rails not steel rails.
Old December 8, 2012, 01:19 AM   #19
Atbat82

Quote:
Originally Posted by pat701 View Post
I believe that it has polymer rails not steel rails.
That is correct according to what I can see. Wikipedia seems to back it up.
Old December 8, 2012, 07:59 AM   #20
AdrianVall

You got a great price on that P95. All these greedy gun shops around here are asking $350 at minimum for them. One was $350, and the other two are at $400.. I can get these for $299 brand new at gun shows. Doesn't make ANY sense. Crazy people. Guess I gotta keep looking.