The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old August 13, 2000, 08:57 AM   #1
xxero

"One Hole" has a bench rest technique on Al's Varmint Page:
http://www.cctrap.com/~varmint/ashot.htm

I can do the concrete bench and the Sinclair rest . . . What other options are out there?

What does your bench rest setup look like?

Old August 21, 2000, 09:18 AM   #2
Hutch

xxero, I don't check this forum very often, and I just found your post.

I am competing in our club's very relaxed benchrest rifle matches (2 of 'em so far). We have two classes for rifles, 1 for sho-'nuff benchrest rifles, and one for the rest of us. I have shot my 700VS in the "rest of us" class twice. I assume the basic rules are the same. 5 shots for record in 7 minutes, 5 times. Lowest average (aggregate) wins. I shot a .669 the first time and a .746 the second time. I am trying to get my 788 in .223 tuned up to see if it might be competitive. I really, really need (want) a new bench rest, as I'm using a plastic Midway "sight-in" rest.

In the 700, I shoot 168gr Sierra MatchKing over H380 and a Federal primer. I'm still poking around for a load for the 788, but I think it'll be a Sierra 52gr MK over H335. I have some issues with the 788, primarily the trigger. I hope to get them worked out soon. The 700VS has a 8.5x25 Leupold Long Range scope, and the 788 has a Leupold VX III 6.5x20. If I can't get the 788 dialed in, I expect to try and scratch up the dough for a 700VS in .223. I have no real interest in a real bench-rest rifle, but I'm intrigued by "tactical" rifles. I'd like to see my club try some longer range matches shot for score rather than for group size.

How about you?
Old August 24, 2000, 03:25 PM   #3
Bogie

I'd recommend constructing a good set of wind flags, even if all you're using is surveyor tape on some stakes. You'll be amazed at how much the wind conditions will blow up your groups...

A good Hart or Sinclair rest is a must. Don't cheap out on the rear bag either. I like cordura surfaces, but they'll scratch some guns. Darn.

Bogie
6PPC, 6BR and .22 Waldog competition shooter
.22-250, .223, and .308 fun shooter