The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old May 16, 2020, 10:12 AM   #1
Swifty Morgan

Crimson Trace on 10mm Glock Injures Hand

I had a Lasermax guide rod laser in my Glock 29, and it was not a great product. The slide lock moved around and could fall out, and the batteries had a very short life even though I almost never used the laser.

I replaced it with a Crimson Trace Lasergrip. I had one on a Glock 26, and it was wonderful.

The other day, I was shooting the Glock 29, and I noticed pain in my hand. The high 10mm recoil was swinging the gun more than a 9mm, and the projection on the rear of the Lasergrip was bruising the bones in my thumb.

The situation improved somewhat when I changed my grip, which was something I didn't want to do, but I still can't shoot a lot of rounds through the gun in one session.

There is no way to restrain the gun enough to prevent it from hitting my thumb.

Thought I'd let people know about the problem.

I am keeping the laser. A little bruising is better than doing without it.
Old May 16, 2020, 06:29 PM   #2
ms6852

Have you considered using a glove when practicing. I have to use one when I shoot my 686 with 3" barrel. After a couple of boxes my hand would hurt because the handle is almost to rounded like a birdshead grip and during recoil it would flip slightly into the web of my hand. The glove cured my problem allowing to shoot a couple of hundred rounds each session.

People claim that I won't have time to put on a glove if I need my firearm immediately but I think they are being stupid because in reality all I would need is what the gun holds and not 200 rounds. At the end of my training session I will shoot the last 7 rounds without a glove so my muscle memory knows what to expect and it is not a surprise should I never need to unholster my sidearm.
Old May 16, 2020, 08:26 PM   #3
Swifty Morgan

I guess you do the best you can with what you have.
Old May 16, 2020, 08:59 PM   #4
stephen426

I tried the LaserMax Guide Rod for my Glock 26. While I liked the concept of an integrated laser very close to the muzzle, the overall execution was horrible. Extending the take down lever made it almost impossible to find holsters. Even with a holster, you could accidentally activate the laser, leaving it dead. Having the laser so close to the muzzle also led to the clouding up of the laser lens after a few shots. Ideally, it is enough in a self defense situation, but I took it out of my Glock and reinstalled the regular take down lever.

I have the Crimson Trace Light Laser Trigger Guard unit on my Glock 43. It adds a little weight to the front and breaks up the outline some. The unit is activate by a small bump on the front of the grip, making it completely intuitive. It was located where accidental activation was minimal.

Sorry to hear that your laser hurts your hand. I'd say that having it is definitely worth it.