The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old March 30, 2002, 05:40 PM   #1
Tommytrauma

Communications heads up

I read today that the National Communications System has proposed a plan that would result in virtually all cell phone service being cut off for civilians in the event of a national emergency such as 9/11. Thought I'd share this, as I know many of us depend on our cell phones for emergency commo. Wife and I are developing alternate plans.
Personally, I htink this sucks the big one. As well as personal / family safety, I depend on my personal cell as a tool when I'm working as a paramedic.
Old March 31, 2002, 01:00 AM   #2
ProStreetChevelle

link?

Hey Tommy, do you have a link for the article you read?
Old March 31, 2002, 10:52 AM   #3
bubbaturbo

I just recently read this too but I can' remember where. I went to www.ncs.gov and clicked on wireless priority services under programs and projects. It seems to say that in the event of a national emergency, cellular services would be allocated based on a predetermined priority. Of course that might have prevented communications with the passengers on flight 93 so they might have crashed unknowingly into another building which was the concern of the author of the article I read. Wish I could remember where. Maybe the National Review site but I still can't find it.
Old March 31, 2002, 12:33 PM   #4
Edward429451

Very grim situation with no communications. So in a shtf senario what is the best way to go for communications?

1. Shortwave (Are these only available as base units? Handhelds? Vox?)

2. FM (Advantages? Disadvantages? vox?)

3. Sideband (Ditto)

4. HAM (Ditto)

What should a family get to ensure communications no matter what? Any pros cons and pricing and personal views or experiance would be appreciated.

Thanks, Edward.
Old March 31, 2002, 01:04 PM   #5
Tommytrauma

Erik, in regards to your question; I'd be glad to address medical issues within my scope, and have access to some great MDs for further input.

Wife and I are looking at 5 watt VHF handhelds to augment communications, since I can match those with some of my "work" frequencies as well. The practical problems appear to be keeping them charged without overcharging the batteries and having them available, as well as price. Don't know if they're going to be feasible. We've also decided on a primary meeting point (home), secondary (family’s about 5 miles away) and tertiary (distant family, about 50 miles away) meeting points in case we get separated. I know that sounds paranoid, but we had a small town here in WI that had to be completely evacuated a couple of years ago due to a haz mat train derailment. Thus the distant point. Anyone have more to offer?

Oh, I read the mention of this in Ayoob's 'Ayoob files' in the current American Handgunner. It was just a 1 paragraph mention.
Old April 1, 2002, 05:57 PM   #6
pdmoderator
Registration in progress

Around here (30 miles from Ground Zero), both the cell and landline networks folded within about one hour of SHTF. They stayed folded for most of the day. So the NCS system wouldn't have made a bit of difference.

For some odd reason, though, email stayed up enough to let me communicate with my SO.

- pdmoderator