The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old October 23, 2014, 03:35 AM   #1
Anaconda1492

DA trigger in LC9 in self defense.

I have an LC9 and I have shortened the trigger pull on my pistol. However, I noticed that if I go to the range and just pull the trigger, with out staging it, I can't hit a man sized target at 25 yards or even less. What I am worried about is does the DA trigger become an issue in self defense, since your nervous. Therefore, I wonder if I will have the conscious to stage the trigger. Perhaps, if you practice enough it will become natural and you will do it even if you are scared for your life.. It is something that makes me wonder though. When I stage the trigger it works fine, it is strange how just the trigger pull can make it have for all practical purposes zero accuracy. Any thoughts about this?
Old October 23, 2014, 04:46 AM   #2
AK103K

Sounds like you just need some more practice stroking the trigger.

I normally dont stage the trigger when I shoot DA, even at longer distances. I just focus on the sights and keeping them aligned as I stroke the trigger.

Dry fire is your friend. A little daily practice, and before you know it, you wont even be thinking about it.
Old October 23, 2014, 05:53 AM   #3
Snyper

Quote:
I can't hit a man sized target at 25 yards
Stop shooting at 25 yds

Start shooting at 5 yds

When you get so good at 5 yds you start to get bored, move it to 10 yds

Repeat the process until you get to the max distance where you can keep all your shots in a 6" or smaller group.
Old October 23, 2014, 08:40 AM   #4
kraigwy

My daughter carries a LC9. She asked me about her little bitty hands having problems pulling the heavy (sic) trigger pull causing her sights to wiggle all over the place.

I got her to quit "staging" and just use a quick smooth trigger pull.

Her shooting improved tremendously.

If you feel the need for "staging" get a single action pistol.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old October 24, 2014, 01:48 PM   #5
DaleA

Yes.

Pulling the trigger can definitely pull the gun off target.

Just a little wiggle where YOU are results in a LOT of movement at the target.

Like everyone else has said, practice, practice, practice and you'll get better. Concentrate on the sights while you're doing it, dry fire, at the range take a shot or two with no round in the chamber and watch you sights. Work at it and you WILL get better.
Old October 24, 2014, 02:40 PM   #6
Cheapshooter

Quote:
I can't hit a man sized target at 25 yards
If you hit a man @75 feet away you better have a very good, and expensive lawyer!
Practice at a more realistic SD distance. Something 10 yards or less.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old October 24, 2014, 03:28 PM   #7
AK103K

Quote:
If you hit a man @75 feet away you better have a very good, and expensive lawyer!
Practice at a more realistic SD distance. Something 10 yards or less.
I agree, you should really spend most of your practice closer in, but you still need to practice at the longer distances, so you can make reasonable hits at them, if the need should arise.

If you think 25 yards is a long shot, next time youre in your local market, pace off the length of an isle, or across the front of the store, and see what you come up with, I think youll be surprised at the distances you come up with.

If youre a reasonably proficient handgun shooter, you should really be able to put all your rounds on a man sized target at 50 yards.
Old October 24, 2014, 07:40 PM   #8
Shadi Khalil

I keep my EDC practice real close, around five yards. I think you should spend some time dry firing.
Old October 24, 2014, 08:01 PM   #9
Bill DeShivs

If you can hit a target at 25 yards, you can damn well hit it at 5 yards. Don't cheat yourself by only practicing up close.
Old October 24, 2014, 09:45 PM   #10

Maybe the answer is the LC9 S???
Old October 24, 2014, 11:15 PM   #11
Dragline45

Sounds like you need some practice, and don't stage the trigger. Your goal should be one smooth consistent trigger pull. Dry fire practice can be just as beneficial and in some cases more so than live fire practice. Pick a spot on the wall, dry fire the gun, and watch what the sights do in relation to dry firing. Eventually with enough practice you will notice those sights barely move at all when dry firing. Next time you go to the range you might be amazed at how much better you will be shooting.
Old October 25, 2014, 03:02 PM   #12
Anaconda1492

Sorry the target I was shooting at was actually closer to 10 yards. I am rifle shooter, so I am always thinking 25, 50, and 100 yards etc. Anyways, I will try stroking the trigger I must be flinching as I pull the trigger.

Last edited by Anaconda1492; October 25, 2014 at 03:22 PM.
Old October 25, 2014, 08:00 PM   #13
Snyper

Quote:
Sorry the target I was shooting at was actually closer to 10 yards.
Then start practicing at 4 yds, and try some different loads until you find one the gun really likes
Old October 25, 2014, 08:17 PM   #14
AK103K

I believe its more of a technique issue, than it is a load issue.

Dry fire until the sights dont move when the trigger breaks, and I think you'll see a major improvement when you next go to the range.
Old October 26, 2014, 02:10 AM   #15
jglsprings

Quote:
I have an LC9 and I have shortened the trigger pull on my pistol
I'm confused. What do you mean by "I have shortened the trigger pull"?

Have you modified the gun? Or are you talking about staging the trigger?

Commas save lives...
Old October 31, 2014, 08:06 PM   #16
Anaconda1492

The trigger bar and hammer were replaced. This gives the gun 30% less trigger travel if I remember correctly. I went out today and simply shoot the gun like a glock or any other semi auto, with out staging the trigger. It shoot fine 2 inch groups at 10 yards or so... Either, I really got used to the trigger or the shorter trigger pull helps. I do have a revolver and that teaches great trigger discipline, thanks guys.. No need for striker fire LC9 lol Did Ruger plan all this on purpose..

Last edited by Anaconda1492; October 31, 2014 at 08:18 PM.
Old November 2, 2014, 02:19 PM   #17
Ruark

When you're sitting in front of a grand jury wondering how you're going to pay $75,000 in legal bills and explaining why you had to shoot somebody75 feet away in self defense, the trigger pull will be the least of your worries.

Seriously, though, I think a LOT of people buy self defense guns and don't think about trigger pulls; I've pointed out the different between double action only (DAO), double/single, single, etc. to several people and they stared at me like I was explaining particle physics: utterly clueless.

In the crushing, paralyzing, suffocating stress of a face to face self defense situation, you won't be aware of your trigger pull, but a long double action pull can still throw your accuracy way off, for obvious reasons. It won't be that much of a factor at point blank range, but anywhere past 4 or 5 yards some DAO guns will require a ton of practice and feel to hit a target.

This is why I personally prefer a double/single gun like my SIG 2022. The long DA first shot acts as a safety, then subsequent shots are nice, crisp, SA pulls. Or, if I have a half second, I can just thumb the hammer back and the first shot's SA as well.
Old November 2, 2014, 03:50 PM   #18
manta49

I don't think you will notice how heavy or how long the trigger pull is if you need to use it. There is a lot of rubbish talked on this subject, a good trigger in a target pistol yes , on a service pistol adequate is fine IMO.