The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Forum Support > Site Questions and Tech Support (NO FIREARMS QUESTIONS)

Old July 9, 2007, 09:00 AM   #1
Derek Zeanah

7-9-07 THR outage

THR is out right now. We had a 10 minute DOS attack earlier, and another piped up later in the morning.

The interesting thing about this attack is that both attacks were preceeded by a telephone call where the caller spoofed the caller ID (it registered as Hillary Clinton's campaign headquarters) and had a modulated voice. It looks like it was simply spoofcard.com, though they won't give any information without a request from law enforcement.

The good news is any contact from law enforcement is good enough - they don't actually require a subpoena. I've talked with my telephone company and apparently I'll need to go through legal before we get more information on the call logs other than the fake caller ID information, but there we go. I'm working through that process now.

If any LE types here want to help out you're welcome to contact me via my gmail address ([email protected]); my wife knows a couple of local detectives around here that we can use but odds are they're fairly busy today.

Also, it's likely time we get the FBI involved in this. If you've worked through that particular process and feel like you can step me through it and save some of the headaches, I'd appreciate a heads-up.

Sorry for the inconvenience and down-time associated with this.

"An elective despotism was not the government we fought for."
--Thomas Jefferson
Old July 9, 2007, 09:10 AM   #2
tydephan

Quote:
The interesting thing about this attack is that both attacks were preceeded by a telephone call where the caller spoofed the caller ID (it registered as Hillary Clinton's campaign headquarters) and had a modulated voice. It looks like it was simply spoofcard.com, though they won't give any information without a request from law enforcement.
Interesting indeed.
Old July 9, 2007, 09:19 AM   #3
Derek Zeanah

I'll need to fill out some paperwork before I can get the detailed information I'm looking for from my telephone company, which will likely be tomorrow (my contact person is apparently in court today).

Just thought I'd post the update.

--Thomas Jefferson
Old July 9, 2007, 09:24 AM   #4
Derek Zeanah

Looks like we're back up again.

Bandwidth graph attached.

Attached Images
File Type: gif 7-9-07-morning-dos.gif (20.0 KB, 201 views)

--Thomas Jefferson
Old August 2, 2007, 05:14 PM   #5
TheDingy

I hope that you can get some help with your DDOS attacks, how large were they? We have a very large forum hosted on our network that gets DDOS attacks from KNOW sources and even with friends that are in the FBI they will not work with them to prosecute unless you have some major financial losses that you can prove. You need to get some good protection put into place. Email me at [email protected]