The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old September 8, 2021, 03:29 PM   #1
Lhigginsqrb

Beware gunbroker website

I ordered about $2000 worth of stuff from GunBroker recently. I’ve received the items so no complaints there. One of the sellers said I didn’t pay him for a $40 order and they banned my account. I’ve disputed it. I paid him and he sent me the stuff.

The issue I have with the website is that their customer service is garbage and fully automated. Right now because of the ban I can’t even view my order history to verify that all the items I bought have been shipped to me. I happen to remember everything very well but I see no reason for the website to block my order history.

In conclusion I wont be buying anything else from them and I advise caution to anyone considering using them.
Old September 8, 2021, 04:29 PM   #2
nhyrum

I absolutely despise GunBroker. Had a similar issue. They even removed my negative feedback of the jerk. If how they treated me made sure I never went back, the fact they removed negative feedback was a huge red flag

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
Old September 8, 2021, 05:09 PM   #3
ligonierbill

I have over 100 transactions buying and selling on Gunbroker. Other than a couple strained communications, all resolved, I never had a problem. There is always some risk in dealing online, but Gunbroker is a good resource.
Old September 8, 2021, 06:29 PM   #4
Kevin Rohrer

I have used it repeatedly w/o a problem. YMMV.

Caveat Emptor: Cavery Grips/AmericanGripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He is a scammer
Old September 8, 2021, 07:07 PM   #5
eflyguy

Always reminds me of Paypal. No shortage of complaints, but also no shortage of satisfied users if you ask.
Old September 8, 2021, 07:29 PM   #6
sako2

I've bought a lot of stuff on gunbroker. Never had a problem. If you have the invoice email them a copy.
Old September 8, 2021, 09:53 PM   #7
higgite

Quote:
In conclusion I wont be buying anything else from them and I advise caution to anyone considering using them.
I wish that would have been your opening sentence. Would have saved me some reading.
Old September 9, 2021, 06:42 AM   #8
drobs

Never had a problem with gunbroker.

It's not like they just ban you on a whim. What exactly did you do? Not pay? Be honest.
Old September 9, 2021, 07:51 AM   #9
pfan

Always bought from the highest rated sellers, never had an issue

But of course there are scam artists everywhere.

I not only look for the highest rated sellers, but those who have a storefront also, you can also check their FB page reviews.

Bought a nickle plated Model 10 once, looked great until I took off the grips the entire grip frame was covered in rust and actually breaking away in pieces

It was well covered by the oversized grips. the seller was very reasonable. I doubt they had the time to inspect the gun probably a trade in
Old September 9, 2021, 09:38 AM   #10
jackstrawIII

Quote:
I have over 100 transactions buying and selling on Gunbroker. Other than a couple strained communications, all resolved, I never had a problem. There is always some risk in dealing online, but Gunbroker is a good resource.
Same here. GB is my go-to... and has been for many years.
Old September 9, 2021, 12:03 PM   #11
IMtheNRA

For those of you guys who say you never had a problem. Be patient and just wait until you have a problem. After that, please update your response with your satisfaction with gunbrokers customer service department.
Old September 9, 2021, 12:57 PM   #12
Lhigginsqrb

Definitely agree with imthenra. My post says specifically my issue is their crappy customer service.
Old September 9, 2021, 07:39 PM   #13
higgite

Quote:
For those of you guys who say you never had a problem. Be patient and just wait until you have a problem. After that, please update your response with your satisfaction with gunbrokers customer service department.
I've been patient for 8+ years. Still waiting to have a problem. I'll be sure to let you know when I do.

Moderators, is this thread in the wrong forum? It really has nothing to do with reloading. Do we have a vendor complaint forum?
Old September 10, 2021, 07:37 AM   #14
gaseousclay

Only ordered from GB once and no problem here. But, I’ll only order from an FFL dealer with spotless feedback
Old September 10, 2021, 01:03 PM   #15
Skans

I have used gunbroker many times over the years to buy firearms. Never had a problem. I'm glad that we have gunbroker. Because, it's been decades since you could buy firearms on Ebay.

When someone comes up with a better alternative to Gunborker, then I'll consider using it.
Old September 13, 2021, 11:31 AM   #16
5whiskey

I’ve used GB off and on since 2010 or so. I’ve bought and sold numerous things, including firearms, ammo, and accessories. I’ve never had an issue with GB. I’m with Skans. I’m glad we have GB. Enjoy it before big tech refuses to sell server space to them.

https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=593946
Old September 14, 2021, 03:24 PM   #17
stinkeypete

I always talk on the telephone to people before buying. My stuff I sell is always better than described and shown. I’ve met some good people.

If anyone sounds the least bit shady after a 15 minute chat, I walk away. I don’t need trouble. I am not selling or buying but every few years, I am not a dealer.
Old September 15, 2021, 11:44 AM   #18
Unclenick
Staff

Just a heads-up on one scam you need to be aware of if you talk on the phone with a seller: A lot of folks selling in the Facebook Marketplace or other online buy/sell/trade forums, say they will have a seller or a buyer who claims to want to confirm they are real, and ask for their cell phone number. Then, they say, because there is so much phone number forging, they want to message a code to you and for you to read them that code over the phone.

DO NOT GIVE THEM THE CODE!

What they have actually done is apply for a Google phone number using your cell phone. The code is actually coming from Google to verify you are who you say you are. It is not coming from the caller. If you give the code to the caller, they then use it to authenticate themselves to Google as being you. Google then gives them the new phone number that is in your name. They use that number for various scams, but because it is linked to you, they cannot be traced to it.

This scam has exploded apparently in response to people signing on to the new FCC STIR/SHAKEN caller ID authentication system to help block Robocallers and others using forged caller IDs. So the scammers have to get their hands on real phone numbers with a real person's caller ID that is authenticated by the system. They want to stay hidden, so they impersonate you while they run their scam, and when the person they are scamming reports the number, if anyone gets into trouble it is you.

One characteristic reported repeatedly is that these callers get incensed and belligerent when you refuse to give them the code. I guess that must work with some people. It may also be true only of some individuals running the scam, but there seems to be a network (perhaps on the Dark Web?) of uniform system training for scammers, which is why you see so many beggars using the exact same approach. Anyway, stay safe out there.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old September 15, 2021, 02:06 PM   #19
eflyguy

The Google Voice scam has been going on since at least 2017. Was common on Craigslist and they have warnings on their site. The scammers just keep spreading their reach..
Old September 15, 2021, 04:54 PM   #20
2wheelwander

Used GB several times. nly issue was getting sucked into the bidding clock getting reset 15 minutes when a higher bid comes in and the clock extends. That one cost me. No resolve despite my complaints. Lived and learned.

Outside of that no complaints. Bought new, hard to find guns for less than I could've bought locally - or they could't even get them. Watch the fees, be patient, good deal to be had.

I agree, seems more to the story that the OP left out.
Old September 15, 2021, 05:02 PM   #21
Ricklin

Years ago, no issues to report for a very long time. Early days were kinda wild and wooly. I waste way too much time there, some really great firearm photos and dream about guns like best English doubles....drool.
Old September 15, 2021, 05:57 PM   #22
Hawg

I bought a lot of guns from them in the past but didn't buy any for 10 years or so. I have never not paid for anything. A few months ago they had a gun I was interested in and I tried to put it on my watch list. They said my account was disabled because I owed some kind of fee but my account showed everything paid and nothing owed. I tried to update my card information and couldn't even do that.
Old September 15, 2021, 06:19 PM   #23
BornFighting88

Can't say I have had a bad experience with their customer service, bud. Had a lame buyer bid and win on something I listed, then never paid, and never replied to my messages after the auction ended. Communication was spot on during the auction. But guess it was just some dumb jerk trying to tie up my time. Didn't matter if they got negative feedback to them, I guess. But after 10 days of nothing from the lame duck, I immediately reached out to GB customer service. It was all emails and automated, like OP said, but they weren't lazy about it at all!!

The day I submitted the claim, they reached back out and said they were on the case! They reached out to the buyer but didn't hear a response after five days. GB refunded my listing costs, even relisted it for me hassle-free. Didn't have to lift a finger, pretty awesome. Ironic part about it was that the lame duck had 0 feedback score, but I wasn't picky of who bid on my stuff. Everyone has to start somewhere, right?? I also am not aware of a way to retract a bid from a 0 feedback newbie. I guess I could have put a thing in the listing saying something along the lines of "No feedback?? Contact me first." Oh well, live and learn.

Item sold a few days later, that buyer was "Johnny on the spot" with payment.

I do have to admit, I am on board with the "only buying from FFL with storefront" line.
Old September 27, 2021, 11:44 AM   #24
Andy Blozinski

"bidding clock getting reset 15 minutes when a higher bid comes in and the clock extends."

This is one of the aspects of Gunbroker I find very positive. EBay has problems with what is called "sniping" bids. Some people have bots come in 30 seconds before time is up and autmatically ratchet up a bid to a few cents more than yours. That doesn't work on Gunbroker because every time a bid wins inside of the last 15 minutes, the bidding gets extended to 15 to prevent "sniping". You at least get a chance to see what happened and consider re-bidding if you're watching an important auction near the end.
Old September 28, 2021, 08:14 AM   #25
gaseousclay

Quote:
EBay has problems with what is called "sniping" bids. Some people have bots come in 30 seconds before time is up and autmatically ratchet up a bid to a few cents more than yours
That's not how sniping works. If Bidder A places a $100 bid on an auction and Bidder B places a $200 bid through a snipe app he outbid the other bidder regardless. People use sniping apps because they don't have time to sit and watch auctions all day, so they input their max bid and call it a day.