The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting > Bullet Casting

Old September 3, 2020, 11:31 PM   #1
5whiskey

Perfect powder coating...

Is not required. I definitely tested that theory today. I’ve been gone over a year and shot up all of my supply carrying my kids to the range before I left. Been back a few weeks and had to make some ammo for a range trip. Casting was kind of easy to get back into the swing of things. A little frosted from a hot mold but that won’t hurt anything. PC just wasn’t working out for me at all. The static cling coating method was not working out at all. So I tried heating the bullets. I had tried this before and it turned out a hot mess. It did turn out a lot better this time. I had a couple of batches I heated up too hot. One stuck instantly, the other didn’t stick but the PC was gobbed too thick. Some batches were coated unevenly. The last few batches actually started to look decent once I figured out how to shake the excess PC off before baking.

In all, the lot still looked rough but useable in a pinch. Some were coated uneven, while a few were too thick. But I went with it and loaded them Up today. Off to the range I went today... lo and behold I had zero leading and passable accuracy. No leading after about 400 rounds through 2 firearms. I’m afraid to define accuracy until I get glasses that correct astigmatism, but 3-4” groups (offhand, firing kind of quickly) at 15 yards is decent. At least considering the trouble I have seeing the front sight post these days

Sure, the goal is to strive for quality work. I hated loading these things but it was either load them or not go to the range the day my son had off as there is no 9mm available anywhere. Long story short, don’t be so quick to cull a batch for not being pretty.

https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=593946
Old September 4, 2020, 07:59 PM   #2
big al hunter

Good to know they don't need to be pretty. What powder and what container did you shake them in?
Old September 5, 2020, 03:30 AM   #3
Dead-Nuts-Zero

When I started powder coating I used very little powder with fair results. Eventually I guess I became careless & dumped in more powder than needed & the baked quality was not as good. Shaking off excess does help. Also noticed some powders work better than others.
My first few casting sessions I sorted my wad cutters, and always had a huge pile of rejects. Talked to an old guy who cast for years & he told me not to worry about the bad lookers (for pistol plinking), just load up & shoot them. He was right, as I didn't notice any difference in performance. However I still remelt a few, but not many. And I like pretty too, but ugly works.
Old September 5, 2020, 11:13 PM   #4
5whiskey

Quote:
And I like pretty too, but ugly works.
That’s my thing I’m not advocating being sloppy on purpose. I like to do things the right way. But, if someone is having problems and obsesses over how good is “good enough” I can attest that knarly looking bullets can be quite serviceable for plinking.

The one issue I did have is I had to seat them pretty deep to get them to chamber reliably. Deep enough that max loads would likely be over pressure, so I backed off a bit. I understood the risk of what I was doing but I must say my 9mm was probably still in +p territory. Since obviously the thicker coated bullets were the ones that gave more trouble chambering I would say slightly too thin and uneven is better than too thick.

Quote:
What powder and what container did you shake them in?
HF red and a Tupperware container that I made sure was no 5. Used plastic BBs to no avail despite good success last time I used that same container, powder, BBS, and method. Like I said I had a difficult time cobbling together a screen that held the 9mm but would allow the BBS to pass through with what I had on hand at the time, so perfect static cling coverage would have really been moot.

I’m not an advocate of casting or reloading sloppily or willy nilly. My only point is everything doesn’t always have to be perfect. Sometimes things can be quite ugly but still serviceable, as long as you take steps to know you’re in a safe pressure range at all times.

https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=593946
Old November 23, 2020, 09:08 AM   #5
Gamsek

https://www.mp-molds.com/tipstricks/...ble-dt-method/

For perfect results use proper (tested) PC and few simple tricks....
Old November 25, 2020, 07:37 PM   #6
BJung

Pretty is nice to look at and touch.. Ugly works.

I didn't have luck with the flat black Harbor Freight powder paint. Other brands work better.

To improve my coating, I put pieces of styrofoam cup material to shake with the bullets.