The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old October 11, 2021, 08:43 AM   #26
taylorce1

Richard's stocks need probably 5X the work of Boyd's Stocks. Plus if you get the laminate stocks they are very hard on any cutting edge. You'll have to install your own cross bolts if you want as they aren't even an option that I know of.
Old October 11, 2021, 01:28 PM   #27
stagpanther

thank you Taylor.
Old October 11, 2021, 10:44 PM   #28
Colorado Redneck

I've had three Boyd's and five Microfits. Boyds are way easier...no sanding and finishing. One that went on a Savage took a couple hours of fiddling and sanding the inletting to make it fit. The other two were just a few minutes and bolted right on. Richards....the last two were inletted marvelously...just opened up the barrel channel which consumes a couple hours. One fits like it is glass bedded, amazing in my opinion. The others needed more fitting and caused some brain damage. It seems recently the quality is really a lot better than the earlier versions, like they got a better CNC machine. One they sent me maybe 6 years ago had to be returned. Wood was poor quality, and the inletting was screwed up so bad there was no way to make it work. The exterior of the Richard's Stocks require determination + hours of elbow grease + sandpaper. But the end product is usually very satisfying.
Old October 12, 2021, 10:45 AM   #29
kmw1954

I am in the process of restocking two Savages. One is a Model 10 Blind Mag, stagger feed, top bolt release. The original stock was wood and I am now on my second Boyds stock on this one.

The first stock was a Boyds Thumbhole Varminter and I did not care for the why the Thumbhole fit so I removed it. The second stock is a Boyds Spike Camp and I like the way this stock fits me much more.

The Thumbhole stock screwed right on and shot very well. The Spike Camp did not screw right on and shot like crap. After epoxy bedding the receiver it now shoots just fine.

The second gun is a Savage Model 11 DBM, Bottom Bolt release and the stock for this one is a Richards Microfit Field Trekker.

This stock arrived 3 weeks earlier than was expected or promised and arrived in much nicer condition than I was ever expecting after reading comments from many members of different forums.

This was supposed to be a "snap fit" inletting but the barreled receiver nor the bottom metal and trigger guard would fit directly into it.

My best guess because I did not time it was about 1.5hrs. with a Dremel with a sanding disk, going very slowly and constantly checking, and I had all parts well fitted into the stock. Honestly I did not have to remove much material to get it to all fit.

The rest of the stock is not as rough as I was expecting it to be and at this point I feel I could screw it together and go fire it, just for effect of course. I also have to point out that there is plenty of extra material in this stock that I can sand and shape it to fit me.
Especially in the grip area as I have smaller hands and the cheek riser fits me perfectly.

Lastly this stock was ordered as an Economy grade Claro Walnut and there is just one small defect in the butt that will not effect anything and this also shows some nice grain.
Old October 12, 2021, 05:30 PM   #30
Colorado Redneck

The Richards Stock for a Tikka arrived today. Here are a few pictures that illustrate how the wood is cut. Some won't care for the laminate color, and thats part of the point to get a rather distinctive hunk of wood that I like.

The exterior is about like the last two units they sent me. The inletting isn't finished by a loooong ways, but the action and barrel fit in with about 5 minutes of scraping rough spots. The barrel channel will have to be opened up. I didn't tighten the action screws, just got them started to hold it together. (On a side note, the recoil lug on that Tikka is about the cheesiest most unhandy damn thing I've seen on a centerfire rifle. Like a scrabble tile.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 222 tikka 6.jpg (80.1 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg 222 tikka 2.jpg (120.6 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg 222 tikka 4.jpg (166.9 KB, 19 views)
Old October 12, 2021, 05:33 PM   #31
Colorado Redneck

more pictures

2 more for your viewing pleasure
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 222 tikka 1.jpg (164.8 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg 222 tikka 3.jpg (137.2 KB, 16 views)
Old October 12, 2021, 05:56 PM   #32
kmw1954

Thanks for the pix's I really like it! Even the color. Is that the Dual Grip Thumbhole?
Old October 12, 2021, 08:51 PM   #33
Colorado Redneck

Appreciate the nice words...its a "Wolverine Thumbhole" Probably will take months to get it finished. It's a winter diversion from eating myself to death...
Old October 12, 2021, 09:50 PM   #34
stagpanther

That's a cool looking set-up CR. I have laminates by several different manufacturers--far and away the best finishing I've ever seen for CNC stocks are on the Keystone Revolution stock. I recently got a CNC router and have given some thought to trying a stock--maybe one day. My knowledge is still rudimentary, but when I see rough finishes I figure it's because the router is being optimized for the fastest production time output--which generally is a bigger bit going faster digging and as few passes as possible; to get it really smooth either much finer and slower tool paths must be used or dedicated sanders would be used for finishing I would think. Same with inlets, deep cuts require a digging bit that can leave a sharp 90 degree angle, but I'm guessing the bit is expelling the chipload up and why I often find rough chip flash at the top of some cuts.
Old October 12, 2021, 11:04 PM   #35
Colorado Redneck

Northland Shooters had laminate stocks for Savage model 12 that fit on a gun I have. It very much looks like a stock that Savage mounted on a stainless 22-250. I am pretty sure it is a Keystone stock. It fits perfectly, looks great, is finished very nicely.
Old October 13, 2021, 08:44 AM   #36
std7mag

Years ago, when i was a young lad in my early 30s, i decided to refinish the wood stock on my Savage 110.
Stripper & a tooth brush took off the "paint" they use for a stain.
Shortened LOP by 1/2" with some blocks screwed to the railing of my deck & a Skill saw.
Drilled out the buttstock & glued in a mercury recoil reducer.

I was really surprised at the lines in the wood after stripping the factory "stain" off!

I had heard about a technique for bringing out the lines more with heat from a propane torch.
WOW!
Took a nice piece of wood & really made it stand out!
Stained a white maple, if i remember correctly.
Followed by 2 coates of matt poly eurothane.

"Januarary 6th insurrection".
Funny, I didn't see a single piece of rope...
Old October 13, 2021, 11:28 AM   #37
Colorado Redneck

Cutting a stock for a new pad has been a bit more than I want to attempt, mainly due to only having a circular saw and a jig saw. From your posts it sounds like you like a challenge and are adept at doing new things. I envy that.
Old October 18, 2021, 01:24 PM   #38
ligonierbill

I got the Richards Microfit sanded and will start checkering today. The thing with these (this is my third) is tool marks. I forgot how frustrating it can be, ready to go to the fine paper, and, yep, there's another scuff. I think I finally have this one, though. What I still like about Richards is their huge selection and nice wood. This myrtle is going to look nice with a light stain and a Tru Oil finish.
Old October 18, 2021, 02:27 PM   #39
kmw1954

ligonierbill, sure would be nice to see some pictures of your work. I am currently working on a Richards Microfit Field Trekker for a Savage action.

If you would like to PM I could give contact and we could exchange pictures.
Old October 18, 2021, 03:49 PM   #40
ligonierbill

Here is the stock preliminarily sanded.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Myrtle stock.jpg (78.0 KB, 25 views)
Old October 19, 2021, 08:19 AM   #41
std7mag

Looks nice, Bill!

Try heating it, (not burning) with a propane torch. Really brings out the lines in the wood!

Of course if you don't like the results, your sanding it again. Lol

I'm still waiting on my stock builder for my bench rest rifle.

Waiting to see what it looks like before i decide on stain, or paint.

After playing with the Rifle Basix trigger, i finally got the pull down to a consistant 8 ounces with the safety still functioning properly.

"Januarary 6th insurrection".
Funny, I didn't see a single piece of rope...

Last edited by std7mag; October 19, 2021 at 08:25 AM.
Old October 19, 2021, 08:56 AM   #42
kmw1954

Very nice, now which stock is that?

The Field Trekker looks very similar to the Wolverine that Colorado Redneck posted. Only it is not a thumbhole design.
Old October 19, 2021, 09:07 AM   #43
ligonierbill

I have a bottle of aqua fortis that I planned to use on the maple flintlock I've been working forever. That's one of the old ways: acid wash and warm it up. I need to think about that. Right now, I dug out my checking tools and am reviewing technique. I have an old "try" stock that I practiced on the last time, and I will do it again before I take a cutter to this one. I've only checkered one stock, and it worked fine, but it's very time consuming for an amateur. Maybe I'll just "whisker" it and hit it with the stain. Then she'll be ready for deer season, and I can get back to my Chambers militia musket on my other bench.

PS: It's the "Modern Classic" on Richards list.
Old October 19, 2021, 11:34 AM   #44
stagpanther

That is gorgeous Bill--please post pics as you go--I'm especially interested in your hand-chequering. I too love the lighter toned woods--I adore a high grade yellow maple in particular.
Old October 21, 2021, 06:52 AM   #45
ligonierbill

OK, done (for this season at least). I used a Laurel Mountain walnut stain and TRU Oil finish. Yes, I wimped out on the checkering, maybe a winter project. Fit on this Richards "Microfit" was pretty good, but you'll be sanding tool marks for a long time. Myrtle as a stock material: This was not a fancy piece. It does have some figure, but not a lot. Pretty easy to work with. Sands well and where wood removal is needed, a sharp chisel makes easy work of it. (I did not have to remove much.) I have now done three of these Richards stocks: one each in claro walnut, maple, and now myrtle. If I do another, and I would buy another (sanding is good for me), I would spring for a fancier grade of American (not claro) walnut. But this one is going hunting.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Myrtle 4.jpg (64.5 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg Myrtle 1.jpg (61.1 KB, 11 views)
Old October 21, 2021, 09:49 AM   #46
stagpanther

Your rifle--but I would have bypassed the walnut stain to keep the natural beauty of the wood. But you need to get her out in the woods--I get it.
Old October 21, 2021, 10:17 AM   #47
Maxwell Haus

Great looking rifle, you did a fine job . I really like how your stain blends with the caps . The whole package is a nice combo, not flashy but very classy .
Old October 21, 2021, 12:12 PM   #48
ligonierbill

Thanks for the comments. If I ever do a myrtle stock again, I will order a higher grade with more figure. Maybe pass on the stain altogether. As it is, I like this one, and I will probably use some winter downtime to checker it. Right now, I have a Chambers Militia Musket (10 ga.) to get back to, and I do want to take the 250-3000 hunting this year.

I took the rig to the range today with some 100 gr. Remington CoreLokt over Re-15. The scope is a "vintage" Redfield 3-9X, and it seemed off on the adjustments I dialed in. Finally, being close to where I wanted, I just ran 5 downrange, and they landed in about an inch. I have a newer Leupold 6X fixed that I might try. FWIW, my African PH recommended I set my variable on 6, and that worked fine for me.
Old October 21, 2021, 01:06 PM   #49
Maxwell Haus

I think you made the right choice by staining it , the myrtle did not have enough figure for my eyes . I like light colored stocks as long as they have some contrast in the wood . My favorite rifle sports a birdseye maple stock by Bishop done many years ago .

Sound like you will have no problems dialing it in from your initial results . Congrats.
Old October 21, 2021, 03:46 PM   #50
Scorch

Not so sure I would have stained it, the beauty of myrtlewood is in its lightness and grain. That said, a very light stain to accent the figure usually works nicely. Like this. AAA myrtlewood from Richards, Mark X Mauser 98 action, 22-250, 28" barrel