The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old October 4, 2021, 07:35 PM   #1
horseman308

Shipping estimate on revolvers?

I'm trying to sell a couple Vaqueros but no bites locally. I've never sold pistols across forums sales. Who do y’all recommend for a shipping courier and what kind of terms do you typically set with a buyer?

UPS seems to only do handgun via overnight, so that seems to be a $100+ shipping fee. FedEx seems less expensive, but I have heard mixed reviews on their reliability, even before the current delays. Do buyers actually go for that much in shipping?
Old October 4, 2021, 09:29 PM   #2
laytonj1

It can be cheaper to go thru an FFL as they can ship USPS. My FFL charges $25 for the transfer + 15 for a medium flat rate box + 5 for adult signature + insurance (~ $16 for $1K of insurance) = $61.
First find an FFL that will do outbound transfers, has a reasonable rate and uses the post office. Most handguns with case will fit in a medium flat rate box.

Jim
Old October 5, 2021, 02:28 AM   #3
horseman308

I didn't know FFL's could ship pistols through USPS. I'll check with a couple near me. Thanks!
Old October 5, 2021, 05:50 AM   #4
BornFighting88

They have some exclusive deal with the USPS. Lightning fast, too. They don’t want firearms in the pipeline for too long. For known reasons.

Some, if you are shipping back to manufacturer for repairs or warranty work, choose FedEx. Walther is a fan of FedEx, as when I sent my P99 back for warranty repair, that is who they told me to use. As for FFL’s, yeah they have a thing with the USPS.

$61 for a transfer??!! Jeez bud, that sounds like what I went through when I wanted to ship a pistol through a “Hoity toity” gun shop near me. They wanted $75 to ship a gun and $100 for a dealer to dealer transfer (online buy). I about had a conniption on the spot. NO WHERE in my great state of Pennsylvania have I ever had to shell out more than $35 for either a transfer or shipping. Except that ivory tower.
Old October 5, 2021, 08:47 AM   #5
FITASC

It is not an exclusive deal, it is Federal law that allows a FFL to use the USPS. Regular folks must use a different courier like UPS or Fedex and they demand overnight so their employees do not steal them. It is cheaper (typically) to find a FFL who uses USPS
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old October 5, 2021, 01:20 PM   #6
jmr40

Quote:
It is not an exclusive deal, it is Federal law that allows a FFL to use the USPS.
Just to add, anyone can mail a long gun using USPS. It is only a requirement that FFL's can mail handguns.

Winston Churchill
Old October 5, 2021, 07:34 PM   #7
KEYBEAR

My local Dealer (FFL) ships my guns that i have sold or sent out for a gunsmith . Before the internet i sold a firearm to a person and shipping was UPS at the time (1984) . The buyer called two weeks later asking about the firearm (a shot gun) . I called UPS and the shipment was not found . I sent the buyer the money back and got on UPS gave them all the info and a month later i got most of my cost back . UPS tracked the firearm down two people that loaded the trucks at the hub took the shot gun and may still be in jail . I never seen the Shot Gun again ..
Old October 5, 2021, 10:25 PM   #8
FITASC

Back in the early 90s I worked a summer at a UPS sort center for some extra cash (teachers don't make much). Having previously having a FFL, I recognized a lot of names coming through the center - RSR, Ron Shirk, Davidson's and on and on. Everyone had to enter and exit through a guard center where any lunchbox had to be opened, etc. The only way things were getting stolen was AFTER it left the sort center
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old October 6, 2021, 04:54 PM   #9
dogtown tom

Be aware that FedEx recently updated its service terms and no longer accepts ANY firearm shipment except for FFL's registered through their shipping program.

Not all FedEx webpages are updated but here's the service guide:
https://www.fedex.com/content/dam/fe...Guide_2021.pdf
New firearm shipping policy on page 125.
Quote:
Firearms
Only customers holding a Federal Firearms License (FFL) and federal, state, or local
government agencies may ship firearms with FedEx. Customers holding an FFL must enter
into an approved FedEx Firearms Shipping Compliance Agreement before shipping any
firearms with FedEx. For more information, contact your FedEx account executive.
On behalf of customers holding an FFL who enter into an approved FedEx Firearms
Shipping Compliance Agreement and federal, state, or local government agencies, FedEx
Express will transport and deliver firearms, antique firearms, and replica firearms, all as
defined by the United States Gun Control Act of 1968, as well as muzzleloaders and black
powder firearms (collectively “firearms”). Shipments containing firearms must be sent with
the Adult Signature Required Delivery Signature Option.
FedEx Express will transport ammunition when packed and labeled in compliance
with local, state and federal law, and the Dangerous Goods section of this Service Guide.
Ammunition is an explosive and must be shipped separately as dangerous goods. You
agree not to ship loaded firearms or firearms with ammunition in the same package.

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE
Old October 6, 2021, 05:50 PM   #10
Shadow9mm

Last time I shipped a handgun, I did it through my ffl. I think it cost me $45. But that was about 2 years ago. I would go through a ffl.
Old October 7, 2021, 12:36 AM   #11
kenny53

I agree with shipping any gun through a FFL. I had to send a Marlin lever action back to the manufacture and I went with a local FFL. When all was said and done I paid $37.50 in shipping.
Old October 16, 2021, 05:52 PM   #12
cjwils

As I understand it, the problem with using your local FFL to send your gun to another FFL for repair or service, is that your local FFL is required to treat that as a transfer. And when it comes back, that is another transfer. That causes legal problems and extra fees in some states. Or have I misunderstood something? I am pretty sure that when I did this several years ago, I had to go through a formal transfer process to get my own gun back.
Old October 17, 2021, 05:57 PM   #13
dogtown tom

Quote:
cjwils As I understand it, the problem with using your local FFL to send your gun to another FFL for repair or service, is that your local FFL is required to treat that as a transfer.
I don't know how that's a "problem"....it's a transfer of possession. Doesn't matter if its:
Owner>FFL/Gunsmith> back to owner, no 4473 required by federal law.
Or
Owner>his local FFL> FFL/Gunsmith>back to local FFL> to owner, no 4473 required by federal law.

Both circumstances are identical as far as the owner is concerned. The recordkeeping requirements are the same for both licensees.

It's possible your state may be more restrictive than federal law.

Quote:
And when it comes back, that is another transfer. That causes legal problems and extra fees in some states.
Not sure how it causes "legal problems" in any state. If your local dealer is charging an outbound "transfer fee" AND a second "transfer fee" when its returned......you need a better dealer.

Quote:
Or have I misunderstood something? I am pretty sure that when I did this several years ago, I had to go through a formal transfer process to get my own gun back.
Only if your state has additional requirements beyond federal law.

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE
Old October 18, 2021, 10:58 AM   #14
KEYBEAR

We have a lot of FFL,S in the county i live in none sell firearms only do Transfers . Most FFL holders will do a Transfer for 15/20 dollars . I always ship with my local FFL it is a bunch cheaper and a transfer is never done but a transfer if i am selling is done on the buyers end only .