The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old June 22, 2021, 09:09 PM   #1
GJeffB

Caldwell Chronograph Customer Servise

Could be General, rifles, reloading, mods feel free to move as appropriate

OK, after the many months I've detailed a customer service disaster with a rifle importer/seller. That was the bad/ugly.

NOW the good, fair is fair. x-posted
Around early January 2021 I ordered a Caldwell [basic] chronograph from Amazon, it was delivered Jan 13. This is cold weather Colorado mountains, so I didn't crack it open and test until early June. It functioned *mostly* as described, but it simply wouldn't connect to my Samsung Galaxy J7 phone as advertised. That means no access to all the statistics, ES, ED, saved strings, ft/lbs energy etc. The Caldwell website shows a kinda "too bad unless you purchased directly from us." oh well. I took a shot at customer service, making it clear I bought from a 3rd party vendor. I got a quick response June 11 with general trouble shooting recommendations. Nice. For the next 10-ish days Caldwell Customer Service and I corresponded. The CS Rep [Josh] sent me 2 new cables - a new audio jack to the phone and a USB to the phone. Zero, zip, nada, just not connecting to the phone. Their response? "I'm sending you a new chronograph, let me know if it works as it could be the phone." Seriously?? What happened to "you're on you're own if you bought elsewhere?"

Long story short: I decided to try a different, older O/S phone. Lo and behold, the connection worked!! Why it didn't with a newer phone, I don't know or care. I'll take the oldie and dedicate it to the chronograph connection. I'll test for certain later this week.

The point: After fist fighting over a brand new rifle (see elsewhere), I was prepared for a "so sad, too bad response." Instead I received prompt, continuous suggestions and support, no arguments, and an offer to immediately replace the unit *That's how it's done, son*

Caldwell is a fine business, and based on this interaction, I fully recommend, as full throatedly as I denigrated a gun importer. Well done Caldwell

-jeff, equal opportunity reviewer
Old June 23, 2021, 08:03 AM   #2
ghbucky

Nice!
Old June 23, 2021, 03:49 PM   #3
seanc

Good to hear and it helps to make sure we praise the good companies and not just complain about the bad.

I have the same basic Caldwell. It worked with my older Galaxy S9, I now have an S21 which doesn't have the audio port, so I'm not sure how it's going to work with it going forward. I have an old S6 that should still work. I guess I'll have to figure that out some time in the future when I have time.
Old June 23, 2021, 06:29 PM   #4
GJeffB

seanc, you can tell by my post that I'm faaaar from a techie. But just as suggestion:
Caldwell sent me 2 new cords. 1 was the plug to audio jack. The second was a usb (there's a port next to the audio jack on the chrono) to micro usb that plugs into the charger port of my phone. Lacking the audio port on the phone, you might try that.

-jb, sounding like he knows stuff
Old June 23, 2021, 07:49 PM   #5
Shadow9mm

Great company. My bag ripped and I lost a sun shade rod. I fixed tge bag and they shipped me a new rod
Old May 4, 2022, 01:00 PM   #6
JKP

I discovered the problem getting the Caldwell cronograph app to work on my Galaxy S9 was mechanical. The hole in my phone case where the cord plugs in was slightly too small. It felt like it was plugged in but wouldn't connect until I removed the case. It works fine now.
Old May 5, 2022, 10:10 AM   #7
Shadow9mm

I have a similar issue, I kind of have to pop my case open to get the cord to fit. otherwise works great. Its been shot 2 times and its still running as long as I keep fresh batteries in it