The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 5, 2014, 09:24 PM   #76
Nick_C_S

Quote:
I fortunately have plenty of powder, so I can ride this out for just as long as it takes.
^^ Me too. ^^

Almost.

I am getting a little low on W231 & Bullseye.
But . . . I have lots of AA2 for back up. I'm working on duplicating recipes using AA2 now.
Old February 5, 2014, 10:31 PM   #77
Mike Irwin
Staff

"They must be putting all the Varget in 22LR."

See my explanation about companies switching production to powders used by the commercial reloading industry. I'm not 100% certain, but I don't think Varget is used for commercially loaded ammunition.

Its production was probably shunted to a siding to make room for powders that are loaded commercially.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old February 5, 2014, 10:43 PM   #78
Nick_C_S

It all makes sense to me Mike. I rather figured such was the case. Loaded ammo has more profit (and probably more total demand too) than components.

I wonder if this increased demand has prompted any manufacturers to look into ways to increase long-term production capacity?
Old February 6, 2014, 09:24 AM   #79
mnoirot64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick_C_S View Post
I wonder if this increased demand has prompted any manufacturers to look into ways to increase long-term production capacity?

I would imagine the powder manufacturers are hesitant to invest in more capacity. At some point (hopefully), the powder supply will be greater than the demand and inventory will begin to build up. By running 24/7, with the plants they have, they do not have to worry about the inevitable over capacity that would ensue.
Old February 6, 2014, 09:30 AM   #80
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

This particular shortage has may be long enough that some of them might wish they had moved to increase capacity but any increase would probably have only been coming fully online about now and it only seems like it might have been worthwhile in hindsight. Normal shortages, that are historically 6 months or so, do not offer any incentive to increase capacity. Even this one, by the time the logistics all came together, the actual need for the production might not (probably wouldn't) be long enough to recoup the investments.
Old February 6, 2014, 09:40 AM   #81
Mohave-Tec

In another year there will be 250,000 new reloaders selling everything they bought because ammo is on the shelves. Glut.
Old February 6, 2014, 09:56 AM   #82
mnoirot64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohave-Tec View Post
In another year there will be 250,000 new reloaders selling everything they bought because ammo is on the shelves. Glut.

These things will run their course.
Old February 6, 2014, 10:10 AM   #83
Mike Irwin
Staff

Ammo manufacturers have been increasing production capacity, so I suspect that the powder manufacturers would, to a degree, follow suit.

But, that isn't something that can be done quickly or cheaply. Powder manufacturing is akin to heavy industry.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old February 6, 2014, 10:46 AM   #84
Real Gun

Where has all the powder gone,
Long time passing?
Long time ago?

Gone to strangers, everyone?
When will they ever learn?
When will they ever learn?
Old February 6, 2014, 11:01 AM   #85
BOOMST1CK

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdmallory
They must be putting all the Varget in 22LR.
I tried to sell extra Varget and IMR 4895 locally (quit loading 308) at my cost ($22 a pound) and no one has even asked about it.

Must be more powder around than I thought.

If your in Colorado I would love to talk about that varget, heck even that imr.
Old February 6, 2014, 05:06 PM   #86
Nick_C_S

The weekly pilgrimage to my LGS.

I did my weekly stand-in-line thing this morning - waiting for my LGS to open its doors. It was a little drizzly, so it was nice of them to open up about 6 minutes early.

It appeared they got in a little more powder than past recent weeks: They got in about 25 or so Lbs of powder (lately, a dozen or less lbs is normal). IMR and Hodgdon stuff. About 3/4 of it was rifle powder. On the pistol side, all I saw was 700X, 800X, and Trail Boss - none of which I use. Just like the previous 8+ weeks
Old February 6, 2014, 06:43 PM   #87
Old 454

I bought 8 LBS of
bullseye
@ $125 per 8 LB bottle.

I am now low on H110 and power Pistol.

When I go to my little LGS wayyyyy out in the country he usually will have 8 Lb bottles or 1 Lb bottles I will stock up then.
Old February 6, 2014, 06:50 PM   #88
Kimber84

My LGS is pretty full stocked on all powders, bullets are starting to fill back in and primers have been stocked for quite sometime now.

I guess I'm fortunate to be I'm the right area.
Old February 6, 2014, 06:56 PM   #89
Nick_C_S

If I ever see another 8Lb jug of B'eye or 231 again, I'll probably keel over with a pump seizure right then and there.
Old February 6, 2014, 08:27 PM   #90
Airman Basic

Quote:
If I ever see another 8Lb jug of B'eye or 231 again, I'll probably keel over with a pump seizure right then and there.
Me too.
Old February 6, 2014, 08:59 PM   #91
mnoirot64

I want eight pounders. Especially at that price. Mid Tennessee is pretty tough right now.
Old February 6, 2014, 09:07 PM   #92
pctechdude

I was lucky enough to find 231 on wideners a few months back, 8lbs for 122.99. A local store had 8208 in stock about that time, bought two. Still have about 3.5lbs longshot. Most of those I haven't found recently. Just today I was at another store, which usually is fully stocked. Hardly any powder, and even less of Alliant. Not a bottle of dots, BE, Unique, PP nothing all empty
Old February 6, 2014, 10:42 PM   #93
bluetopper

Found a pound each today of 700X and Green Dot. I snatched them up quick.
Old February 14, 2014, 01:28 PM   #94
Nick_C_S

The weekly pilgrimage to my LGS.

I did my weekly stand-in-line-for-the-doors-to-open thing this morning (the shipment was Friday this week; usually, it's Thursday).

About 15 Lbs of powder is in this week's shipment. All IMR. All but 3 Lbs was for rifle (the 3 Lbs of pistol was 800X).

Pretty typical for about the last 4 months now.
Old February 14, 2014, 08:55 PM   #95
jboyd103

Well I am aggravated too

After watching gunbroker, like most of you have, for months looking for titegroup, there has been one person CONSISTENTLY selling 3 to 4 auctions of 4lb batches.

SO, this guy has an inside track and is IMHO taking advantage.

He has sold at least 150 lbs of titegroup in the past 2 months for prices near to $230/4lb auctions.

So, it is apparent to me why none of us common folks can find any powder. This guy, and many like him, are buying it up before it even reached the shelves. Then, stupid people are buying it for double and triple the retail value.

STOP PAYING MORE THAN RETAIL! NurseBell is the username...
Boycott his auctions!

He currently has 43 auction items, of which are several pistol powders that we are all needing. Unique, Titegroup, Autocomp, Accurate #7!!!!!!!!!
Old February 16, 2014, 09:58 AM   #96
Real Gun

I suggest showing up early on the first morning of a gun show. Vendors I saw had powder I hadn't found online.
Old February 16, 2014, 10:31 AM   #97
Okcafe86

I've got a small mom and pop store that seems to always have powder. The big places like cabelas are always dry. I consider myself lucky to of found it.
A-GANG/LOWER LEVEL MAFIA
Old February 16, 2014, 05:54 PM   #98
jboyd103

A gunshow near me this weekend

had a reasonable selection of powder. Not great by any means, but I was able to pick up a couple of pounds of IMR 7625.

As many of you here do, I continue to check Gunbroker, and there seems to be more Titegroup and other pistol powders available. One user has 15 lbs available! So, it is obvious to me that people like this person who are getting the powder, whether it be an individual or a distributor, are not allowing the powder to reach the shelves. It is confusing to me how this is happening and companies like Powder Valley haven't even had a single pound of titegroup or similar pistol powders available for months.

These people are making double and triple the retail value, and until people stop buying, this insanity will continue. I have enough IMR 700x and 7625 to make do for a while. I am not going to perpetuate this ridiculous market.
Old February 16, 2014, 09:14 PM   #99
Mohave-Tec

Maybe Powder Valley is selling their stuff on GunBroker. aHHAhHahaaha
Old February 16, 2014, 09:17 PM   #100
jboyd103

I had that thought

as I was writing that post Mojave! It is entirely possible.