The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old March 23, 2009, 09:37 PM   #1
Narcoleptic Warrior

Self Taught Training

Where I live, (in SE Asia) professionally taught pistol combat classes are very expensive. They go for about US$2000/head and are taught by ex-SEALs/Green Berets or former LEO trainers brought in from the US. While my country's unformed agencies can afford to send their personnel for such training, I cannot personally afford the cost.

Hence, I am limited to spending time at the range on my own shooting my personal pistols at static targets and perfecting my marksmanship. While my shooting in the standing unsupported weaver stance position at the 15 and 25meter ranges (4" and 6" grouping respectively) is now pretty okay (after 3 1/2 years of frequent practice), I find myself frequently lapsing into the "slow, deliberate precision fire" mode. I feel that I'm always training for marksmanship rather than self preservation.

Can anyone suggest training drills that I can do on my own that will make me a better self protection shooter? How do I do double taps with a K-frame .38 revolver or a .380 pistol possessing very SNAPPY recoil?
Whilst still in teacher training college some years back, a lecturer said that we would "sometimes be a sage on a stage and other times be a guide by the side". Now that I know how much cr#% is present within the school system, I'd rather be "a bum on the beach with a beer within easy reach".
Old March 23, 2009, 09:52 PM   #2
matthew temkin

Double taps..hold the gun in a very firm grip at chest level.( One hand or two handed, pref in the MI stance)
Stare at the exact spot that you want to hit.
Then pull the trigger as fast as possible.
Try this out to 7 yards or so.

Last edited by matthew temkin; March 23, 2009 at 09:57 PM.
Old March 23, 2009, 10:08 PM   #3
guntotin_fool

first off do you have a place to practice, not just a range, but somewhere where you can set up some shooting drills?

if you do, then make up some moving targets, doesnt have to be fancy, but some whippy sticks that the wind will move and the board or cardboard target will be moving too, as people dont stand there and let you shoot them.

Practice drawing, and moving, and then shooting from behind cover, getting anything solid between you and them. Double taps are a skill you can practice at home, using EMPTY shells in the cylinder for a cushion to the firing pin, just draw and bring the gun up and as soon as you can see front sight let the hammer fall and as soon as you can see front sight again, trip it again. it becomes very easy after a bit. Don't stare at one spot and don't try to be a gunslinger and see how fast you can do it, do it smooth. Smooth is good, smooth becomes fast, and then fast becomes smooth. This is not a combat skill that you learn in a weekend, it takes weeks of practice until it becomes not only second nature, but a SKILLED second nature. It takes more dexterity than driving a clutch, and how long did that take you to become very smooth and unthinking? If you can get a partner to train with you, lots of fun games can be thought up, tying strings to targets and making them move or duck behind a tree etc, all of which end up building gun skills.

Do not become locked in on two hands, perfect foot work and stance, but draw and move, and fire while you are moving, trying to hit the target as you move. IF you can get a .22, its easy to start these skills with something like that, and move up.

Good luck'

Last edited by guntotin_fool; March 23, 2009 at 10:13 PM.
Old March 23, 2009, 10:46 PM   #4
ranburr

I would suggest you get some training videos from Suarez International.
Old March 25, 2009, 11:24 AM   #5
Rifleman 173

Videotapes and dvds of firearms training are available from a number of sources and can be sent to you by mail. You can purchase the videos from Front Sight, eBay, Amazon.com, Barnes and Noble, Gunsite and so on. I would buy a number of the videos, look them over first and then practice some of the shooting techniques on my local range. Why spend thousands of dollars when you can buy good information sources for under $75.00? You can also buy books too that will be informative.