The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old November 15, 2011, 07:06 AM   #1
Brevard

Confused

I purchased a Romanian Draco. I have been contemplating for a few weeks about going the SBR route to make it more fun to shoot. But I feel like a complete moron for not knowing what all I am doing and with all the "techincal" terms.

1. What all goes into getting the SBR tax stamp?

2. Where do I get the paper work?

3. I was wanting to add a magpul angled foregrip to my Draco. If I am not mistaken once I tax stamp and make it into a SBR I can at that point legally add a angled foregrip, crrect? Or will I still have to go with a AOW stamp?
Old November 15, 2011, 09:17 AM   #2
chewie146

A vertical foregrip is not an issue in most states, whether sbr or 16" barrel. The others on here will be able to better answer the paperwork for the SBR, but the ATF has FAQs online to guide you through that. Check out their site. EDIT: It is a rifle right now, correct? Or are you talking about converting a pistol to a rifle. If it is a pistol, you'll have to wait on the foregrip.
Old November 15, 2011, 09:48 AM   #3
Uncle Malice

This will answer what you need to know about the paperwork:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6ONqI3_QOI

I was originally going to do a Draco SBR, but ended up going with an AR build instead.
Old November 15, 2011, 11:19 AM   #4
Brevard

It is a pistol now. I didn't know if the foregrip would be cover under the sbr. I was sure it is but wanted to be safe than sorry...thanks for the help
Old November 15, 2011, 11:30 PM   #5
oldkim

Check state laws too...

So make sure you know your state laws...

Washington State law makes it illegal to have a SBR or machine gun... in the state of Washington.

Check out my new website: www.shootonthemove.org
Old November 16, 2011, 04:22 AM   #6
Brevard

This is the part that confuses me trying to figure out what is and what isn't.

I'm 99.99% sure it is legal in NC. As bad as I want to do this it just seems like too much of a pain in the butt. may just sell it and buy me a pistol and a regular rifle and be done with it. Unless you are like a friend of mine who is trying to get me to just do it without the paper work . Gotta love him though.
Old November 16, 2011, 08:47 AM   #7
Stressfire

Quote:
Unless you are like a friend of mine who is trying to get me to just do it without the paper work
Somehow I don't think 10 years in the pokey (hmm, wonder why they call it that...) is worth having the ability to blow off $200 worth of ammo in 5 minutes. After all, then what do you do for the rest of the afternoon.

Quote:
It is a pistol now.
Foregrips on a pistol are generally a no-no, Even BATFE isn't sure what to do about them other than classify them as AOW.

I would say either enjoy what you have as it is or trade it for something you can enjoy and save up your money if you really want an auto
Old November 16, 2011, 11:23 AM   #8
rjrivero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stressfire
I would say either enjoy what you have as it is or trade it for something you can enjoy and save up your money if you really want an auto
He's not talking about making it Full Auto (Which we know is illegal unless you're a Class 3 manufacturer.)

He's talking about making it a Short Barrel Rifle.

SBR's are kind of fun. But you MUST do the paperwork, because it's no fun in Club Fed for 10 years. (So I'm told.)
Old November 16, 2011, 12:14 PM   #9
Stressfire

Quote:
He's not talking about making it Full Auto (Which we know is illegal unless you're a Class 3 manufacturer.)
Doh, got my threads crossed again...nickel for every time that's happened...

Edit: And confused myself by re-reading NFA - not hard to do
Old November 17, 2011, 07:11 AM   #10
Brevard

It is hard to justify $200 when I can always just buy somehting else. I am looking more into the trade route. Just not having any luck locally. Not sure about all this shipping stuff to try else where.

As far as doing it without the paper work. The odds of getting caught are slim to none. However I don't like the chances of slim. Besides me no wanna be poked in the butt by some guy who decided he was feeling lonely that day. I am assuming that is where the term "Getting thrown in the pokey" come from.
Old November 17, 2011, 11:27 AM   #11
Willie Lowman

Quote:
It is hard to justify $200 when I can always just buy somehting else.
That $200 is buying you the legal right to possess something that nobody else is allowed to have.

Quote:
However I don't like the chances of slim. Besides me no wanna be poked in the butt by some guy who
Lets not forget about the fines and the thousands of days you would be spending in prison. Even if you weren't experiencing forceful man love you'd still be in lock down.
Old November 17, 2011, 04:20 PM   #12
bigj480

As far as I know, the angled foregrip is fine on a pistol but a vertical grip is not.

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&p...hMzUx&hl=en_US

Well, guns over 26.5" OAL can have a VFG but a draco is too short for that.
Old November 25, 2011, 07:45 AM   #13
Brevard

Thank BigJ. I wish I would have known about the angled foregrip before. I had seen that earlier but only the first page. I traded it off for a Walther PPS .40 and some cash