The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old September 23, 2016, 08:16 PM   #1
Rich_357

What would you do with an old rifle crate???

Well I found a private dealer locally (within 3 hours) that has a stash of empty SKS and Mosin crates. I’m guessing that the SKS crates are Yugo’s but I forgot to inquire about that or the dimensions. He did say that the crates were 5 rifles across and that the piece for the second row usually got thrown away. I did some research and if they are Yugo crates they are probably 46”x21”x13”. He’s asking very little and I can probably fit two in my car….if I am lucky.

Can anyone confirm the dimensions? I’m thinking about turning one into a display case; maybe something like this but I’m not sure yet. Thoughts?

Edit: 99.5% sure that they are Yugo crates and the dimensions are pretty much on the money. He has more than a few of them as well as Mosin crates. I plan on heading down this weekend, picking a few up, taking some pics and inventory. He really sounded like he wanted to get rid of these CHEAP but he doesn't want to ship (NC, SC, GA)

Last edited by Rich_357; September 23, 2016 at 10:32 PM.
Old September 24, 2016, 07:44 AM   #2
Ernest T

That photo looks like someone made a nice display case out of one. Unfortunately for me, My wife would nix that idea in a heartbeat. I'd never be able to bring it out of my workroom in the basement.
Old September 24, 2016, 02:58 PM   #3
P5 Guy

I Live Alone

That looks like a great coffee table!
Old September 25, 2016, 07:58 PM   #4
Ozzieman

I think its great except for one thing.
With that table they made a great carrying case for a thief to carry off your guns.

Did you hear about the latest study.....5 out of 6 liberals say that Russian Roulette is safe.
Old September 26, 2016, 10:16 AM   #5
P5 Guy

The crate could be bolted to the floor?
Old September 26, 2016, 10:27 AM   #6
FITASC

You wouldn't have to put guns in it either. I saw some real nice display tables which had mounted quail in a setting inside. Was very nice.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old September 28, 2016, 09:14 PM   #7
Rich_357

I went down there last weekend. Picked up two M59/66 crates and two M-67 Ammo crates...$40. I'm about halfway through cleaning them up and I'm really not sure what I'm going to do with them. We'll see....

Classic is only releasing their crates to three dealers; this guy one of them. He's off of I-95 in rural SC. He's not willing to ship. He can be found on ArmsList.com.

Old September 29, 2016, 01:06 PM   #8
Alter-ego

Cool
Old October 9, 2016, 03:02 PM   #9
Rich_357

Finished staining one of them; probably just going to use it for garage storage or something. It's not great but for $15 + $8 of stain...it'll do :P