The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old October 20, 2020, 05:12 PM   #26
Metal god

Haha , yeah came right off . It’s amazing what happens when you use the correct tools LOL . The one mistake I made was not to chamfer or debur the edges of the tool. It turns out they were quite sharp and nicked the inner prongs of the hider . Nothing major just a little pinprick here pin prick there .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old October 20, 2020, 09:07 PM   #27
44 AMP
Staff

Told ya! I used to do that kind of work back in the day (70s)

One thing that never crossed my mind was sharp edges on the tool.... NONE of the GI armorer's wrenches had any sharp edges. Of course, very few I saw were brand new, either....and after about 76 finding a 3 prong still on the gun was uncommon, as well.

I did understand the bitching about the "wait a minute" 3 prong flash suppressor, but the one that always ticked me off more was the oval (teardrop?) shape forward assist. That sumbitch snagged on everything, your shirt, your web gear, its own sling, anything you laid it on, as well as the jungle vegetation,

I was very happy when I got a later rifle (H&R lower) with the round button forward assist. Basically useless, even a bad idea sometimes, but at least it didn't snag on stuff.