The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old July 9, 2013, 10:40 PM   #1
AL45

More Carcano questions.

The bolt is hard to close on my 7.35mm Carcano, but it opens easy and ejects fine. I notice that the rim is marred and scratched, Some rounds chamber fairly easy while others take extra force and ocassionally a little rap to push in and turn the bolt handle down. These are 6.5mm resized to 7.35mm with the correct trim length of 51.4mm. The rounds shot fine and produced 3 inch groups (not by me). I am getting ready to reload these and am wondering if I can expect better bolt performance since these cases have now been fire formed to the gun?
Old July 10, 2013, 12:04 AM   #2
tahunua001

no, the first step in preparing your brass for reloading is to run them through a sizer die that forced it back down to factory specs. fire formed brass is often very hard to rechamber because of the tight tolerances.

is it possible that the en bloc clips are creating friction on forward motion with the bolt? or that you've got a bur somewhere that catches on the bolt?
Old July 10, 2013, 08:47 AM   #3
chiefr

I would suggest checking Grafs or other retailers and use correct 7.35 brass. Privi Partisan makes new brass. Prvi brass is of excellent quality.
Old July 10, 2013, 09:23 AM   #4
tahunua001

I wouldn't call PRVI excellent but they are still pretty decent and they are the only game in town if you come home with a goofball like 7.35 or 8x56R. I just bought 100 cases of the latter and there were a few defects, scrapes, chips etc etc... nothing that would make them unserviceable but not something that I would rate as excellent. but... until ATK starts cranking out 6.5 jap brass I guess they'll have to do.

I know from your previous threads that these are resized from 6.5x52 brass but what kind of ammo was it to begin with? was it surplus, PRVI or hornady custom(which still uses PRVI brass?

if it was surplus brass it may just be not good anymore.
Old July 10, 2013, 01:36 PM   #5
AL45

This is Norma brass. I will certainly resize it before reloading it.

Last edited by AL45; July 10, 2013 at 01:45 PM.