The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 7, 2011, 03:20 AM   #1
CK I

.410 "Handgun" Loads in Full Shotguns

Is there any reason why these new .410 rounds that are "designed for The Judge" would not excel in an actual .410 shotgun? I have a Khan .410 O/U I leave my wife for home defense since I work nights. I currently just have 3" Winchester X 000 Buck rounds for her. Would these Specialty .410 rounds be any more effective? I.E. Winchester .410 PDX or Federal 3" Handgun 00 Buck?
Old May 7, 2011, 10:54 PM   #2
big al hunter

It is my understanding that the hangun loads are less powerful to reduce the muzzle blast that accompanies a short barrel. They should function but will have significantly less stopping power than the buckshot loads you use already. I would opt for more power for defence purposes.
Old May 7, 2011, 11:02 PM   #3
Deja vu

I have used the federal in a single shot 410. It functioned well and worked Just fine on paper.

It does not feel less powerful but of course how it feels is very subjective.

all 26 of my guns are 45/70 govt, 357 mag, 22 or 12 ga... I believe in keeping it simple. Wish my wife did as well...
Old May 7, 2011, 11:25 PM   #4
C0untZer0

Here's my opinion.

I think the specialty "defense" rounds that I've seen for the 410 pistols are unproven.

As far as I know - no one has run these through gelatin tests or anything. No predictors for effectiveness.

Some of them look ridiculous. Some of them SOUND ridiculous!

I am betting that people would probably get the best results with either #1 Buck or #0 Buck.

As far as mixing these hybrid loads... like #2 and #4, I think what people eventually will find is that these mixed loads will create a gruesome wound, albeit a shallow one, but probably the shot is not going to penetrate the requisite depth to damage vital tissue which is the best way to assure incapacitation.

Does the PDX come in 3" shells ? I've only seen in in 2.5

Your wife's 410 doesn't have rifling does it? I would say stick with standard 410 shotgun ammunition. What you've got loaded now is probably as effective or more so than any of the specialty rounds being made for the Judge / Governors. The 410 is limited and there is no magic bullet. There is a lot of buzz over these 410 handguns, but they don't beat the laws of physics. I think the slick advertising makes them look like a mini 12ga. In reality it doesn't matter if you are sending a 45cal projectile or a 1/2 oz group of lead balls out the end of it. There is only so much the 410 can do.

I do think though that #1 and #0 probably would be the best bet.

I think you have 1/2 oz of shot, so you get around 5 pellets of #1 Buck, 4 pellets of #0

I would say it's like getting shot by a .32 four times.

Probably slightly more effective in 3" shells.

The problem is - I don't think anyone makes 410 ammo with #1 or #0 Buck

Last edited by C0untZer0; May 7, 2011 at 11:46 PM.
Old May 7, 2011, 11:49 PM   #5
macsters

as far as i am aware, the judge rounds are all 2.5 inch shells. the federal "handgun" shells are 2.5 inch, not 3 inch. this means either less lead or less powder.

i would choose normal 3 inch shells with either 000 or 00 buck or #4 shot over 2.5 inch shells designed for a handgun. if velocity is the same (and it is in this case), more lead downrange=more stopping power, and a 3 inch load gives you that extra lead.

stick with what you are using.