The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old May 13, 2007, 04:12 PM   #1
acfemf

So...How expensive are full auto weapons?

I have no experience with full-auto weapons, but caught sight of an ad in a gun mag. The vendor seemed to sell only full-auto guns, but I couldn't believe the asking prices. Something like 16K for an mp5. All of the weapons were priced over their semi-auto counterparts by a factor of 10, it seemed. Does it really cost multiple thousands to get a fully automatic weapon. This is, of course, not withstanding the licencing fees. Just curious about this.
Old May 13, 2007, 05:29 PM   #2
shaggy

Yup, thats correct. In 1986 Congress passed a law prohibiting the new manufacture and registration of machineguns for civilian use and possesion, but full auto weapons which had been properly registered were 'grandfathered'. With a fixed (actually steadily decreasing) supply and an ever increasing demand due to more and more people realizing grandfathered machineguns are legal the prices have shot through the roof.
Old May 13, 2007, 07:19 PM   #3
44 AMP
Staff

Supply and demand

The demand is growing, and the supply is fixed. Before the 1986 freeze, FA guns of the common types cost a little more than the semi auto versions. Rare guns cost quite a bit.

Since the 1986 freeze, no new guns can be added to the registry. That means that no new made guns can be owned by civilians, and that no "found" old guns (like a BAR found in granpa's old footlocker) can be added to the registry either. Since the supply is fixed, and deminishing slowly, as the guns wear out, the price had gone through the roof.

The price also goes up each time one of these guns is sold, due to the $200 tax, and the dealer's fees. Unlike regular guns, the more used a FA gun is, the more it costs. Some Thompson SMGs are at $50,000 right now!
Old May 13, 2007, 08:56 PM   #4
oldbillthundercheif

It's only going to get worse. If you want one, get one as soon as your savings will allow.
Old May 16, 2007, 01:24 PM   #5
douglasschuckert

Reasonable Prices SMG

There are very few investments in this world that will not depreciate in value.

The SMG is one of the best!

You have uncut diamonds and precious stones that are also among this category, but are not NEARLY the fun!..

As stated above, the only way a non-dealer/manufacturer is going ot get their hands on an SMG is if it was made & registered prior to May/86. This means that what is out there is ALL that will EVER be available.

This is why your popular 'movie' guns like the MP5, M16, Tommy Gun, and so forth will cost you an arm and a leg. BUT DO NOT FEAR!! YOU HAVE OPTIONS!!

One of the most respected and cheap SMG's out there is the MAC 10 or 11. You can get the MAC 10 and fire .45ACP, 9mm, & .22 from it, the MAC series has the absolute most accessories available for it than ANY other SMG (except the M16), and its one of the VERY FEW that you can still find *NEW IN THE BOX*. The ONLY drawback is the cyclic rate (rate of fire) of the MAC… but all is not lost there either. There are slow fire kits available in all calibers…. The MAC is the perfect SMG. Expect to pay about $3 to $3,500.00 for one.

I personally own the MAC 10. I have it setup in all calibers, and enjoy the CRAP out of it.

The great thing about SMG's is you can shoot the ever living crap out of them, and they will still increase in value!!! Get your SMG, shoot the piss out of it, and sell it a couple of years down the line for a good profit!!!

There really is NO excuse for not purchasing an SMG!! :-)
Old May 17, 2007, 08:29 AM   #6
mxwelch

For years I lamented over the price until I threw caution to the wind and went ahead and bought one. I messed up by waiting. In 2000 an AC556 was going for around $2.5K. Now they're around $6.5K. Right after the Nov. elections I decided it was now or never. As the above posters have mentioned: if price is a big issue then get the MAC. You'll be glad you did.
Old June 6, 2007, 08:07 PM   #7
dtarbox

My M-16 cost me right around 10K but prices have been pretty flat the last few years. It is still a big chunk of change especially with no cheap supplies of surplus ammo anymore.