The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 11, 2012, 11:02 PM   #1
comn-cents

Beneli 121 M1

So walked into LGS a couple of days a go and found in the rack a 121 for what I thought was a stupid price, so I bought it. Of course I had to check in with my gun-guru to make sure what I was seeing was real, sure enough it was.
It has H&K on the frame I'm guessing this is the import for the 121, am I right in guessing about this. Anyone have an idea of what they should sell for right now?
I hear they are one of if not the best semi tactical shotgun around and the fastest shooting.
Thanks for any info you can give me in advance.
Old November 11, 2012, 11:18 PM   #2
Marty Hayes

The 121 M-1 is one of the best shotguns ever made, IMO. I have two of them. In good condition, I would expect the value to be $500 or so. One of the joys of this particular shotgun is the heavy wood stock soaks up recoil. Stick an aftermarket slip on recoil pad to absorb more, and it is an easy shooting gun. It likes heavy loads though, High Brass birdshot and .00 buck, full loads.

Keep it lubed up, and learn how to take the bolt apart and clean it. Also, it operates on a delayed inertia system, meaning do not take a hold against your shoulder, as that prevent the recoil from ejecting the shells.
Old November 11, 2012, 11:33 PM   #3
comn-cents

Thanks Marty, haven't seen you in a few years, but my brother Chris & I have taken 5 or 6 classes from you.
Maybe it's time for a shotgun class!
Carl
Old November 12, 2012, 07:53 AM   #4
mete

The bolt comes apart in about 10 seconds ! No excuse for not cleaning it ! My M1 90 has a black plastic stock [one of the first on the market ]and yes in those days it was sold by H&K. I modified mine to work with target loads easier. I also dropped the trigger pull from 8.5 lbs to a much nicer 5 lbs.Another great improvement - I removed the fiber optic front sight and replaced the fiber with stainless steel.The fiber optic sights I think are terrible as they give a different sight picture whether you're in the sun or shade. Popular but terrible !
Old November 13, 2012, 01:33 AM   #5
Marty Hayes

Carl, the 121 just rocks.
Old November 13, 2012, 02:13 AM   #6
comn-cents

So it was 299 bucks well spent!