The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old December 13, 2011, 09:41 PM   #1
KrissyBK

In the market for a beginner's pistol

Hello all,

My boyfriend has been talking about applying for his pistol permit so that he can play with a gun at a local shooting range. I did some snooping and found out that his gun of choice is a desert eagle .5. Is this type of gun appropriate for a beginner who plans to use it for target shooting? Further, is there a more reasonably priced pistol that's comparable to the desert eagle that I may get him?

Please help!

-"Santa" Kristin
Old December 13, 2011, 09:59 PM   #2
MLeake

Desert Eagle .50 costs a lot for ammo, which makes it a terrible platform for a brand new shooter unless he has a whole lot of idle cash.

It is also big, heavy, and poorly suited for much other than range use or, possibly, hunting.

That said, any gun can make a neat toy.

If he really wants to learn how to shoot, and assuming his budget is more along average lines, a .22 in revolver or auto form is the best starting point.

If he wants a gun that is a more effective home defense option, but still uses reasonably affordable ammunition, an auto in 9mm or a revolver in .357 or .38 is a good bet. (I would recommend a 4" barrel on the revolver, and a 4" to 5" barrel on an auto for a new shooter.)
Old December 13, 2011, 10:00 PM   #3
Straightshooter629

A Desert Eagle .50 Cal is not my idea of a beginners gun or a gun just for fun at the range. First, the recoil is considerable for a beginning shooter. Secondly, the cost of the ammo would be prohibitive unless money is no object. It would be difficult to make a recommendation withou knowing your budget and preference for a metal or polymer framed weapon. Not enough info to make a legitimate suggestion.
Old December 13, 2011, 10:03 PM   #4
armoredman

Great Scott! For a first timer, a Desert Beagle is a baaaad choice, too big, too expensive for ammo, impossible to carry, too heavy to shoot all day, good grief.

Of course, if it's his money, just sit back and watch him crow and dance for a day and a half, then wonder why it never sells on consignment at the local gun shop, or why they won't give him more than half the cost in trade in.

See if he'll like a CZ-75 9mm. He can still carry it cocked and locked in single action like the Desert Eagle, or carrying it hammer down double action, great feel, and he can get a 22lr Kadet Kit to shoot dirt cheap 22lr ammo through it, two guns in one, lost of gear and mags available for it.

What ever he gets, let him make up his mind, and have him pick up each gun to see if it "fits". If it feels like a brick, it always will. If it feels like an extension of his arm, explore further.
Old December 13, 2011, 10:04 PM   #5
MLeake

Another thought - the feel of a gun is highly subjective; additionally, some guns just do not fit well (due to size or shape) in some hands. IE buying somebody else a gun is kind of like buying somebody else a dog - never a good idea unless you know exactly what they want, and that they truly want it.

A better idea is to get them a gift certificate to a reputable local gun shop, so they can choose their own "just right" gun.

Edit: looks like we are all on the same page.
Old December 13, 2011, 10:10 PM   #6
KrissyBK

That is so typical of him to choose a gun that matches neither his budget or level of skill )

Well, I'm the one buying so I get to choose! It's a Christmas gift and I'd like to keep it under $300... I'm reading your suggestions and the gun jargon makes no sense to me. I was hoping that someone could throw out the name of a gun so that I could simply google it and click "buy now."
Old December 13, 2011, 10:14 PM   #7
KrissyBK

Looks like the gift certificate is the way to go. Thanks a lot for your help.
Old December 13, 2011, 10:16 PM   #8
MLeake

Again, you choosing for him would be as bad as him choosing for you. Fit and feel matter. To avoid wasting money, I suggest you check out the website corneredcat.com. It is written for the brand new shooter, and has a chapter devoted to factors in selecting a gun.

Edit: looks like we are simultyping. Seriously, though, check out corneredcat.com as I think you will not only find it useful, but you might enjoy it.
Old December 13, 2011, 10:17 PM   #9
TxFlyFish

Can you do 400-500? That will buy him a quality name brand pistol. The reason i'm saying is that as first shooter it will help him avoid a lot the hassles that he might stumble upon with a lower price point pistol
Old December 13, 2011, 10:32 PM   #10
C0untZer0

It sounds like your BF's gun choice is ego-driven.

I'd get him the S&W 500...

NOW THAT"S A GUN !!!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 500 838.jpg (7.8 KB, 435 views)
Old December 13, 2011, 10:35 PM   #11
TxFlyFish

Best Plan

Actually here's the best plan. (no offense to the rest of yall ) Buy 100 rounds of 9mm ammo ($20-30) then have him try as many rentals as he can in 2hours ($30)

Have him try these, all of them can be in sub 500 price range (print this out and give it to the range)
1) Glock 17
2) Smith Wesson M&P
3) Springfield Armory XDM
4) Walther P99
5) Sig 2022
6) Beretta 92FS

This is NOT a beginners gun and is a bit more spendy BUT one of the best platform to try is a 1911 (recommend Springfield Armory for their excellent customer service)

All the ones above are RELIABLE and BEGINNER FRIENDLY firearms backed by good companies (beretta and sig customer service is lagging behind the rest, BUT theyre still quality firearms). These are also full size service pistols used by law enforcement and military. If you can find a range that also sells guns be sure to ask them if they can throw in free range time. Dont forget to bring CASH and always negotiate the price! Don't let the dealer pressure him, stick to the brands above. Good Luck!

Last edited by TxFlyFish; December 13, 2011 at 11:08 PM.
Old December 13, 2011, 10:42 PM   #12
ripnbst

I would seriously consider raising your budget to $500 as it opens up your choices greatly. Remember you are planning on trusting your life to this gun. In a time of need, can you count on it to function properly? How much do you like your boyfriend?

Based on your price requirements as listed here is what I'd look at.

Kahr CW9
Sig Sauer P250
Kel-Tec P11
Kel-Tec PF9
Kahr CW45
Diamondback DB9

Something in a pawn shop.

PLEASE DO NOT BUY ANYTHING MADE BY HI-POINT or TAURUS! Yes, I just put them in the same category.

Really I'd be hesitant to buy him a gun without him specifically saying that he wanted it. maybe give him a card with a creative coupon in it that reads "Redeemable for one handgun up to around $300". If he finds something he really likes for $500 he could add $200 of his own money. I'd also point him toward this forum so he can do some research.
Old December 13, 2011, 10:52 PM   #13
TxFlyFish

Ripnbst, hope you dont mind me being an ******e but I would steer clear of any compact and subcompacts. He needs a gun that will run 100%! I must second your advice as well, push budget to 400-500. Last thing he needs is to get the "well give it couple hundred more rounds to break in" excuse that plagues many of these smaller platforms. Again my apologies
Old December 13, 2011, 10:59 PM   #14
Cheapshooter

Quote:
Kahr CW9
Sig Sauer P250
Kel-Tec P11
Kel-Tec PF9
Kahr CW45
Diamondback DB9
All good choices for concealed carry or home defense, but according to the OP he wants something for range use!

Quote:
My boyfriend has been talking about applying for his pistol permit so that he can play with a gun at a local shooting range.
It sounds like he has his mind set on a large caliber centerfire "Big Boomer". Probably not the best choice for a beginner. Something in a 38 Special, or 9MM Luger caliber would be better. A 22 rimfire would make even more sense for a beginner. Easier to learn with, and much more economical for a lot of practice.

My suggestions would be:
Browning Buckmark
Ruger MK
GSG 1911-22
Colt 1011-22
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old December 13, 2011, 11:02 PM   #15
bcrash15

If he really likes the Desert Eagle styling, you might consider (or implore him to consider) the Jericho 941. It was designed by the same manufacturer of the Desert Eagle, and is sometimes called the "Baby Eagle" due to its similar styling. They come in several common and reasonable calibers, I'd suggest 9mm. Unfortunately they are a little harder to find, you can't just walk into a gun shop and find one. They seem to be in the same price range as Glocks and many other service-style pistols, Bud's Gunshop has them for $504. Or you could just give him the gift card and pass the name of the gun along and see if he likes it.
Old December 13, 2011, 11:15 PM   #16
TxFlyFish

Since his first pick is the desert eagle, print out all the sidearms from modern warfare 3 and battlefield 3 and bring it to the dealer. He can purchase most of them. You'd be surprised how many of them are affordable. Its OK to want a cool gun
Old December 13, 2011, 11:32 PM   #17
KrissyBK

My dilemma is this:
A) I'm already giving him an apple gift card and wanted to get him something more personal (nothing says, "I love you" like a gun)
B) if I go for something in the higher price range and he uses it twice, I"ll be super upset.

He's a big guy with very large hands. I know that that Is limiting in some capacity. Also, he does play Call of Duty and I'm sure that's where this itch to shoot is coming from.
Old December 13, 2011, 11:35 PM   #18
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrissyBK
Well, I'm the one buying so I get to choose! It's a Christmas gift and I'd like to keep it under $300... I'm reading your suggestions and the gun jargon makes no sense to me. I was hoping that someone could throw out the name of a gun so that I could simply google it and click "buy now."
Kudos to you for being willing to buy him a gun, but with all due respect -- don't do it. A more frequent situation on many gun forums is for a guy to log on and ask for advice on what gun to choose for his wife/girlfriend/mother/sister. The prevailing answer is ALWAYS to take her to a gun shop (or, better yet, a range that has rentals) and let her try as many guns as possible before choosing for herself.

I see no reason this advice might be less valid with the genders reversed. Firearms selection is highly personal. One should not choose a firearm because the photos look good in a magazine, or because a reviewer liked it (if you look at gun magazines, you'll quickly discover that ALL reviewers like ALL the guns they test, ALL the time), or because so-and-so has one and likes it. To shoot well, the gun has to feel comfortable to the shooter. The only way to find out what's comfortable and what you shoot well is to try shooting a bunch of different guns.

The gift certificate is a good idea. To be honest, since the Desert Eagle wish suggests the BF favors semi-automatics rather than revolvers, there isn't much available for under $300 that's worth spending $300 on. If he takes your $300 gift certificate and adds another hundred or two, it will open up a world of better firearms.

That said, if he likes (or thinks he might like) a Desert Eagle, then in the real world he might like a 1911. There are several good makers of 1911s in the Philippines who offer entry level guns of good quality with list prices around $400 to $450, and street prices below $400. Rock Island Armory, Metro Arms (American Classic), and ATI (Shooters Arms manufacturing, a.k.a. S.A.M.) are all in that range, and any one of them would be a good choice. The nice thing about a 1911 is that it's a classic design. There's a good chance he will like it, and if he doesn't there's ALWAYS a market for 1911s.
Old December 13, 2011, 11:50 PM   #19
carguychris

OK, taking all of the above into account, here's my thoughts.

First choice: gift card.

Second choice: Large-frame .357 Magnum revolver with 6" or longer barrel, e.g. Ruger GP100, S&W Model 686 or 627.

Here's the reason behind a .357Mag revolver. The gun is big, intimidating, and macho like a Desert Eagle, BUT(!) you can shoot lower-powered ammo in it. A semi-automatic like a Desert Eagle relies on the power of the ammo to cycle the action and load the next cartridge; if the ammo is too weak or too strong, it won't work properly. Consequently, you can only use the expensive, high-powered ammo in it. The expense and the recoil of full-power ammo can take the fun out of shooting really quickly.

A revolver, on the other hand, is cycled by your trigger finger. It doesn't care how powerful or feeble the ammo is; it'll still work. Here's where it gets good: a .357 Magnum revolver will fire lower-powered .38 Special ammo, which is cheap and widely available; unlike .50-caliber Desert Eagle ammo, you can buy it at Walmart. Furthermore, in a big, heavy, 6"-barrel revolver, the recoil of .38Spl is downright mild.

In other words, he can have a big, macho-looking gun capable of firing really powerful and loud ammo that gets everyone's attention at the firing range... but he can ALSO fire mild, inexpensive stuff if he wants.
Old December 13, 2011, 11:51 PM   #20
TxFlyFish

Ok guys, whats the next best non NFA sidearm in COD after the desert eagle?
Old December 14, 2011, 12:01 AM   #21
KrissyBK

I live in NYC. Is it true that I need a permit just to purchase the gun?
Old December 14, 2011, 12:02 AM   #22
npederse

You're probably looking at either a 1911 or a HK USP, both in .45acp. Both are featured guns in Modern Warfare.

Of the two, I'd go for a 1911. I'd recommend a Rock Island Armory Tactical -- you can find one for a little over $400 http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...s_id/411539799
Old December 14, 2011, 12:28 AM   #23
CWKahrFan

Quote:
I live in NYC. Is it true that I need a permit just to purchase the gun?
Jeeesh... For an ordinary citizen it's nearly impossible... Serious, you need to forget the whole idea...

http://www.nyc.gov/html/nypd/downloa...ts/643-115.pdf

Last edited by CWKahrFan; December 14, 2011 at 12:40 AM.
Old December 14, 2011, 12:40 AM   #24
C0untZer0

New York City ?

Well... at least it's not Chicago
Old December 14, 2011, 09:09 AM   #25
armoredman

BIG hands? Try a CZ 97, but for $300, good luck.
NYC? GOOD luck!

Tags
beginner , desert eagle .50