The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old April 15, 2011, 05:36 PM   #1
Coyote WT

inherited S&W .38 Special

Well, more of "pre-inherited" since dad's still healthy and alive. He hasn't been active in shooting in so long he felt it was time to hand down his collection to someone who will use and enjoy it. I'm also taking home his reloading gear and a Remington 22 rifle my mom bought for him shortly after they were married. That brings our collection to

3 pistols, 2 rifles and a shotgun. Am I a gun nut yet?

Last edited by Coyote WT; April 16, 2011 at 08:46 AM.
Old April 15, 2011, 05:47 PM   #2
MrDontPlay

Good start. I'd keep those five and pass them down too. Post up some pics!
Old April 15, 2011, 10:49 PM   #3
Winchester_73

Quote:
3 pistols, a rifle and a shotgun. Am I a gun nut yet?
Ummmm.....NO, you're not. Maybe add a few zeros onto your "5" OR shoot for roughly 4 hrs each day, and maybe then, you will enter the discussion.

Congrats on the family heirloom acquisitions.
Old April 16, 2011, 07:17 AM   #4
Baba Louie

Coyote... a REAL Gun Nut would note the exact model S&W .38 Special being "pre-inherited" as the old 1899 HE M&P is a tad different than a Model 14 or 15 of later years and a 64/67 different for yet other reasons. But you're on your way; it sounds like you've got the basics covered.

Now it's "get training, buy ammo, shoot up, repeat often" time.

Reloading equipment? For the .38 or shotgun?

...and just what type of .38 spl is that, again? Oh... yeah... a S&W.
A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington, January 8, 1790, First State of the Union Address
Old April 16, 2011, 08:56 AM   #5
Coyote WT

Baba Louie, you make a valid point. It's a M&P. The reloading gear I have right now is for the .38 and includes the tools to make .38 bird shot (pretty cool in my mind even if I don't have a use for it). Training with all of the weapons is in the process now and I'm going to be looking for a local reloader to ask for some mentorship. I have a LOT of learning to do before I start my own reloading hobby full scale.

Winchester_73, with my obsessive personality and a very flexible sense or prioritizing I don't expect it to be long before we get into double digits. I would love to be able to shoot 4 hours a day! When I was a young man I'd get about 2 hr/day practice in archery and it really paid off.

I spent the night cleaning the new additions. We're going out to the wild later today to send some bullets down range. I'm sure it'll be the first time these weapons have been fired in long time.
Old April 16, 2011, 09:04 AM   #6
Andy Taylor

Congrats, not a gun nut yet, but off to a good start.
Old April 16, 2011, 09:40 AM   #7
robctwo

Quote:
I would love to be able to shoot 4 hours a day!
This qualifies as a gun nut for me, coupled with 5 firearms and a reloading set for sure early gun nut status.

I've been reloading for a few years. I've put 140,000 rounds through a Hornady LnL. Reloading is not that complicated. A mentor is a good idea. I've been mentoring the 38 year old neighbor who has loaded 9,000 rounds since last summer.

For .38 special I like a 125 gr lead round nose (lrn) over 3.0 grains of Bullseye.

Once you decide to get into the reloading there are a lot of resources on the net, including a good reloading forum here.