The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old March 22, 2009, 09:17 PM   #1
Winchester_73

S&W model 1 1/2 barrel bulge

I got this S&W from an auction recently and I was very pleased with it until I discovered this slight barrel bulge. I heard that theres no real way to fix it but I thought I'd ask anyways. Thanks

misc pictures 034.jpg

misc pictures 046.jpg

misc pictures 042.jpg
Old March 22, 2009, 09:43 PM   #2
Mike Irwin
Staff

Didn't you post this before here?

Or, if that wasn't you, the first quarter of 2009 is the "Old S&W bulged barrel" quarter.

Anyway...

No. No real way to fix it other than cutting the barrel back and relocating the front sight.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old March 22, 2009, 09:49 PM   #3
Winchester_73

Hi Mike

I posted this in the curio and relics section one other time. I posted it here for obvious reasons.
Old March 22, 2009, 09:56 PM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

Somebody shot an obstruction out of that barrel. No, there is nothing you can do to fix it; cutting the barrel will remove most of the barrel markings and would (IMHO) be worse than doing nothing. If you got it at a reasonable price, it is still of interest as the first (1878) S&W top break revolver.

Jim
Old March 24, 2009, 08:57 PM   #5
Winchester_73

I got it for $220. It has original grips. The gun is tight and ejects properly. It also shoots well. The one grip has a chip out of it. Was it a good deal?
I did buy it without seeing the bulge. Believe it or not, I overlooked it 2x when I personally examined the gun. What do you guys think?
Old March 27, 2009, 04:47 PM   #6
James K
Member In Memoriam

The price is about average, not a steal, but not too bad.

I have gotten to like the old S&Ws and have several of them. I have a couple of .38 breaktops that had very bad nickel jobs, so I had the nickel removed electrically, then polished and blued them. I didn't try to match the blue of that era, but matched the then current S&W blue very well.

For replacement grips, try www.gungrip.com (North Carolina Ordnance). Incredibly, you can also use wood J frame grips with no change except taking some off the bottom. S&W has not changed their basic small round-butt grip shape in over 125 years.

Jim
Old March 29, 2009, 11:01 PM   #7
norsecat

Bulge in Barrel

If it shoots OK Id just leave it alone.
It wont look right if the barrel is cut back unless the patent dates are also milled off.
And the gun refinished.
A very fine bead blast and sanding to a high finish for a reblue would probably look best