The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old January 20, 2007, 11:20 AM   #51
GalilARM

The bathroom scene from the movie True Lies comes to mind for some reason...
Old January 20, 2007, 04:58 PM   #52
gyp_c2

hmm...

...I was just thinkin' that there might be some folks that don't have a lot of choices when it comes to the locations available for relief...

A truck driver is the most obvious...since they are frequently required to be in odd places at odd hours and completely...alone, some data exchange might not be a waste of time...hmmm?

Probably others, but it would seem reasonable to me that someone hauling expensive cargo, haz-mat, or just sanitary napkins might have a slightly different perspective..
Old January 29, 2007, 05:36 AM   #53
Socrates

I regularly go to areas of the competing murder capitols of the US, Richmond and Oakland, and, my travels take me into areas most folks don't want to go to.

This is a SERIOUS issue, and, it's a very difficult one for me.

So far, my solution is thunderwear, with a Beretta 22 short.

I'm hoping to be able to move up to the .357 360PD, if I can make it a bit more secure, and, cut the grip down a bit...

S
Old January 29, 2007, 08:41 AM   #54
Eghad

Try going to the bathroom in full battle rattle with your m16A2. Now thats a challenge. Or back in the day before porta potties when you had the slit trench and it was tripod mode. On some days due to the medications I take I probably wouldnt have to shoot the perp he would probably seize up when he yanked the door open. Those arent courtesy flushes I give I call em survival flushes some days.

On the serious side I wonder how many assualts happen in public restrooms?

NRA Life Member
Old January 29, 2007, 10:36 AM   #55
Glenn E. Meyer

Had to use the facilities at the IDPA range. Many strange looking, heavily armed men around. However, with situational awarenes during the sit down - I survived.
Old January 29, 2007, 12:35 PM   #56
Socrates

Quote:
On the serious side I wonder how many assualts happen in public restrooms?
There are a couple restrooms in San Francisco that I wouldn't go into unless in full battle armour. Down by Ocean Beach, but across the highway. Thought they would be a good place to change into a wetsuit. BOY was I wrong...

I've been beat over the head with a Walther PPKS in Mel's Bowl in Alemeda, and, that once is enough for me...

S
Old January 29, 2007, 03:22 PM   #57
Lane

if this hasn't been said before forgive me i have not read all the posts and i dont know too much about concealed carry but why not just stick with a shoulder rig?
Old January 29, 2007, 11:03 PM   #58
tepin

I put the gun itself in my underwear between my legs; its like a hammock. This might not work for you guys that wear thongs or go commando. Sometimes the gun will pick up a few pubic hairs on the slide or on the ejection port but they just blow-off. The nice thing about 'hammock carry' is you will not forget the gun in the stall, it cannot be seen by the person in the stall next to you and if you need the gun its readily accessible. Great question.
Old January 30, 2007, 05:31 PM   #59
Covert Mission

re: "The big question was whether to wipe with the dominant hand for better cleanliness or the nondominant hand and risk having poor control of the gun"

ROTFL! Now that is the question of the day! Depends on which part of the world you're in too... left for wiping, right for eating, or is it the reverse, dang it!
Old January 30, 2007, 06:54 PM   #60
Doug.38PR

*sigh* what is this thread coming to?
Old January 30, 2007, 07:07 PM   #61
Big Don

re: "The big question was whether to wipe with the dominant hand for better cleanliness or the nondominant hand and risk having poor control of the gun"

If someone's that bad with the aim, I'd hate to see what happens when they're shooting a gun!

Is this thread circling the drain yet???? (So to speak)

Last edited by Big Don; January 30, 2007 at 07:08 PM. Reason: added comment
Old January 30, 2007, 07:56 PM   #62
Anon

This thread does seem to help sort some things out...

If you actually carry a concealed handgun, you have already worked out the problem posed in the original post (just as you have worked out things like getting into the car, or reaching for an item on the top shelf in a store).

The people who treat the question in a laughing way, have never carried concealed in a waistband holster.
Old January 30, 2007, 09:22 PM   #63
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Is this thread circling the drain yet???? (So to speak)
It's heading in that direction. Come on guys, clean it up!

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Old January 31, 2007, 10:26 AM   #64
Glenn E. Meyer

The people who treat the question in a laughing way, have never carried concealed in a waistband holster.

And you know this how?
Old February 1, 2007, 10:22 PM   #65
stolivar

duh

Why in the hell do you take your gun out of your holster for in the first place......

I see no reason to remove your weapon while going number #2

steve
Old February 2, 2007, 02:01 PM   #66
Edward429451

Quote:
Why in the hell do you take your gun out of your holster for in the first place......
Some of us carry pretty heavy weapons and its just easier than rebuckling the belt around the knees and all that. I don't often use public restrooms anyway, only in emergencies...
Old February 2, 2007, 03:14 PM   #67
rxraptor02

Colostomy bag, problem solved
S&W 66-7 .357mag
Old February 2, 2007, 05:37 PM   #68
badbob

Quote:
Colostomy bag, problem solved
Um... might be a good backup, if you're in a really rough area.

badbob
Old February 3, 2007, 10:27 AM   #69
Samurai

There are no silly questions, only silly people.

Haven't there been about 50 of these threads???

I never use public restrooms, unless I can absolutely help it.

That said, LOCK THE STALL!!!!! If you're so worried about the Zombie Attack that you sit there and fret about whether one of the Flesh Eaters is going to reach in under the stall and grab your gun, then HOW in the WORLD do you expect to relax enough to go to the restroom! If it's really "eating you" so much, AFTER you lock the stall, take the thing out and set it on the back of the toilet seat, stick it in your boot, swallow it, or if your stall has a coat hook then hang it by the trigger guard. Then, sit on the john and pray the Zombies do not hear you.

Really, I understand that some folks just sit and think about this sort of thing, but this question (repeated as many times as it has been) is absolutely ABSURD!

- Why is it that we fire 1,000 rounds and know that we need more practice, but yet we punch a bag 10 times and think we know how to fight?

- When in doubt, train, train, train...
Old February 3, 2007, 05:38 PM   #70
Glenn E. Meyer

1. Action report - went to Sears at Ingram Mall in San Antonio - sometimes thought to have gang members there -although, I've never had a problem with my warrior alertness. However, the urge came on. Tactically, I chose Dillards - an upscale-ish store and it has the can by the service counter providing some alert personnel as first warning. I used the handicap stall for more room such that my arsenal would not be seen. I did not hang concertina wire around the top of the stall or the bottom. However, mission accomplished. I was worried.

2. Hanging your gun on the hook - there is tale, my warrior friends, of a LEO who hung a semi (might have been a 3rd gen Smith) on a hook - the gun's trigger was nudged and it spun like a pinwheel, bouncing the trigger of the hook and emptying the mag - for fun and games in the precinct office!
Old February 5, 2007, 09:48 AM   #71
Samurai

Glen, you don't have a story about someone swallowing one, do you???

... I'm just asking.

- Why is it that we fire 1,000 rounds and know that we need more practice, but yet we punch a bag 10 times and think we know how to fight?

- When in doubt, train, train, train...
Old February 7, 2007, 02:36 AM   #72
Dreadnought

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socrates

I regularly go to areas of the competing murder capitols of the US, Richmond and Oakland, and, my travels take me into areas most folks don't want to go to.
Fortunately for you, you get to leave Richmond. I live here, but I'll be danged if criminals are going to drive me from my beautiful city.

My biggest concern, since I carry open-top IWBs, is someone else in the next stall grabbing the pistol from the holster. I usually try to use the end/handicapped stall because it is bigger and usually cleaner. Most of the germs you will catch something from come from dangling certain parts into places they shouldn't be (got that one from Mythbusters).
I am kind of a germ freak like Monk, I use a paper towel if I don't have to pull a lever to get it to open the door and lock it, I don't I sit down, I then use the towel to flush, open the stall door, turn off the faucet (if necessary), and open the door to leave. I usually keep any of my clothing from touching the floor. Public bathrooms are sometimes filthy, but I've not had a problem with them after getting over a childhood phobia of public p1ssers.

Also, never use a urinal. Bad juju.
Old February 8, 2007, 02:14 PM   #73
Glenn E. Meyer

We now know the answer to this problem - get some Astronaut equipment and you can avoid the paranoid poop syndrome.

I'm sure Cheaper than Dirt, Midway, etc. will start stocking the tactical pooper soon.
Old February 8, 2007, 02:20 PM   #74
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

It seems the only thing left to be gained from this thread is a few chuckles, and I think we've had enough of those to last us for awhile.

Closed.

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Closed Thread